Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless on a road bike
  • Flaperon

Any experiences? Huge success with this on the mountain bike with a squirt of Stans and some Gorilla tape, but doesn’t appear to be the done thing on a road bike. Thinking of it after changing a tube in a stupid place with cold hands and tyre levers that kept pinging off.

scaredypants

If you’re using proper tubeless tyres I think you’ll be fine – I’ve had/got tubeless tyres on “normal” rims without problems. If the fit isn’t tight I’d put another layer of tape on to be sure the bead can’t pop off.

I’ve some RS81s that I “converted” and I put a half-width (cut along its length) rim tape under the yellow tape to make a small “UST-alike” lip. Not sure what it’s actually doing for retention but, meh, I know it’s there

prawny

I wouldn’t risk it. The noise it makes when you put a ghetto MTB tyre up to 40+ psi is bad enough, wouldn’t fancy trying to put 90+ in one.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve wondered this too. My only concern is the extra pressure might just make it too difficult to get a good seal. Let me know how you get on!

tomd
    Free Member

Basically you can use the rim the same way as for mtb using tape / rim strip but you need tubeless tyres so the bead doesn’t stretch and blow off. Folk seem to get away with ghetto with cyclocross tyres up to 40ish psi then it gets a bit iffy. The consequences of a blowout on the road a potentially much worse so I guess folk are less keen to mess around.

mashiehood
    Free Member

As tomd said don’t even think no about using standard tyres …

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk it on the road. Definitely not with normal tyres that’s for sure!

I am interested in ghetto tubeless for cross though….but it seems they’re likely to burp at 20psi and if you can’t go higher than 40 then is it just a bit pointless compared to tubs?

mtbfix

Given the above comments it might do to ask what size tyres you are running. If you’re on 25s at 80+ psi then maybe tread with caution. If you use bigger volumes at lower pressures you might be on safer ground.

tomaso
    Free Member

Not sure I fancy doing 40mph between drystone walls and the tyre popping off

TiRed

I’ve run Schwalbe One Tubeless on ksyrium elite rims with no issues whatsoever. I have never found a tubeless tyre so easy to mount (Track pump, no sealant, nothing – just went straight up!).

I’ve also run CX Pros on stan’s crest which took an age to seal (porous sidewalls).

I reason that if either the tyre or the rim are tubeless, then things will be fine, the technology is in the bead/rim profile, after all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless on a road bike’ is closed to new replies.