Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • ghetto tubeless, my tyres won’t inflate
  • jonb
    Free Member

Trying to ghetto Maxxis advantage onto a 717 rim.

Can’t get it to inflate with a track pump. The garage will have to wait until tomorrow.

Is there a trick to getting the track pump inflation to work? Tried plenty of soapy water, removing valve coars, patting squeezing.

Seems a bit of a faff to have to go down to the garage to put tyres on.

What worked for you?

swisstony
    Free Member

If you’ve tried all of the above, there’s only the garage left i’m afraid. Some people stick an inner tube in an inflate, carefully remove the tube from one side leaving the other seated so you’re half way there but that didn’t work for me either.

Trimix
    Free Member

Use an inner tube, as swisstony says, but leave it in there.

Wally

Get a compressor. Makes it a doddle , if you remove core a huge sudden volume seats any tyre.

theotherjonv

co2 cartridges

goog
    Free Member

take the end off the track pump and put the hose straight on the core

stoney
    Free Member

16g air bomb and then get the track pump on quick. Only that i did the first ride with the front tyre on backwards.
    Doh!!!
    Next night, took it off, caulght most of the fluid, turned it round and it went back on really easy, the tube stayed pressed against the rim. Only thing was, No more air bombs!
    Doh!!!
    By which time i was a little vexed, got the track pump on and got mad with it!!! HEY PRESTO!!… I pumped it that fast the tyre seated and stayed up.

Sorted!

funkynick

Aaaaah… I went through all this over the weekend, and boy was it a pain in the arse!! But I did manage it so there is hope, and I only used a track pump…

What I found is that when the tyre is just sat on the rim before it’s inflated it just tends to sit away from the bead. Plus, on the tubes I had at least, there was a thicker rubber patch around the valve stem that tended to lift the tyre slightly around that area, so as soon as you start pumping all the air just pisses out.

I got round it using some nylon webbing that I had laying around.. you can get it for about a quid a metre at B&Q or similar. I then used this to pack between the rim and the tube for about 5 inches or so either side of the valve. This brought the tyre and the tube a lot closer together, although still not perfectly, but enough that a little squeezing got it inflated. Once I had some air in the tyre, just enough to keep the bead hooked in, I pulled out the webbing and the tyre sprung into place and seated perfectly. Then pump it up and Bob’s your uncle.

I also found that once you deflate the tyre to put the latex/gunk/whatever in, the tyre bead came away from the tube again, so I needed to use the same method to get them to re-inflate.

I’m beginning to think that maybe the tubes I am using are too thick, and that thinner ones would be better/easier. Am try some thinner tubes on the girlfriends bike soon, and see how they compare.

Had the first short ride out on the newly tubeless wheels today, and they worked fine… not sure what pressure to use in the yet though, the normal pressure that I run seemed a little hard, so some experimenting is called for I think.

Good luck with it…

collie
    Free Member

I found the only way to get Advantages onto my XM321 rims was with a cartridge.

mwleeds

Not sure what rims strips you’re using but there’s a good video on the Stans no tubes site. The most important things to remember seem to be 1) to spend a few minutes spreading the tire on the rim and then 2) hold the tire by the valve with one hand whilst pumping with the other (with the valve core removed). I’ve definitely had some head aches but it’s usually when I forget point 1.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

high rollers on to 321’s were a nightmare, absolute doddle on 717’s though

nickc

It’s a shit system and you know it. Using a compressor to inflate a bike tyre…FFS…

devs
    Free Member

It’s a shit system and you know it. Using a compressor to inflate a bike tyre…FFS…

The initial faff is far less than the amount of time you spend fixing punctures. I know there are such technically brilliant riders here that they never get punctures but I was on 3 a week. I’ve had none on ghetto and the only one’s i’ve had on UST wrote off the tyre anyway. A tube wouldn’t have prevented that. I am a clumsy fat knacker by the way. It’s not a shit system for me. 🙂 Oh and CO2 from tyreinflators.co.uk. They are the biz at getting the tyres to seat.

grumm
    Free Member

Can someone recommend a good cheapo co2 cartridge thingy? Which one did you get from that link devs?

I was on 3 a week. I’ve had none on ghetto

I am a clumsy fat knacker

Me too – this sounds promising!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Make sure the bead is perfectly straight by fitting tyre and tube and leave inflated overnight.

Get some sealant between the tyre bead and rim.

Avoid deformation by not resting the tyre on the ground when trying to inflate.

If you don’t succeed, have a beer and try again later.

jonb
    Free Member

Cheers guys, well I’ll try the compressor at sainsbury’s tonight, it’s only down the road, my club is also putting in bulk orders for CO2 making them about 50p each so I’ll get some of those.

I’m hoping the initial faff is worth it. I normally put a set of tyres on and run them until the end of their life rather than changing them every ride. If it avoids ounctures it’s well worth doing. I’d rather spend a few hours doing this than changing tubes in the dark/rain/mud etc. Where I ride on night rides puctures are quite common as it’s on the edge of newcastle so plenty of hedge rimmings and broken glass to get you. I decided to go tubeless after getting three punctures in one ride. Out of a group of 20 riders everybody running tubes got punctures, most more than one.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I used to puncture regularly, non since going tubeless.

tyreinflators.com is cheap for co2 cans

runswithscissors

I got one of these from machine mart for £45..damaged box so reduced, with tubes at around £4 a pop and three bikes in the household it is well worth the investment to go tubeless and this baby will seat any tyre almost instantly however hamfistedly i plonk it on the rim!

BluePalomino
    Free Member

jonb – What ghetto method have you used? if you used the 20″ tube method make sure you have thoroughly washed the 20″ tube first in warm soapy water. Also are you sure that rim is dink-free?

Trimix
    Free Member

Its really amazing the lengths you poor old tubeless chaps have to go to. I was going to add some sarcastic comments, but Im lauging at the thread anyway so I will leave you all to your techniques and compressors and claims of 3 punctures a week.

Perhaps we will get a thread with tubeless singlespeeders, that would be even more amazing.

loris
    Free Member

I found pushing the tyre (push the tyre down to force the tyre walls out to the rim) by the valve inlet to stop so much air escaping and pumping like mad did the trick, was quite suprised how easy it was.

Oh and yes I am a tubeless singlespeeder, in fact all of the singlespeeders I ride with run tubeless, 1 Stans, 1 UST and 1 Ghetto.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

One of my WTBs seated first time with the core removed. Ihe other stubbornly refused, so I used a CO2 cartridge, easy peasy.

sv

Neat washing up liquid on both beads, compressor does pop them on very easily as does the CO2 carts.

The system works well for me.

Get some foam tape from maplins, http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33766.
    Run it round the rim, but stop about 10mm short of the valve hole either end to allow for the valve bulge in the rim strip.
    One or two layers should take up any gap between the tyre and rim, making it easier to inflate.

turnip
    Free Member

contact adhesive on the tyre beads……. as soon as it touches the bead sticks and doesnt come off even if you burp the tyre while DH riding. Track pump is plenty if you glue them

I put a half inch hole through the middle of the tread of my conti diesels last weekend, first pucture i have had in 6 years of ghetto tubeless!

peachos
    Free Member

I found pushing the tyre (push the tyre down to force the tyre walls out to the rim) by the valve inlet to stop so much air escaping and pumping like mad did the trick, was quite suprised how easy it was.

this is what i ended up doing too. get the valve at the top and push the middle of the tyre down. only difference is that i had made my way to the petrol station after numerous failed attempts with the track pump and a few beers. 2nd wheel took about a third of the time to inflate than the 1st!

devs
    Free Member

Which one did you get from that link devs?

This inflator is the biz

And a box of 30 16g threaded cannisters will last me about 10 years for 15 squid or something daft.

hora
    Free Member

high rollers on to 321’s were a nightmare

Aye- me too at the weekend. Gave up- seeing multiple squeeks of milk coming out all along the rim

xc-steve
    Free Member

Fold the tire inside out and leave for 10min or so, should do the trick.

Bimbler
    Free Member

This

hora
    Free Member

Fold the tire inside out and leave for 10min or so, should do the trick.

Nope!

Will also go down the petrol station pump

coffeeking
    Free Member

I@ve had the same problem for the past few days with mine, just cant get it to catch and seat, but I have no access to a compressor.

Tonight I’m genuinely going to attempt this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcjAIChQuA

I’ll video it too 🙂

When I turn up to work with burned eyebrows and a tyre with a snapped bead we can all have a chuckle 😀

xc-steve
    Free Member

Won’t that just burn off the sealant?

jonb
    Free Member

Tried most of the above, got velox rim tape under the tube.

No CO2 but I may order some, useful anyway having seen it used on road bikes compared to a minipump.

My rims are old and have dings, is this a killer?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nah, there’s loads of moisture in the sealant and the gas goes out pretty fast. I’ll try it on an old tyre first and some sealant first 😀

ScotlandTheScared

Jon,
    have you tried pinching the tyre in one place to make the bead tight against the rim/black tape? Or you could try putting an extra layer of black tape on. The bead is basically too loose to create a proper seal so take up the slack somehow. Also – you could try using neat washing up liquid rather than diluted to help make the seal…

Good luck – wont catch you this Thursday but will see you next week… any news on the forks?!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well I gave it a go, judge for yourself 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfZlYQgGkN0

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

put a tube in and getthe tryw to sit neatlyin the bead then leave for a bit beofre dismantling and having nother go. Oh, squash the tyre down by the valve as hyou pump

ands use watery soap, not soapy water, and lots of

its worth the effort

jonb
    Free Member

How do you get a tube in as you need to have the rim strip in otherwise it seems pointless as you have to remove the whole thing to get the rim strip in and the tyre is no longer seated.

Sansbury’s compressor was crap. Was controlled inflation up to a set ps rather than a burst, need to find a nother garage. Unless anyone in Newcastle has a compressor?

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve always managed to get 717 and all tyres i’ve used to inflate using a trackpump.

I always have the valve towards the top and I push down (squash) the tyre whilst pumping. If it won’t inflate i use loads more soapy water that always does the trick, and of course always have the valve removed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘ghetto tubeless, my tyres won’t inflate’ is closed to new replies.