Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ghetto Tubeless – More satisfying than sex!
  • Mintyjim

I bought two 20″ inner tubes this w/e for a £5 each, performed 5min of ghetto tubeless magic per wheel and hey presto it sealed and worked perfectly first time!!
    I’m absolutely gobsmacked at how easy it worked. Far quicker, cleaner and easier than my experiences with UST over the last 5 years (XM819 and EX823 rims).

FYI: I used DT 5.1 rims, black electrical tape, Schwalbe 2.4 Snakeskin Nobby Nics and 20″ Schwalbe innertubes. Did a 2 hr XC ride the same day at about 28psi including 3 runs of the Cwmcarn DH track and they worked a treat.
    I am a very happy and smug boy!

pjt201
    Free Member

bah. i tried this exact method on sunday and couldn’t get the tyres to seat at all. 2.35″ kenda bluegroove on on-one reetard rims. did you just use a track pump or did you have a compressor?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

More satisfying than sex

What a lot of pumping and huffing and ends up with white spooge everywhere?

SSP

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s a good method, but don’t over hype it! 🙂

collie
    Free Member

pjt201, I changed my ghetto set up this weekend from Conti Mountain Kings to Maxxis Advantage. The MKs went on fine with a track pump but the Advantage’s needed a blast from a CO2 cartridge. So its probably worth trying that method. Oh, and use plenty of soapy water.

Mintyjim

I used loads of soapy water all over the inner tube and tyre bead (I used car shampoo with a little water through a spray gun). I used a track pump whilst giving the tyre a squeeze near the valve.
    Honestly it was easier (for me) than 4 sets of pukka UST wheelsets.

I know I got lucky! And maybe the sex comment would get my arse kicked if my beloved saw that! So I’ll retract that please!

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, and improved by the addition of soapy water!

tinsy
    Free Member

What sealant did you put in? or are they UST tyres anyhow?

matt_outandabout

Cue *that* picture from the Badger thread….

pjt201
    Free Member

yeah, ordered a co2 inflator now. did use lots of soapy water, but think i’ll use watery soap next time i try!

Mintyjim

the car shampoo with a little water was very slippery and great as it causes a slick seal between the tube and tyre.
    Tyres were non-UST, just standard Snakeskin jobbies, I used some justridingalong latex stuff which worked great for all my old UST purposes. The tyres actually sealed pretty well without the latex.

karmamac
    Free Member

the trick isnt soapy water .
    the trick is to put more rim tape on if it wont seat.
    you want your makeshift rimtape to be touching the beads of the tyre all the way round. no slack. before you try to pump it up.
    the tyre will still be easy to remove/replace but you create a temporary seal so that when you pump up. with any pump. the air doesnt escape.

Its on the back of the stans packaging if anyone bothered to read it.
    once you have done the first one . you should know how much tape goes on the second.

devs
    Free Member

5 quid a tube is daylight robbery! I find that storing the tyres inside out for a while before fitting just makes them work.

cynic-al
    Free Member

draft excluder in the rim well can help sealing

pjt201
    Free Member

Will electrical tape do the job of proper rim tape?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Tubeless – More satisfying than sex!’ is closed to new replies.