Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ghetto tubeless, dt5.1, have i just been lucky?
  • daveh
    Free Member

Decided the time had come to try tubeless and last night was the night. Rim cleaned, tube stretched on and split, Hans dampf persuaded on, valve core removed, other tyre pumped to 70 psi then connected to the new setup, up she goes, pop pop pop. It’s held its pressure all night and hasn’t even got sealant in yet. I though this was supposed to be a nightmare *premature smugness*?! Have I missed something?

MarkN
    Free Member

No you have not missed any thing. I sometimes get a mare but normally they go on fine.

kiwijohn

No, it can be that easy.
    Threw some cheap Michelins on my EX500’s last night. I had UST Continentals on before with Stans strips & they went up with a track pump. These needed a compressor, but are still tight as a drum.

daveh
    Free Member

Good stuff, I guess the test will be when I try the rear one tonight!

Kiwijohn- what do you mean by tight as a drum? How do you check that? I’ve seen stuff about building up the rim to prevent burping but didn’t do anything like that.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Do the tubes have to be presta or shrader valves? Or doesn’t it matter?

daveh
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter as far as I know, presta let you secure the valve with a nut on the inside of the rim but there again you can get threaded Schrader valves too. I used Schrader because I’d previously drilled the rim out but didn’t bother with the retaining nut, I can’t see it causing a problem, it’s a pretty tight push fit in the hole anyway and the tube was only £1.50!

Conan257
    Free Member

Just wait till it’s all sorted with fluid in…

…and you realise your valve/tyre logo orientation is different on each wheel!

kiwijohn

Some tyres are a bit porous & can go down over night, but the Michelins are still tight.
    First ride will be tonight, now I’m worried about burping them. Better take 2 spare tubes.

daveh
    Free Member

Decided just to do one for now for that very reason, double burp would be too stressful!

kiwijohn

I needn’t have worried. Tyres held up fine, could probably lose a few psi as well.

tobin
    Free Member

I ran ghetto on Mavic EX721s/High Rollers and it worked perfectly, including alps trips etc. However, when I did exactly the same thing with DT EX500s/High Rollers they inflated and held pressure just fine, but burped really badly on the trail. Went back to tubes midway through my first ride. Same tyres, different rims, but with a rather more ‘exciting’ trail characteristics, so just use a bit of caution on the first few rides.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto tubeless, dt5.1, have i just been lucky?’ is closed to new replies.