Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ghetto Tubeless
  • SBrock
    Free Member

Im thinking of going ghetto tubeless…….. probably go the rim tape way as it seems a bit cleaner!

Is it essential to have a compressor or will a track pump be ok?

Also they are wire bead High rollers going onto DT5.1 rims!

Any tips anyone can give me?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use 20" BMX tubes on my DT 5.1's with Ignitor exceptions (very light kevlar bead), they went up with a track pump no worries.

One tip is, when I was inflating them first time the air leaked out of the tyre where the valve was, so I pressed the tyre onto the rim with my hand and pumped away, this helped massivley with inflation.

The answers to all your questions: ghetto tubeless

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you haven't got a compressor then you'll need forearms like Popeye. I haven't tried a wire bead though, if you can get a good seal on the rim then you may well get away with it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm still working on my fire inflation. As yet I've not found anything that works.

fire inflation failure

SBrock
    Free Member

great thanks cove!

sockpuppet

you can get a CO2 pump and *lots* cartridges for the price of a compressor!

most tyres i've tried on my 5.1s went up with a track pump, the others all went with a blast of CO2

and plus one for alan's site above

13thfloormonk

I was advised to run my steel bead tyres with a tube for a day or two, in order to straighten out any small kinks in the bead.

Also, you can make life a lot easier for yourself by making sure the tyre is a tight fit. I do this by building up the rim with a few layers of insulating tape. This reduces the space between the bead of the tyre and the rim tape, leaving less of a gap for the air to pour out the sides.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.