Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ghetto rim tape
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Can I just use electrical insulation tape or is it worth buying proper rim tape?

Stoner
    Free Member

I went for the proper stuff. Ive used PVC tape as an emergency rim tape (non ghetto) and always found it a bit rubbish. Too flexible and prone to stretching through spoke holes etc.
    When you fit the proper stuff (and watch the stans vids on youtube for that) you get a feel of how the tape is good for the job.
    Cheapest place I found was eBay

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve used insulating tape for years,never had an issue. Just go round 3 or 4 times.

singlespeedstu

For tooblessin I use this stuff.

Much cheaper than stans yellow tape and works just as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_kw=1+Roll+Of+STRONG+CROSSWEAVE+REINFORCED+TAPE+25mm+x+50M&_id=180875355845

johnnystorm

Roval tape is a tenner a roll and there must be enough on them for a dozen wheels if not more.

Stoner
    Free Member

that crossweave looks good stu.

highclimber
    Free Member

Thanks folks, might get some of that crossweave stuff. kinda hoping I could do it today but I ain’t going riding for a few days so it can wait!

thanks folks

jgb100
    Free Member

Gorilla Tape works great and is cheap and waterproof. Google Gorilla tape ghetto.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Double wrap some insulation tape and ride your bike today? Even if it bothers you, it’ll last a ride (it’s lasted me about 4 years).

Northwind

Decent insulating tape is fine- if it pushes into the spoke holes significantly, you’re just not using enough. But, it’s a little easier to damage when changing tyres than Roval or Stans tape is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve had the crossweave stuff peel off after sealant was added.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 crossweave

get the rim properly clean and dry – sand, then clean with brake cleaner (and I dry with a blowtorch…) and it won’t come unstuck. I’ve done road tubeless with it at 90psi (with no rimstrip) and had no issues.

bedmaker

Another vote for the fibreglass crossweave stuff. Used for years, 1 roll has done about 10 wheels.
    As Al says, it can peel at the edges, but this has only happened to me after years rather than months. It never leaked though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting reggie.

singlespeedstu

If you use the crossweave tape I linked to just put a tube in inflate it and leave it for a day.
    That seals the tape end down a lot better and stops it lifting when you put the jizz in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto rim tape’ is closed to new replies.