Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ghetto Huck Norris?
  • scary_carey
    Free Member

Evening folks, just been looking at the Huck Norris rim defender tyre interface thingys and wondering what people’s thoughts are on using this as a “ghetto” solution…
    https://shop.deltarubber.co.uk/rubber-strip/expanded-neoprene-rubber-strip/expanded-neoprene-rubber-strip.html
    The strips are available in 50mm which is the same width as the HN I’d need for ny set up. I figure that all I’d need to do is notch the edges so it grips the tyre, and cut a few holes through the middle to let the sealant flow through.
    If this strip will work it’ll do two wheels for a quater the cost of the HC
    Sooo yay, nay or maybe?
    Cheers
    Mark

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d have thought that’d be way to soft. EPDM is used for air seals and its pretty compressible. I think the Huck Norris foam is more like a Plastazote

BoardinBob

I don’t get this whole huck norris type system

I’m 200lbs, ran some ridiculously low pressures (<18psi) and never had any issues.

In 6 years of tubeless Ive had 2 punctures that wouldn’t seal and and that was because the tyre was destroyed. The covers racing and alps stupidity.

It feels like a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist or warrant it

scary_carey
    Free Member

They also do a rubber version which might be tougher but a tad heavier…
    https://shop.deltarubber.co.uk/rubber-strip/solid-neoprene-rubber-strip/solid-neoprene-rubber-strip.html
    Slightly more expensive as well but still a fraction of the price of the HN

scary_carey
    Free Member

It not really the puncture protection that I’m interested in – it’s more for protecting the rim. Or am I completely missing the point

BoardinBob

Again, 200lbs, hit every single rock and root with zero dings. You’d have to be an absolute putz to destroy a rim

amedias
    Free Member

Again, 200lbs, hit every single rock and root with zero dings. You’d have to be an absolute putz to destroy a rim

Well you’re either a riding god or a massive mincer 🙂

I weigh a lot less than you, and over a decades worth of tubeless I’ve probably trashed about half a dozen rims and at least twice as many tyres, punctures occasional and pressures in the 20-35psi area depending on size/use. Same again if not more in the preceding non-tubeless decade before that…

About 50/50 split in terms of racing or training when breakages happen so not always when I’m tired or being silly.

Fair play to you if you never puncture or ding rims but some of us mortals do, and until we’ve learnt to be super smooth at full speed we might still need the extra pressure or protection until we’ve mastered it 😉

Not a HN user BTW but I can see why people are using them.

mboy
    Free Member

😆

My sides are literally splitting!

I’m 30lb lighter than you, run WAY more pressure in my tyres, and I’ve done plenty of damage to rims over the years from “just riding along”…

Ok so we’re not all the same, I’m not trying to challenge you to a pissing contest either, my point is there’s ALWAYS someone out there that rides harder than you and breaks a lot more kit, no matter what you think…

Sooo yay, nay or maybe?

Huck Norris works cos it’s closed cell foam. Put some open cell in there, and not only will it absorb pints of sealant like a sponge, but it will do sweet FA towards actually protecting your rims!

If you MUST ghetto a Huck Norris, buy a closed cell foam camping mat then cut it into strips.

scary_carey
    Free Member

Thanks for the input chaps, found a couple of places that do the Plastazote in strip form so I might go down that route…. or just suck it up and get the HN 😀
    FYI – I’m 75kg fully tooled up and I’ve spazzed quite a few rims in my time even with 25psi + tyre pressure. Just think its a good idea for that bit more security
    Cheers,
    Mark

leebaxter
    Free Member

Im a Putz

bullandbladder
    Free Member

You don’t get much Putz these days.

continuity
    Free Member

The whole “I never cracked a rim” is the same bullshit as the “I’ve never had a problem sealing tubeless tyres” crowd. No, you aren’t special. No, these other people aren’t being retards.

In this case you probably just ride slower than them.

Also it’s about cornering stability, tyre roll and burping air. Again, if this has never been an issue for you at <18psi and 200lbs you just aren’t cornering that fast.

mboy
    Free Member

No, you aren’t special. No, these other people aren’t being retards.

In this case you probably just ride slower than them.

Again, if this has never been an issue for you at <18psi and 200lbs you just aren’t cornering that fast.

😆

Bravo sir, well said! 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Huck Norris using Putz here. Only on the rear in the DH bike but it’s great. Recently saw that the rocky mountain EWS riders use arch rims and huck Norris.

thekettle
    Free Member

130lb Huck Norris Klutz here, loving them for riding the Lakes. All my tires get killed by tearing at the bead when they get pinched against the rim. Happens with SuperGravity Scwalbes and TCS Tough WTBs. This system means I can run tyres that aren’t dual ply monsters. Afer getting through 12 tires in a year previously, the HNs have quickly paid for themselves.

continuity
    Free Member

I thought they were using cushcore?

howdoo
    Free Member

Yes your correct – they’re using cushcore with Stan’s arch rims

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My humble humble apologies

scary_carey
    Free Member

In my ongoing quest for a DIY Huck Norris I stumbled across these…. https://www.csixx.co.za/products/foamo
    You can get 4 shipped to UK for less than £80! Seems like a great alternative to the HC with a more realistic price tag
    Cheers,
    Mark

asbrooks

nickjb
    I’d have thought that’d be way to soft. EPDM is used for air seals and its pretty compressible. I think the Huck Norris foam is more like a Plastazote

As Nick says it would be Plastazote, a polyethylene to be more precise. Polyethylene is a closed cell foam so will not soak up any of the sealant.
    You can buy a sheet for around £8 plastazote
    Let us know how you get on. 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Huck Norris?’ is closed to new replies.