Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ghetto Garmin GPS mount
  • ace_sparky
    Free Member

I have a Garmin GPS60 which usually sits on the bars using the Garmin handle bar mount, which I also believe is the same mount for the Garmin Etrex series and looks something like this.

The problem I have found with this is that the GPS sticks out from the bars in quite a bit in a bit of a dodgy position and ever time I have had a stack 😳 it seems to get ripped off the bars 8O. The GPS is always fine thanks to Garmins tough construction but the mount is never quite so lucky.

I have always liked the way the Gramin edge mounts central on the stem which looks like a safer position would also make it easier to use. So after various attempts involving cable ties, elastic, bits of foam and what ever else I could find in the garage I finally came up with this.

This is another mount I had kicking around which I had to buy when I had oversize bars and with the aid of a bit of epoxy putty, a few cable ties and a bit of rubber(which came with the mount)I made a stem mount. 8)

Now the GPS mounts like this.

It still uses the exsisting cradle that the GPS clips into so it can be easily fitted and removed and is very sturdy, I tried it out on a 3 hour ride today with no problems. If anyone wants more details on how it’s made just ask, it’s very easy to make.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Nice- I’ve been wrestling with the same problem- thy don’t do n oversize bar mount do they? Mine is now mounted over by the bar lever….

Did you cut down the original mount, or buy a new one?

ace_sparky
    Free Member

eviljoe, they do sell an oversize bar mount, you just buy the mount and not the whole kit.

My original mount is a bit knackered and doesn’t hold the gps in it’s cradle very well. I cut down the oversize one I had which is pretty much brand new.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

how did you cut it?

bumbly1
    Free Member

I did a similar mod for my gps 60, much better.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Just cut it with a hacksaw, then finished it off with wet & dry paper. god idea to cut it just a little bit too big as it’s easy tp rub down and get level.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

all done – cheers for the inspiration

racing_ralph
    Free Member

all done – cheers for the inspiration

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto Garmin GPS mount’ is closed to new replies.