Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ghetto and UST. What can I mix & match ?
  • Bit of a dull question, but I’ve been running ghetto tubeless for a while on both 26″ and 29″ and never really looked in to UST.

I’m now looking at buying some new or second hand wheels and tyres or getting some wheels built.

If I go to UST, what can I mix up ?

Will a standard tyre fit a UST rim ?

Will a UST tyre fit a standard rim ?

snaps
    Free Member

Will a UST tyre fit a standard rim ?

Yes, I’ve been running 2.35 & 2.5 HiRoller USTs on Mavic XM321s with a cut 20″ inner tube as a rim strip for over a year with zero punctures & only one burp after I tried running to low a pressure in it @ Afan (22psi – normally ride with 28psi)

boxelder

Depends on the brand of tyre – Maxxis are good both ways. You’ll find some UST tyres to be very tight to fit, so a pain with ghetto tubeless. Go for Stams rims and you can’t go wrong. I’ve also found DT rims with their rim strips good, and Mavic 717 with Stans strips.
    I’ve a spare pair of Stan’s strips if in need?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Thanks both. I was hoping for a straightforward yes or no answer, not “Depends on the brand of tyre…”.
    Life’s never that simple though, is it. 😕

It’s a second hand wheel with Stan’s Flow rim I’m going to have a look at this morning.
    That’s why I was wondering whether my existing tyres will fit and whether I should buy a matching front wheel.

boxelder

On a Stans rim, I reckon most tyres will work

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto and UST. What can I mix & match ?’ is closed to new replies.