Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ghetto again…
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

'lo all.

I ghettoizinated my wheels last night. Did it slightly differently on each of them, as a sort of experiment.

Rear wheel has a layer of foam tape, then one layer on electrical tape (wrapped twice, overlapping to cover the entire rim-bed width).
    Front wheel just has a double layer of electrical tape.

Now, both tyres inflate ok, and are still holding air after a night left in the garage. However, when I deflated the tyres after the initial bead-seating, the rear tyre unseated. I put the liquid in and inflated it again, and it seated properly, and is still up, but could there be potential problems if the bead is not as secure as it should be?

Front tyre was fine. In fact, I snapped a tyre lever trying to get the bead off for latex filling time.

scaredypants

sonds wrong to me – the wheel with the thinner taping seating better and harder to get on/off ??

I wonder if the rear never actually seated onto the rim properly (did you pump em right up to "set" them ?)

16stonepig
    Free Member

Yep, pumped up to 40psi, and the tyre appeared to be sitting evenly all the way around.

scaredypants

lots of watery soap ?

I pump mine up to at least 50 and wait for a "ping" (haven't had a blow out other than one misshapen carcass that went at 30 psi)

VanHalen

i had this with a 'tubeless ready' bonty jones tyre.

the diameter of the tyre bead was significantly smaller than the diameter of the rim (mavic en321) bead and therefore it was a right twunt to get on the rim. (it inflated really easily as it sealed to the center portion of the rim!) it needed to be inflated to 60psi+ to get it to seat.

as soon as i lowered the pressure sufficently to ride off road it burped in the fist bermed corner resulting in a quality crash and a fecked tyre.

it was definately not a tyre to be used tubless despite what it said on the tyre.

16stonepig
    Free Member

as soon as i lowered the pressure sufficently to ride off road it burped in the fist bermed corner resulting in a quality crash and a fecked tyre.

Hmm, maybe I will try again with less padding. The front is certainly secure.

VanHalen

i cant see padding to the central bit of hte rim affecting how the tyre seats. it would just help initial inflation?

is it the same tyre rim combo? some tyres are better suited than others.

to be fair my example is quite extreme. i`ve never known a tyre bead so tight even on DH tyres. it was properly tought on the centre portion of the rim prior to inflation.

proving its not silly tight and you dont need to over-inflate to seat it it will probably be fine providing you dont go too low on the PSI.

scaredypants

i cant see padding to the central bit of hte rim affecting how the tyre seats

If there's a lot of padding and no central well left, getting a tyre on or off would be harder
    If there's also a lot of padding at the edges (ie extra tape across full width of the rim, it'll take more force to push the tyre out of the well and onto the raised shoulders

[edit: … but yeah, extra padding ONLY in the centre wouldn't affect seating on the shoulders (if the space is wide enough for the wider UST tyre bead to sit "flat")]

16stonepig
    Free Member

Same tyre and rim. Only difference is the amount of padding.
    When inflated, the rear tyre is definitely out against the rim wall, I'm just wondering if the extra material is pushing the bead up and inwards when the air pressure drops.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ghetto again…’ is closed to new replies.