Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Ghent-Wevelgem (spoilers!)
  • rOcKeTdOg

nearing the interesting point, wrong way up the Kemelberg too, about to get interesting

dantsw13

Where is it on?

leffeboy

you could try rtbf.be but it might be georestricted. Otherwise cyclingfans usually has a list of links

rOcKeTdOg

sky ch464/whatever the Bike channel is on other media

leffeboy

awesome effort by the 4 up front. great stuff. hope Sagan has something left for the end

rOcKeTdOg

can’t see past Fabs myself, wish it was Sagan though, if only for the possibility of podium shenanigans

mrmo
    Free Member

sagan will be second, he always is, his World Championship win was a screw up.

NormalMan

Cheering for Sagan here. Really hope he can do it.

rOcKeTdOg

Kutznetzov could be a dark horse, doing no turn

leffeboy

hope not but he’s looking better now than 10 mins ago

Sam

Going to be a great finale, looks like these four are staying away. Will be cheering hard for Sagan here!

leffeboy

liking the inner ring “Kuznetsov travelling in the first class wagon on second class ticket”

NormalMan

Yes!

slowoldman

🙂

Sam

Take that mrmo! 😉

tang
    Free Member

Sagan is class. Classics warming up nicely!

vickypea
    Free Member

Really chuffed for Sagan 🙂

bigdaddy

Sounds like a really nasty accident for Demoitie though? Anyone any more details other than ‘run over by a motorbike’ which is all the BBC was saying?

butcher

Reportedly in a very serious condition in ICU, according to Cycling Weekly I think it was. Sounds bad. But no more details than that really. Though I took it that he was run over after he crashed.

simmy
    Free Member

Quick google suggest he is in ICU.

From what I’ve read, he had a crash and was struck whilst either still lying on the ground or getting back on his feet.

Prayers and thoughts are with him and his family.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve just read elsewhere that he has passed away sadly.

Can’t get link to paste on my phone

shadowrider
    Free Member

I think the rumours of him passing away are false, apparently not in good shape but still fighting

mrblobby
    Free Member

Team Twitter at half nine was that the situation was still very serious.

lightman
    Free Member
    tang
    Free Member

Confirmed now. Tragic news.

rOcKeTdOg

🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

😐

Rorschach
    Free Member

😥

anagallis_arvensis

Awful news

franksinatra

Even more tragic since BMC General Manager posted this open letter to UCI exactly one month ago pleading for safety to be reviewed

Please do something to stop a rider being killed by a motorbike

I assume he takes no satisfaction from being right about that prediction

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

There’s been several high profile collisions with motos the last 18 months (including Taylor Phinney and Sagan) and even avoiding apportioning direct blame via moto rider error, the sheer number of motos seems excessive, and something that the UCI and race organisers can easily control. Think I saw on twitter that at one stage there were 13 motos in between the break away and chasing group? More traffic means less room for error for everybody.

Terrible news, the guy was only 25 and had raced his first WT race days earlier (E3), and tweeted about how chuffed he was to get in the break.

xyeti
    Free Member

That’s terrible news, saddening especially as FS said above, watching the Catalunya footage some of the motos were getting in the way on the descents at great speed and indeed the climbs, something needs to be done to limit the amount of vehicles littering the route.

Thoughts to this riders family and friends.

butcher

There has to be some kind of serious review about motor traffic in races after this. There must have been a dozen instances involving motos in the past couple of years, and mostly very easily avoidable.

Should never have happened. Absolutely tragic for him and his family. Whole life ahead of him. It’s maddening.

RIP.

dragon
    Free Member

Terrible news. 🙁

The UCI needs to do a review and implement changes quickly, there have been way too many accidents of this nature over the last few years. I don’t understand how the motos are getting so close and why they can’t stop in time?

xyeti
    Free Member

I think it’s probably got something to do with the Worlds best riders of self propelled bikes competing for space against an ungainly machine often with pillion passengers sometimes sat back to front, the cycle will out manouvre a bugger machine, there’s so many Film crews then the Neutral support crews, paramedic etc.

The UCI clearly need to asses this and quickly as there is a very clear problem here, if it were me riding I’d be looking at having some kind of sit out till something is done.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yer but…

It’s the UCI we’re talking about.

So, so no change this side of the next American Revolution then.

Tweeting “yeh we’re sorry it happened, and working closely with the authorities” means 10x buggier all will happen.

Cookson is so ineffectual, there is no hope.

This situation was called out, by so many riders, yet sod all’s been done about it.

Defender
    Free Member

Tragic news indeed, shouldn’t have happened, but it has, this mustn’t happen again!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Ghent-Wevelgem (spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.