Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ghent
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i’m off to Ghent for a few days, what would you recommend i do once i land?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Try not to be too disappointed. Or take a train somewhere else, like Antwerp or Bruges.

ce9adp
    Free Member

Take your road bike and enjoy some great cycling.

crikey
    Free Member

Better than chocolate box Bruges, nice city with good shops, architecture and lots of decent restaurants.

motivforz
    Free Member

click here for a good guide

We used this guide in January for a weekend. If you’re there on a Friday I would imagine the vrijdagmarkt is good, unfortunately we missed it.

There’s a fair few cathedrals which are very impressive from the outside. We didn’t go inside as we did it on a shoestring budget and it’s a few euro’s to get in. If i remember right St Bavo’s has a tower you can go up and see the whole city.

Go to the canalside and spend a bit of time there, and generally walk the backstreets, there’s a lot going on all around.

Beer – I would recommend:
    good beer, cool atmosphere really nice surroundings and great beer

amazing beer variety (250 varieties all with specific glasses!) and cool place

pub full of trolls – not kidding! but service was carp

Cheap lunch at a soupkitchen

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

It’s a really cool place. Bruges is beautiful, but is actually boring as ****.
    In Ghent, you should definitely go to Plum bike shop. They have a mini-museum downstairs with beautiful old road bikes (no mountain bikes though).
    As Crikey says, good shops and restaurants.
    I’m not a massive gallery person, but there’s a brilliant one there too.

JulianA
    Free Member

See the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb (Het Lam Gods) in St Baaf’s Cathedral
    Go to the Design Museum on Jan Breydelstraat
    Have a beer or two in Der Waterhaus an der Bierkant
    Eat in t’Klokhuys in Patershol
    Eat in Amadeus
    Go to the fantastic travel bookshop Atlas and Zanzibar on Kortrijksesteenweg and have a walk in the Citadelpark nearby – two of the art galleries is just off the park
    Go out to the nature reserve at Bourgoyen-Ossemeersen
    Go to Het Gravensteen
    Buy chocolates from Chocolaterie De Graslei (the proprietor is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet)
    Take a boat trip
    Go to the Industrial Archaeology Museum
    Have a coffee and a waffle on Graslei and watch the world go by
    Gave a look in the lovely shop which is Dille and Camille
    Take a tram ride

Apart from that there’s hardly anything to do in what has to be one of Belgium’s most beautiful cities…

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

thanks all…..

Marge
    Free Member

When are you going?
    (I live there so can perhaps advise on some things or events going on during your stay)
    Julian’s list is quite a good start though.

Belfort tower is quite cool & not just for the best views of the city…

JulianA
    Free Member

But be careful about Olleke Bolleke – not sure what sort of services they offer! Perhaps Marge can tell us?

I absolutely love Gent and would happily live there.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

there’s a cool little motorcycle museum near the centre.

We found Bruge was a bit crap and very dissapointing. Ghent was the opposite, great place. Go on a canal boat too, I thought it would be rubbish but was actually pretty good.

crikey
    Free Member

…and if you’re there with a roadbike, you really should try the quintessential Flandrian training route down the side of the Schelde to Oudenaarde and back, following in the tyre tracks of just about every Euro pro cyclist ever.

Roads to Ride: The Schelde

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ghent’ is closed to new replies.