Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GF's first mtb day!
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve been building Mrs Shake a hardtail slowly but surely (Giant Arete frame, solo air Tora forks, my last set of wheels, etc) and went to Stanmer Park for some singletrack.

She loved it, later we had pizza and beer! 😀

BTW Mrs Shake likes knitting, crochet, interior design, cooking so any outdoor sport is a big jump.

Anyone else have a gf/bf they ride with? (on bikes…IGMC)

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Did the same for my GF, built her a pink 456 with white RS Reba and other white bits.

1st time out was at Grizedal, a bit punchy for her really and didn’t like it after the fisrt off she had – smassed into a rock! she got into after that.

2nd time was at Afan in the snow last November, again, a bit punchy but I hadn’t been and my bro said she would be fine, she was but got tired quickly.

The big lesson I have learnt is to take some cake out with you when riding! it will cheer her up when she’s tires, she’ll feel like she’s earnt a treat and it will also pick up her sugar levels to get her back to the car park.

AFter that I’ve been taking her to Swinley forest for short 1h30 balsts so its fun without being a full day out. She’s enjoying now and absolutley loved the follow the dog trail and Cannock Chase last week!

Drip feed her into it. No big days out…just yet

Harry_the_Spider

Me and my missus like to “go at it” for a couple of hours every Saturday morning.

She’s got back into at after 5 years off due to babies and a badly broken leg.

Bike is a 2002 Spesh Hardrock Pro and it is perfect for her.

karen805
    Free Member

I ride with my b/f most of the time I’m on the bike, I do finish work earlier than him so may occasionally head out for an evening ride without him. All weekend rides/riding holidays are with him, I really like it, it’s something we can do as a couple and with friends.

Karen

D0NK

now there’s a thought TGS, my mrs won’t have owt to do with bikes, but a bright pink inbred frame might be just the ticket. Off to the classifieds…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, bought the mrs a Cube Attention last year, followed by decent flat pedals, and a pair of Five10s..

We are slowing progressing from the Blues to the reds on Trail Centres.. Along with the more gentle stuff up in the Lakes.

Its all good.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Donk, it worked, she enjoys it now. Doesn’t love it yet but likes the twisty singletrack, not very confident on the steeper stuff though but we’re working on that.

Oh, forgot to say that I bought her some shin guards as the pedals have a tendency to ‘bite’ her shins if her feet slip, its rare though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if it wasnt for mrsconsequence i would never have started riding, she gets angry when i ride without her and if i’m not feeling up to it she’ll still head out and ride without me.

best thing about a ridinglady is they demand you keep the bikes nice and safe and warm inside the house 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

My missus is a climber and we do have a go at each other’s respective sports. I’m rubbish though.

As for Mrs PJM1974, she had an awful Apollo that her ex bought her when we got together that was quickly discarded for a Spesh Hardrock which in turn was upgraded to a Merlin Malt. She now rides a Marin Rock Springs.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

WIsh thta was the case for me Phil. They have their very own dog house in the back garden, I like to think that the 3 of them huddle for warmth in the cold winter months. may just have to build another one to keep them all warm

ahsat

When we are both together and work doesnt mean we pass like ships in the night we ride together. When we are working different times we ride alone or with mates. Lastnight he commuted to work, and I commuted home (apparently we live in the same house!) and this morning he commuted home and I commuted to work (total of 62 miles between us!). We found a house that fits the 8 bikes. Riding is what we do!

However, he is A LOT better than me. And he (p20) puts up with some girly strops. But I think even he thinks its great. We follow it with beer and pizza and then start all over again the next day :o)

Trekster

MrsT who became a Granny for the 4th time at the weekend gets out occasionaly on her Spesh Myka ht. She managed a fair bit of the Dalby blue recently when we were on holiday Considering her health problems over the last few years when she could barely walk a mile never mind bike 6 she is doing good 😆

colournoise

As an MTB novice, Zoe actually got me back into biking after a few years lost to laziness and archery – she wanted to lose some weight and do some exercise so bought a Spesh Hardrock and agreed to let me splash some dosh to update my old 2000 Trailstar (an update that soon turned into a complete new build on a Mr Hyde frame).

When we ride together it’s mostly bimbling round locally or Blue runs at trail centres (she still doesn’t have much confidence on techy or steep stuff), but she will do the local XC Red at Scartree and the mild Reds at Thetford and Sherwood. She has done The Gap 35km route too though so hopefully I’ll take her to try FTD at Cannock next week as an intro to ‘proper’ Red riding (never been there myself so might be a bit of the blind leading the blind though).

Despite moaning about the bits that go uphill, she does always end up grinning by the end of a ride and I guess the fact that 2 years on the only original bits of her Hardrock left are the frame, derailleurs, stem and bars suggests she quite enjoys it all.

slainte 😀 rob

emsz
    Free Member

gf and I ride most weekends, she’s a roadie mostly though so not great technically, I think she’s beginning to get the bug though, we’re planning a camping trip to Wales in a couple of weeks, and we’ve only space for 2 bikes, so she suggested the MTBS!!

P20

I met Tasha (ahsat on here)through mountain biking. Biking together is very enjoyable

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I met Mr MC at a 24 SiTS in 2002 when it was in September at Trentham Gardens. I had been MTBing for the 10 year prior to meeting Mr MC. We pretty much ride together all the time (except with us doing shifts we sometimes go without each other). In nearly 9 years of being together we are about to have our first non biking holiday (bar snowboarding every winter). I have no issues with Mr MC spending what the heck he wants on bike bits .. I tend to as well or maybe more so on “outdoor” clothes and bags! I couldn’t imagine having a non cycling boyfriend to be honest…it takes up too much of my life, means too much to me and makes me too happy!!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GF's first mtb day!’ is closed to new replies.