Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Getting waste vegetable oil from Chip shops
  • Hi

As you can guess I am trying to get hold of some for turning into bio-diesel for my land rover. The only problem is they look at me like Iam from a different planet, and flatly refuse.
    One guy said that he can’t do that, so I asked why as surely its taking it off of you hands. He wouldn’t reply…….

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

p.s. im not exactly a big and scary bloke so i dont think i was being intimidating!

bassspine
    Free Member

Several of them round here have their ‘waste’ oil collected by a van which (from brief reading the van’s sign writing as I pass) takes the oil to be EDIT properly disposed of as required by law.

jimmy

correct. you could set yourself up as a waste oil disposal company and claim the cost back as travelling expenses….?

midlifecrashes

How much per litre did you offer?

I was doing some plumbing work recently and had a copper tank, a load of brass fittings and some copper and lead pipe waste in the front garden. A couple of lads in a transit stopped and kindly offered to take it off my hands, but strangely I declined too. Odd that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How much per litre did you offer?

Chip shops can get up to £0.60p a litre for used cooking oil apparently :

http://biodiesel-energy.co.uk/used_cooking_oil.htm

Lionheart
    Free Member

None of our local ones have waste oil, all apparently pretty much used up just some residue bits left over.

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep ,they need waste certificate to prove it’s been disposed of correctly.

Also you would need some filtering equipment as well.

ridingscared
    Free Member

C&D Oil do the collections of ‘spent’ cooking oils and such like in South Wales-drop them a line.

Xylene
    Free Member

if you can afford 1000 litres inone go you can buy rapeseed oil from wales at 80p per litre, but has to come in 1000l bowsers

molgrips
    Free Member

properly disposed of as required by law

It’s not in any way illegal to get it from chippies. You (as the collector) just need a certificate (easy to get apparently) and another if you want to store it (or your brewed biodiesel) if you want to store over a certain amount iirc.

It used to be very easy but a combination of high diesel prices and govt encouragement of bio use in normal diesel created a market for used oil. So isntead of paying for it to be taken away chippies now effectively have a deposit on it like gas bottles. When prices dropped a while back suddenly lots of oil became available, apparently.

Lots of info and useful tips on collecting oil on http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

jenbe
    Free Member

i have 2 litres you can have for free!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

judging by the rank “old hot dog” smell that comes from the biofuel manufacturing plant next to my work….business is good!

saleem
    Free Member

I get paid £3 per 20 litres of dirty oil, it’s jut taken straight off the invoice price of the new stuff, you’ll find that’ll be the case with your chippy too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

On the Hilux forum a guy talks about some filtering system in his Toyota (aftermarket) that allows him to pour oil without filtering, straight from McD. Some 1400 quid the cost to install, a filter twice a year, free oil.
    BTW If you buy oil, will you not have to pay VAT?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah that’s the other option – pay the chippie more than the oil collectors are paying…

HC – a filter twice a year seems dodgy on that guy’s setup. And how does it de-water the oil? HUGE number of variables in used oil, I’d not want to do it unless I could examine and test what was going into the car.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can get wasted on vegetable oil?

sharkbait
    Free Member

A mate used to make his own biofuel – he even made a computer controlled production system to make it more reliably.
    Not doing it now as he ended up having to pay too much for the waste oil – plus he can’t put it in his current cars.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

You are Homer Simpson and I claim my five pounds. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Singletrackmind on here may have a few spare litres in his garage 🙂

Used to get it cheap from Ebay IIRC.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bear in mind there’s veg oil and biodiesel – different things, different requirements for your car.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A mate of mine works for customs and he said that if you use of a certain quantity your have to pay duty on it and be registered etc etc. He said its not worth while the hassle.

molgrips
    Free Member

The quantity used to be a lot, enough to drive 10-15k miles/year on. So it was worth it.

However that may have changed recently.

Wiksey
    Free Member

There’s a lot of myths and legends surrounding use of veg oil of bio in you vehicle, but if you wade through the nonsence there’s a load of good info on the net.
    Each person can legally produce and use 2500 litres of bio per year – this is for personal use only and records must be kept as you cbe inspected.
    The OP mentioned having a Land Rover so long as it’s an older style diesel this will definately be fine on either bio or oil but both are affected by the cold so need to be mixed with diesel at this time of year.
    A lot of chip shops use a type of oil that sets solid and will make a right mess of your car if you don’t have a suitable heating system.
    Depending where you are in the country you can get good waste veg oil for free but expect to pay at least 40p per litre.
    Depending on how old and used the oil is makes a difference as to how much processing you need to do it it before pouring into your fuel tank.
    Personally, until I can get a good regular source of waste oil I’m sticking with pouring a few litres of new oil in each tank of fuel. Added bonus is that on a 200TDi Defender this improves power and quietens the engine and I’m followed by a smell of doughnuts 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot of chip shops use a type of oil that sets solid and will make a right mess of your car if you don’t have a suitable heating system.

Yes however this can be converted into bio which won’t set solid at normal temps. However it will set at a higher temperature than bio made from say rape seed oil.

bedmaker

Felt a bit sick the other day after following an old Deafener for about 5 mins burning oil.
    Used to do it myself a lot when Lidl sold veg oil for 49p/l.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to do it in my Passat. I don’t mind the smell at all – fresh oil smells like cold greasy chips. Probably not great if you have a hangover mind.

Hairychested
    Free Member

molgrips, why don’t you join the Hilux forum and tell those guys they don’t know what they’re doing? I met a few of them in Germany as I was coming back from Poland, they cover 40-50k a year and I struggled to stay with them on the motorway. It’s a completely different set-up, solid filters etc, and it works really well. Google the subject, you might actually learn something. If I were in the UK I’d’ve done it with my Pug by now, not worth the hassle here in Eire.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve got a bucket full of oil that i just took out of my engine, you’re more than welcome to it!

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips, why don’t you join the Hilux forum and tell those guys they don’t know what they’re doing?

Why would I? I’ve no idea if they know what they are doing or not. I dunno where they are getting their oil from for a start.

All I said was it SEEMED dodgy to me (on first reading of a second hand report) and that if I were putting veg in my car I’d want to be able to test it first to make sure it was in a fit state.

I struggled to stay with them on the motorway

Oh that must be fine then, if the went fast!

Google the subject

Lol! It’s not like I’ve spent many many hours doing exactly that.. oh wait.. I’d appreciate a link to the in-car filtering though as I’ve not seen that before.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Getting waste vegetable oil from Chip shops’ is closed to new replies.