Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Getting tyres on a Crest rim
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve just invested in a new Crest rim for the rear. As I’m riding an old frame I have to get quite narrow tyres as the clearance is minimal. The problem is that the Kenda Nevegal 1.9 I have is almost impossible to fit without pinching the tube.
    Am I missing something, is there a special method to it?

Cheers

bol

Make sure the bead goes right into the well of the rim at the top and sides while you pull it on at the bottom.

IA

without pinching the tube

Don’t use a tube.

Gunz
    Free Member

Make sure the bead goes right into the well of the rim at the top and sides while you pull it on at the bottom.

Bol, do you mean I should push the tyre into the centre of the rim whilst getting it on?

cyclebiker

Sorry to answer the question for you Bol, but yes push the tyre into the centre of the rim.

I did not want to go tubeless just yet and also had problems fitting the tyre on the 29er crest rim, use neet washing up liquid on the bead of the tyre and push the inner tube up into the tyre out of the way…Althought you should not need to use tools (if it were tubeless) I did find that I had to use a plastic tyre lever to get the last bit on.

null

weeksy

use neet washing up liquid on the bead of the

Out on the trails ?

Gunz
    Free Member

Many thanks Cyclebiker (good link), I’ll get working tonight.

plyphon
    Free Member

I think you have to wait for the planets to align or something.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

In the centre of your Crest rim is the ‘drop channel’ – you need to get the bead right into the middle of this to give you enough slack to get the final part of the bead over the rim.

And start opposite the valve… you won’t be able to get the bead into the drop-channel where the valve sits, so this should be the very last section you fit.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

But run them tubeless… it’s actually easier than running them with tubes, though you need to know how if you have a flat that won’t seal!

IA

But run them tubeless… it’s actually easier than running them with tubes, though you need to know how if you have a flat that won’t seal!

Though tubeless you’ll have yellow tape in rather than a rim strip – a little thinner and a little easier to get the tyre on.

dc11
    Free Member

When trying to get the last bit on, I found tying the tyre tight to the rim at a couple of points helped.

Gunz
    Free Member

IT’S ON, IT’S ON.

Thanks you all for the ‘push the tyre into the centre’ tip, wasn’t that hard after all and I’m now no longer terrified of punctures.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Getting tyres on a Crest rim’ is closed to new replies.