Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • getting to that ther LONDON
  • totalshell

Fancy going to see this boat thingy in that ther london on sunday.. with her indoors and the rugrats where would i park to get a tube in and avoid that consumption charge me bob? any other suggestions..
    obviously directions from oop north thats north of the M62

zimbo
    Free Member

In the good old days when Wembley was known as Anfield South and we were there every year, we used to park at Harrow and a get a train into town. Dead handy off the M1.

pingu66
    Free Member

I always park at Stanmore tube. park and Ride its about £4 for the day at the weekend and your on the Jubilee line.

Its just at the bottom of the M1 so if your North its perfect.

restless
    Free Member

We are staying at a Premier Inn ,Watford Croxley Green and then getting the tube into London for the day to watche the boats.

Have stayed at Wembley one before too and that is right next door to the tube station.
    Think this one is a bit of a walk.
    But saves driving into London anyway.

djglover
    Free Member

OP, where are you planning on watching it? Was mulling taking our two,3, down, but not sure a) that we’d see much b) that they’d have the patience for it… But I do only live a few miles away from the start

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d suggest the embankment near/opposite Battersea Power Station. Nice and wide, and away from most public transport, which may make it quieter.

Not far to walk to a rather nice boozer as well….. 😉

cpsilver

If heading from the north, park at luton airport, get the train from there into London. I think you can get a train which heads to brighton and you can get off at blackfriars or london bridge next to the river.

Enjoy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

cpsilver, good call, but check re bridge closures. The moat will finally be doing it’s job properly for much of the weekend. 🙂

restless
    Free Member

We are staying at a Premier Inn ,Watford Croxley Green

Does anyone know which tube station we could walk to from here , i have looked at the tube map but its all a bit confusing. 😕

Andy_B

You could go via Croxley tube station on the metropolitan line but I reckon the better option would be taking the bus to Watford Junction and catching the train

restless
    Free Member

Thanks, do u know if the tube is in walking distance though, didnt really want to catch a bus too.

Andy_B

It’s about a mile to Croxley or about 2 to Watford junction. Trains into town can be done in 15 minutes if you pick the right one but the tube will be more like 45 minutes at least from there

restless
    Free Member

oh thank you, train will be best then if its quickest.
    Didnt realise it was so far out 😳
    I guess thats because we don’t visit London very often.

Just want the easiest route as it will just be me and 3 boys, one in a pushchair.

Andy_B

The premier inn overlooks a massive roundabout. There should be buses going to either station from just beside it but I’d be more inclined to jump in a cab for the sake of £5 and save my energy for London walking

mikewsmith
    Free Member

er Manchester, Family rail card beer on the train

molgrips
    Free Member

Tubes are notoriously difficult with a pushchair. Busses are much better, but harder to use.

restless
    Free Member

Tubes are notoriously difficult with a pushchair. Busses are much better, but harder to use.

I found that out last time, especially at stations with no lift!

I thought tubes/trains would be quickest so dont really want to catch a bus. Plus my youngest loves trains.
    If its going to be a long journey into London itself then the quickest way is the best. Only there for the one day.

Cougar

Re: tubes,

If you’re smartphoned up, get hold of the Tube Map app by mxdata (I think there’s Android and iPhone versions). It’s absolutely tremendous.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not got a sling or baby carrier of some kind?

restless
    Free Member

nah he’s too big , toddler sized .
    Will need the pushchair though as it will be a long day, lots of people and he still has an afternoon sleep.

takisawa2

I’ve been trying to get the Wife to agree to going also.

We usually park at Ikea, just off the North Circular & a few mins from the end of the M1. Has a huge multi storey that’s free & rarely gets full. Then out through Tesco, over the (ramped) footbridge to Neasden tube station. Done it plenty of times when our two were of buggy age. Need to check Ikea hours though. I even called & they said plenty of people park there & its fine as long as you pop in for a hot dog. 🙂

Other option we have done is parking at Seer Green just off the M40 & getting the train into Marylebone, but the train is quite pricey if you just turn up. (£10 return IIRC). Once your in London kids travel free (or they used to).

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Another alternative for you.I commute everyday into London from Luton Airport Parkway.

Very easy access from J10 of the M1,loads of parking,and 30 mins to Kings Cross St Pancras,or 40-45 mins to Blackfriars which will put you a very short walk from all the Diamaond Jubilee river festival action.
    No problem with lifts and buggies.

xcgb
    Free Member

avoid that consumption charge me bob?

As no one else has pointed it out there aint no consumption charge on sundays!

Pook

mornington crescent

will
    Free Member

What Pingu said. No point driving in London. That way you’re on the Jubilee Line, and can get all the way to Westminster on one tube, so no faffing of changing lines etc…

Andy_B

Another option, go to Elstree & Borehamwood (5 minutes from the A1), parking was £1 on Sunday last time I went there and it’s zone 6 so Oyster compatible. Take the first Capital connect service into London in about 30 minutes. If you haven’t been and don’t have a bunch of kids get off at St Pancras and walk through to see the Olympic Rings.

aP
    Free Member

I am intending to pop out at about 7.30am on Sunday morning and walk down to the ait and watch the no doubt smooth arrangements for 10 minutes before getting in my car and driving 320 miles north.
    Have fun in the smoke.

Grimy
    Free Member

The train from Manchester picadilly to Euston only takes 2 hours and is a far more pleasant way to travel down than by car. It will probably cost less for a sunday than the fuel for the 4/5 hour journey too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘getting to that ther LONDON’ is closed to new replies.