Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Getting to Les Arcs?
  • Rustychain
    Free Member

Hi

A few of us are heading to Les Arcs to ride with Trail Addiction this summer.

The plan is to go in one of the group’s company car. The only catch that’s come up is car insurance. His company/lease company won’t insure other drivers fully comp. I could drive the car third party on my insurance, but I’m not keen in case I end up crashing the thing!

Any ideas/suggestions on a solution?

Cheers

Sean

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fly or eurostar

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hire a mini bus ?

legend
    Free Member

I could drive the car third party on my insurance

are you sure your 3rd party cover applies aboard.

Fly to Geneva is the main alternative option

alaric

It’s not that long a drive that you’d have to share the driving. I drove all the way there when I went 18 months ago.

Only caveat, I guess, is that I live in Kent, so an early train didn’t mean too early a start.

I think we got a train at around 6-7 am, and arrived at about 6pm after a fairly leisurely journey.

wallop

Go in someone else’s car.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been to the alps as an only driver quite a few times now. Tend to go overnight as the roads are quieter. Keep eating and drinking regularly, and it’s not too bad at all (bar the year we got caught in a horrendous thunderstorm somewhere round Dijon). Good co-pilot helps loads.

Rustychain
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

Good advice about checking my car insurance and whether I’m covered in Europe.

I could take the family car, but not confident it would make it (1999 Ford Galaxy)!

Need to see if we can convince the owner to drive all the way… 🙂

legend
    Free Member

the way there will be fine, but he’ll absolutely hate you on the way home 😉

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I drove from Chester to Chamonix this summer, with wife, 3 kids and my folks (4 bikes on the back). Tell him to man up…..

But to be a bit more realistic we did have a stop over half way which made it ok but I would suggest wasting 4 days traveling is not an option. Did the same drive the year before with my mates, straight trough 20 hours, 2 of us doing the driving, tough drive and the 2 of us where knackered the next day.

So either have a stop over, find a way to share it or plane.

Lastly, very jealous…..

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

If it’s leased you just need to ring the lease company and ask for a VE103 form. Costs a tenner and you can add additional drivers. It’s all I’ve done for the past few years.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Rusty chain- what week you going!?

woody2000

Can’t you just get some short term insurance of your own for the car? He’ll need the lease companies permission to take it out of the country too, I don’t know if thats what wilsoncat is referring to above.

footflaps

I’ve driven to the Alps and back on my own, not that big a deal if you take it easy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’d be most surprised if the leasing company would allow the car to be driven third party only. If it was and there was a crash your friedns would probably be liable for damage and fired !

The drive is do-able with a single driver and as posted by others I’ve done the drive alone a few times. Long distance lorry drivers travel alone. 3-4 hrs max then take a break. As above it depends how long a drive it is to the tunnel in the uk. Lastly a 1999 Galaxy should handle the drive if the car is in decent condition mechanically and serviced,

luffy105
    Free Member

Don’t know about the insurance but used to drive from Macclesfield to that area every three weeks every December – april. Probably done it 40 times in total and it’s not a hard drive. I found it easiest to drive through the night as there was no traffic and you could boot it on the French side. Only ever got caught speeding between Lyon and albertville. Best I ever had was getting off the ferry at 18:00 and just making last orders at the Pacific in val d’Isere.

Silliness aside, the best bet is ferry rather than tunnel as you get a decent break and the chance for a kip before the long run on the other side.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I drove from Chester to Chamonix this summer, with wife, 3 kids and my folks (4 bikes on the back). Tell him to man up…..

Stupid advice, it will take longer, need more breaks and maybe an overnight depending on how he feels – driving tired is stupid and dangerous not a source of extra man points.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cars dont magically stop working in france…..

No reason a well serviced car wont make it to les arc and bac.

Stick the galaxy into garage. Fluids filters . Good check over – pay attention to tire damage and cooling system. But realy if you trust it to take your wife and kids o the shop it should go to france!

We drove the van down this year our only issue was i warped the disks coming off alpe dhuez because the clown infront wanted to drag his brake all the way down and my 1st gear wouldnt keep ot slow enough to be behind him.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like your car’s much more suitable anyway OP.

Unles your mate’s company car is a van.

Nick

It’s not that long a drive

It f’in well is!

Expecting one person to do all the driving is taking the total piss, how long are you going for? A week? He’ll be knackered for the first two days and wont be able to drink/stay up with everyone on the last night. Plus he will have to do any of the driving to other places (Tignes is nice, but 40 mins). It takes 20 mins to get into Bourg from 1800 etc.

You could ask your insurance company if they will cover you fully comp to drive the car.

Mugboo

Worth bearing in mind, if you take your own car, that your fully comp insurance might become third party in Europe. And get everbody to chip in for the kind of breakdown policy that gets you home if the worst happens.

Driving in France (apart from negotiating your way round Paris) is a pleasure but distance is distance…

Rustychain
    Free Member

We’re going 12-19 July.

The Galaxy would be a great option in many ways – take some of the back seats out and it’s virtually a van. I’ve done 30,000 in it and it’s not broken down yet, so no reason to suspect it should give up the ghost on this particular journey!

The attraction of the company car is only having to pay for fuel (also very efficient compared to mine), should be reliable (Golf) and no wear and tear costs (Galaxy tyres are £100+ a corner!).

I did wonder about buying some extra insurance – will look into that. And I’ll also check out the VE103 form.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how many in the golf ? more than 2 up and itll be a horror fest. been there done that.

FWIW we drove down from aberdeen (newcastle amsterdam ferry) and we took 3 days to get to gap driving leisurely – i did all the driving.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s not that long a drive that you’d have to share the driving. I drove all the way there when I went 18 months ago.

Much better to share it if you can though, especially if going overnight. I saw more than one car weaving all over the autoroute on my way to Alpe d’Huez last summer.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

if you crash and your mate gets out the passenger side, they will assume hes the driver, no?

Nick

only if he’s not dead 🙄

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

if he is dead, he wont have to worry about not being insured…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Driving in France (apart from negotiating your way round Paris) is a pleasure but distance is distance…

It’s easy Paris is not on the way to the alps.

The dull 3hrs in the middle is enough to push most over the edge

Speeder

A few of us

(Golf)

How many is a few of us and where are you planning to put the bikes/kit?

It’ll almost certainly be a much more pleasant experience in the Galaxy as you’ll have a bit of room and be able to keep all the kit in the vehicle rather than have it on a rack and be scared all the way down.

As for wear and tear, it’s only 2500 miles or so and at bangernomics rates that’s no more than £600 worth of fuel and wear.

I’ve done 4 up to Bourg in an A3 and with kit but bikes in a van it was still not comfortable.

Nick

We did it four up in a Mondeo Estate with a roof box and bikes hanging off the back.

We did go to Chablis on the way down and stayed in Reims on the way back, but we were in the car for about 7 hours on the way to Reims and it sucked big time.

I wouldn’t do it in a smaller vehicle with four people, no way.

I can’t even see how you would get that many people plus bikes in/on an A3/Golf.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s easy Paris is not on the way to the alps.

That very much depends on where your ferry goes to.

woody2000

We did it in a golf estate in 2012, no problem. 4 people + bikes + kit for a weeks riding. Everything went in the boot & bikes on the roof, plenty of room – what are you lot taking with you? 😉

thekingisdead
    Free Member

We’re going 12-19 July.

Same week as me then 🙂 Also driving.

trail_rat
    Free Member

woody – its not about what im taking with me at that point – 4 up in a golf all adults of average size – height and build.

id rather take the london tube all the way.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

We will be going with only one driver (me) setting off from West Yorkshire.

Decided to finish work Friday an hour or two early, drive to near Dover, night in a Travelodge, early ferry Saturday over to Calais then 8-9 hours drive to destination at a steady pace.

Should ensure I’m not too tired for first day and ensures we do not waste 2 holiday days getting there.

Legoman
    Free Member

We’ve done Hertfordshire to Bourg a couple of times.
    Did it all in one go on the return leg once – it’s doable but it’s a slog and as said above, the driver will be knackered and need recovery time.

I’m sure your mate will be aware, but don’t forget the VE103 – it proves you have the vehicle owner’s (lease company) permission to take the car overseas. If you’re stopped without it, the French police can impound the car (never heard of this happening, but it could in theory). It’s nothing to do with insurance though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Nick Chablis and Reims make good stopovers. I’ve driven myself to/from the Alps for a 4 day ski trip. I live 2hrs from tunnel and 6-8 other side depending on where I’m going. 4 of us did Marseilles (9-12 hours from tunnel as we got bad traffic on way down, was easier back in 2007 as vitally no speed cameras on Peage whereas now there are dozens), 2 hrs driving each, easy. All of this is A6 diesel estate, fabulous car for eating motorway miles. My view of driving distances changed when I lived in the US, I used to drive 6-7 hrs for a 3 day weekend’s skiing in Vermont. 3hrs each way for a days skiing in upstate NY.

@dangerous, that’s a good plan. Just make sure it’s your “navigators” job to answer your every whim and keep you interested and motivated with their “witty repartee”. To be honest I suspect the drive down the UK will be the hardest part.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

jambalaya – I also suspect the worst part will be the M1/M25 for 5 hours or more.

cheers_drive

3 people in a Golf / A3 if you have accommodation. 2 if you’re camping. Bike on roof both time.
    I wouldn’t want to be a sole driver though. What happens if you have an accident and can’t drive back?
    If there is 4 of you have you investigated hiring a large people carrier / crew cab van?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

What happens if you have an accident and can’t drive back?

It’s covered in my Green Flag breakdown cover.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Getting to Les Arcs?’ is closed to new replies.