Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Getting to LA from Yorkshire – what is the best/least inconvenient way?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Going to see my brother in law (who lives in LA) in December so looking to buy flights now so we can get the best/cheapest available.

We are flying with two young children (3.5 yrs old) as well another family members and their children (7, 5 & 3) so are very conscious of choosing the route that should give us the least stress.

So we are stuck trying to decide what is the best option – Leeds/Bradford to Schipol then a direct flight to LA; drive all the way to Heathrow then get a direct flight to LA or fly from Leeds/Bradford or Manchester and have to change in somewhere like Vegas.

Has anyone done it? Is Immigration as bad as it is sometimes portrayed in LA?

Any other suggestions?

Any drugs (legal or ilegal, I don’t care 😉 I can use to sedate the children?

Am I actually mad in trying to attempt this?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Train in to London, hop across to Heathrow Express at Paddington, then direct from LHR would be my tip.

Is Immigration as bad as it is sometimes portrayed in LA?

US Immigration Officers are a bunch of humourless so and sos….But, then again, they’re only doing their job.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

US Immigration Officers are a bunch of humourless so and sos….But, then again, they’re only doing their job.

I have just heard (from several sources) that it can sometimes take 4+ hours to clear immigration in LAX and after a 10hr plane flight, another 4 hours with two young children cooped up in an airport isn’t something I fancy.

MartynS

not done LAX but i was in the states last month working.
    We flew into Philadelphia, it took about 30 minutes to get through security/immigration and get my carnet stamped up by customs. I thought we might be there days….!

might be worth looking at flying to a less popular airport and getting an internal flight from there.

Manchester-philly direct btw

willard

Had to do a transfer at LA for Hawaii a few years ago… Immigration bloke no. 1 was a humourless sod and sent me to the back of the [long] queue for a typo and correction. The second chap was a lot better and actually wished me a pleasant stay. Then I got to Customs…

Apparently there was a problem with one of our passports. My ex-wife was Swiss, I had a clean UK passport, but there was a problem. We had two hours to get to the connecting flight, but had to leave the airport and check back in again to get to the connecting flight. Customs made sure that every minute of that time was taken up with going through our bags in minute detail. When I mentioned that we had to be getting on a flight very soon, it was ‘hand on gun, “Just calm down sir”‘ time. It’s ok mate, just my honeymoon you were mucking about with…

I hate LA.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I hate LA.

Is the underlying message I get from everyone I have spoken to (including my brother in law who now even holds a USA passport).

Basically my problems are two-fold – I want the least stressful flight option but I also want the easiest Immigration passage which is why

might be worth looking at flying to a less popular airport and getting an internal flight from there.

is an option I am considering – I had heard that Vegas has a much simpler Immigration clearance.

yunki
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

4 hours? Not in my experience.

OK, so it’s never exactly “fun”, but usually clear US immigration within half an hour or so. Russia was way, way worse!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Quite a few work people have done small airport flights to the US, personally I’d always go down to Heathrow and leave from there rather than have to change flights, or have to use a small airline for a long haul flight – work colleagues used a Canadian budget airline to go to Vancouver from Manchester last year, and it sounded like a nightmare, 8 or so hours on the equivalent of Easyjet, without proper food, paying for drinks, cramped seats etc. Whatever you do, for the long haul bit of the flight, make sure it is on a big airline you’ve heard of.

Basically you have a choice of:
    a)Hassle in the UK getting to Heathrow, then a single long flight.
    b)Changing in Europe, meaning hassle in a foreign airport, plus two possible flight delays.
    c)Changing in the US, again meaning hassle in a foreign airport when you are extremely jet lagged from a long flight, plus two possible flight delays.

Changing planes adds so much time that it is almost certainly worth getting train down / driving down to Heathrow time-wise. It also saves you from the depressing hell that is US airport departure lounges (I’m assuming you’re not some fancy pants first class / frequent flier card type).

If you did do train down (with that selection of kids I’m guessing it wouldn’t be easy!), you could do taxi from Kings Cross to Paddington and Heathrow Express. Or if you can brave the tube, Picadilly Line goes straight to Heathrow, is slightly slower, but cheaper and easier if you’re going from Kings Cross.

I have an advantage in that I have a few relatives who live right near Heathrow – my preferred option is usually to stay over at someone’s house the night before and then get a bus or taxi to Heathrow. I think splitting the journey that way makes the flight easier. I guess there are airport hotels if you don’t have any friends down that way (possibly there might be good hotel & parking deals available if you look around).

Immigration at LA is a pain, in that you have to queue and be fingerprinted, but to be honest it is not that different from UK immigration – with a kid, the hard thing is the queueing, and you get that anywhere nowadays. They’ll ask you stupid questions, but as long as you don’t joke around with them, I’ve never had any hassle. Oh and make sure you fill in the landing card forms on the plane obviously.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooh the temptation you have to fight when some immigrations prick is giving you a hard time. 😡

You want to say something like “What? You think I want to come and live illegally in your shithole of a country like all those Mexicans that are having great lives here?” but instead, you have to be all yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

EDIT: Beware of spurious information from those who want to tell you all about their supposedly jet-set lifestyle.

IMO, transfers are a PITA and stressful, especially with kids. I’d rather risk the wait in LA than missing a connecting flight in Vegas/Chicago etc because there’s a minor problem with the form you’ve filled out. At least if that happens in LA, you’re already there.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think you can fly direct to LA from Manchester – it’s been a long time since I’ve done it, but I have flown with American Airlines twice direct MAN to LAX.

It is a long flight though and you may find breaking the journey up, say via NY, is a bit easier, although it will add three hours to your journey. I definitely wouldn’t go via Schipol unless it was super cheap and you were really cost conscious.

I also wouldn’t ever disuade you from long haul flights with kids (I’ve got a two year old also), but an 11 hour flight with 3.5 year old is going to be tough. The US airlines will be quite a bit cheaper, even flying direct, but they will also be quite a bit more basic. British Airways may be more expensive, but it might be worth the extra cost from the service and quality of plane perspective. For example, last time I flew a US airline, the video console didn’t work the whole way there and they had run out of my preferred meal. It wasn’t fun!

BTW the weather in LA in December will be lovely and you should definitely plan on going for a swim. I was in San Diego in January last year and it was shorts and t-shirt hot (although it was unsually warm even for S. California). Still, even at average temperatures it’s warm enough to go in the sea. Oh and if you can take your bike then you really should. There is some amazing riding around there. I can hook you up with the guy that took me on a fabulous bike ride when I was there in Jan.

EDIT – Immigration in all the US airports I’ve been to (about a dozen or so) is the same. They are as everyone says desperately humourless but ultimately you’re only talking to them for about five minutes.

vinnyeh

If you’ve young children with you, and there’s somebody decent controlling the queues they’ll often prioritise you through immigration, or push you through in the US passport queue. Especially if you look harassed, smile wearily at the officers, and the kids are noisy/crying (a quick stomp on somebody’s foot can do the trick). 😆

We visit quite regularly, and we normally got shunted through when the kids were younger.

imnotamused
    Free Member

I second Russia. Sherementaya airport in summer, however you spell it, 4hrs in a rugby scrum to get through customs and don’t get me started on the time my bag went missing…!

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you fly via Dublin you can clear US immigration there, a much easier experience.

iDave
    Free Member

I’d do the Leeds-Schiphol-LA route

Phenergan for the kids, or adults.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Is December not going to be way out of season, so pretty quiet anyway? I know I’ve been in January and it was very very quick to get out (even last time I went which was June it was alright – only me, but I was out of the airport in under an hour).

I guess late December would mean Christmas which might make it busier.

Oh, and whilst I would book the flights now, because you’ve got kids and you’ll want to know exactly what’s going on / what the cost is, you might be able to get a better deal leaving it a little later, as flights often get cheaper closer to the date (and then get more expensive again, getting it right is the hard thing).

mogrim

I’d drive to Heathrow, long stay carpark, and night flight to LA. Get an iPad or equivalent (with a headphone splitter and two sets of headphones* for sharing) – I’m sure someone on here will be along shortly to point out that video-drugging your kids is not educational, but (speaking from experience) an hour of Disney is a winner when you’re stuck in a plane with a whiny kid 🙂

* Make sure they’re over the ear/head type headphones, not in-ear.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think any form of drugging for kids whether it be video/games/pharmaceutical is acceptable on an airplane, for the sanity of everybody on board, not just the parents. 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

LAX, in my experience, is hell (as is the city). I’d rather arrive anywhere else (SF, Vegas?) and make an adventure of it by taking a train or renting a car. Next time I visit the US (or my parents) I’m tempted by the Chicago-SF California Zephyr Amtrak across Rockies etc. 50 hours so probably not advisable with kids.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LAX, in my experience, is hell (as is the city).

Yeah – only going because that is where he lives (it is for a surprise 40th birthday party for him).

There is a suggestion that we may fly to Whistler for a week skiing which would be more fun.

I think I need to start saving two years ago….

mogrim

No chance of dumping your kids on someone else for the week? At that age they’re not going to get much out of the experience, and you’d get a whole load more out of it without them…

tonyg2003

Over 10 flights to US last year (including LAX) and the longest wait in security was an hour. It used to be a major pain (flying into Chicago a couple of years ago and getting into security just after a jumbo of chinese national – they gave them hell at the desks – 2.5hr wait).

tails
    Free Member

It took me about half hour non of this 4 hours rubbish that was air france direct to LAX, don’t go air france though it was not nice. I landed fairly late 11pm, bare in mind LA is MASSIVE it can take hours to drive across in rush hour, the public transport system is nothing like that of London, NY or Seoul.

LA has some nice coastal bits and some great bars if you know a local. I headed down to San Diego and Encinitas if you go via the Pacific highway you may get to see all the US airforce flying around in apache helicopters and fancy fighter jets, but do not like myself take a wrong turn into the airbase unless you want machine guns pointed at you!!

San Diego has the worlds biggest zoo and there are national parks within driving distance. I have heard you can snow board in the morning and surf in the afternoon.

There is a chap on here I think called repack or repackrider who is born and bread Cali and also was one of the earliest mountain bikers.

I did not head north of LA but I heard that is great.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No chance of dumping your kids on someone else for the week? At that age they’re not going to get much out of the experience, and you’d get a whole load more out of it without them…

Well it is a family event (it’s a 40th birthday party) and they are family so that wouldn’t be a consideration.

Plus the only people that could look after them (my mother/father in law or brother/sister in law) are going out there anyway.

corroded
    Free Member

If there’s any way you can make more of a road trip of it, rather than an in/out of LAX, I’d recommend it. The West Coast is a fantastic place – redwoods, beaches – even in winter. Skiing’s not a bad idea but there’s plenty of great stuff closer to LA than Whistler (and prob cheaper).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

bare in mind LA is MASSIVE

My brother in law lives relatively close to the airport – about 30 minutes I think.

iDave
    Free Member

Anyone saying drive to Heathrow from Harrogate, then take a 12 hour flight never had young kids or sent them ahead by DHL.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Skiing’s not a bad idea but there’s plenty of great stuff closer to LA than Whistler (and prob cheaper).

Yeah we had considered Mammoth but it is 7,000ft (Whistler is 2,00ft apparently) so the thin air will be a struggle for the 5 children and the two pensioners (who are skiers) that are in the party.

Plus there is no snow there this year!!!! My brother in law has just got back and there was just blown snow :-0

geetee1972
    Free Member

There is a chap on here I think called repack or repackrider who is born and bread Cali and also was one of the earliest mountain bikers.

LOL er, yes, it’s Charlie Kelly!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Skiing – What about Tahoe? Am hoping to be in SF in Feb, and planning to see if I can hook on a weekend’s skiing up there on to the trip.

br
    Free Member

Fly direct to destination from nearest airport, end of.

And holiday starts the night before, so get someone else to drive to the airport (and back).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Skiing – What about Tahoe?

I have no idea – we are listening to our sister in law on the recommendations as they live out there and ski lots. I shall ask her if it could be a consideration.

iDave
    Free Member

For skiiing, Big Bear is only an hours drive from LAX

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah it is another at 7k ft though (we had considered Mammoth) – too high for some of our group. 🙁

Just looked – Tahoe resort is 6,200ft too.

(Whistler is 2,200ft at the resort)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t go with these guys:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂 Love that – the only funny sketch they ever did.

peterfile
    Free Member

I passed through LAX three times in December. First occasion being my first US port of entry coming from outside the US, then the other two being internal flights.

I also passed through SFO, SAN, DFW and LAS in the same month.

They’re airports – busy, slightly stressful and full of people whose job it is to keep the place safe and to stop muppets from holding queues up by trying to pass through body scanner with a WWF wrestling belt on which they somehow forget to remove. It’s never going to be pleasant, but LAX is pretty much the same as everywhere else.

Vancouver is one of my favourite airports, and also happens to be the one that always takes me the longest to pass through. DFW is a **** nightmare if you have a short connection. I’ve spent many a night at the Hyatt Regency thanks to missing connections there.

You can actually have a bit of a laugh with the immigration guys, they’re not KGB, just answer the very simple questions and smile. One told me my nose looked straighter on my passport photo than in real life, I told him that I’d send him the details of the booth I used and it might be able to do something about his hair 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I normally find that travelling in slacks and a blazer, and storming to the front of the queue, before saying in my best terry thomas voice

I say my good man… see here, in my passport, it clearly states that Her Britannic Majesty’s Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty that all those whom it may concern allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance… without let or hindrance, do you hear? now, you rapscallion, make way

Works every time 8)

-m-
    Free Member

Unless cost is an overriding factor then do the flying part in one go without connections if possible. Breaking your journey, rushing between flights, or getting stuck in the wrong place when something’s cancelled or you miss a connection is no fun on your own (if, sometimes, a natural consequence of flying…); doing it with family/children in tow would be a nightmare.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cost is a factor but not the only one – I can’t afford to be spending thousands per person but would rather pay hundreds more for the best/right ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Getting to LA from Yorkshire – what is the best/least inconvenient way?’ is closed to new replies.