Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Getting to Glentress after sleeper train to Edinburgh
  • singletracksurfer

What is the best way to get to Glentress (as the buses don't allow bikes)!

Thanks.

Smee
    Free Member

Ride down.

Or use the rather large network of riders based around here and edinburgh to scrounge a lift.

You could start by saying when you want to go.

singletracksurfer

Ride!! nearly 30 miles isn't it? 😳

Surely there must be an enterprising taxi company or man with a van ferrying the 000's of riders and making their fortune!

Just planning at the moment, then recruiting friends to join me.

Drac

If your going with friends then hire a van to get you there, be cheeaper and easier than a train.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Lift scrounge would be your best bet depending on numbers, otherwise rent a van or minibus.

The girls at The Hub at Glentress have all sorts of vans and trailers. You could always ask if they would do a shuttle run.

grumm
    Free Member

Ride!! nearly 30 miles isn't it?

Just pump your tyres up hard and mtfu – it's not that far is it? 🙂

Northwind

Taxi would be doable, but not cheap- as long as the bike's clean you'll have no problems getting a cabbie to take you, since it's a good fare. Getting back might not be so easy! It's a bloody farce that the buses don't accomodate bikes though.

AlasdairMc

Try http://www.bikebus.net as I seem to recall them doing something like this.

Or hire a car or Transit.

How long are you staying down at Glentress/Innerleithen for? And how many riders?

I'm sure you could arrange lifts and guiding through here if it's a convenient enough date and if you're prepared to get the cakes in at the Hub

singletracksurfer

waste of time & energy (riding on the A roads) when only going for the weekend tho.

any taxi companies with bike racks or recommended van rental places?

singletracksurfer

Thanks Alasdair. Will check out bike bus.

AlasdairMc

How many folk are going down? You might be better taking a bike rack with you and bolting it on around the corner from a car hire place.

The nearest car hire place to Waverley Station, to my knowledge, is on Picardy Place. I can't remember the name but Google will.

crazy-legs

Ride!! nearly 30 miles isn't it?

A student friend of mine used to do that quite regularly – ride there from centre of town, do a lap or two of the Black/Red, then ride home, it was his training. This probably explained why he was quite a lot fitter than most other riders!
    Before we could drive, friends and I used to do that in London – ride from S.London out to Penshurst Off Road Club (30 miles), spend a day on the DH tracks there then ride home.
    People today are just so soft! 😉

I'm sure if you post up on here with more details as to time/where you're staying/how many people etc you could probably get a lift with someone, there's loads of forum folk live in & around Edinburgh.

Northwind

Yeah, a colleague of mine used to do the same. But she was nuts, so…

barca
    Free Member

I've done it twice. The first time I got the train up from Manchester, rode to Glentress and then rode back at the end of my day out for the late train home.
    The second time i did it, I camped in the forest.
    Bollocks to riding to it and riding back again in one day.
    In fact, bollocks to riding to and from Edinburgh again, ever.
    It was a horrible road ride and not much helped by being on a road where I shouldn't have been on one occasion.
    I reckon you should be able to get one of those new black taxis that are almost as big as a mini bus from the station if you hang about long enough and for the money he'll make, I bet you could arrange a lift back as well at the end of your day or weekend.

Smee
    Free Member

Seriously – there are plenty people on here will be willing to hook up and give you a lift. IF you do ride, dont take the main road down, take a look at the map and you'll find a nice ride into the back of glentress from the north and another from the a7 direction.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I could be tempted to take you down. A fish supper is the usual fee. When you coming. Trailfairies work every 2nd Sat morning and a few of them come from Edinburgh, let us know the dates.

latiric
    Free Member

If the bike is in a bag, then the No. 62 bus is the best bet, failing that a fish supper for Steven, a shout on the forum or an expensive taxi

Diane
    Free Member

You could try Andy at Innerhaven. Great place to stay too :-)In Innerleithen.

caledonia
    Free Member

That road is NOT for the feint hearted. It's fast flowing traffic on a fairly twisty road. It wouldn't be me that's for sure ! 😯

inch_high_j
    Free Member

I would also be happy to meet up and take you down, so long as its weekends. either the transporter with as many bikes as you like in the back and 3 in the front or the car with 2 out and 5 in (the others can hire right?). Im in glasgow just pm me. JP

dr_adams
    Free Member

if you do decide to hire.. i would suggest arnold clark… used them a lot when i was student up there and were really helpful, were cheaper than most and would pick me up and drop me off from station. Same they don't come this far down south but would really recommend them…

singletracksurfer

thanks people.

may just post up here when I get something organised then and get the cakes etc in.

cheers.

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Thanks Diane!

If we can help, give us a shout 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Getting to Glentress after sleeper train to Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.