Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • getting to Buttermere, via train and bike……easiest?
  • ton

staying in Buttermere for a weekend, I want to get the train and then cycle.
    option 1. train to Windermere, then ride via Ambleside, Thirlmere, Keswick, Whinlater. 35ish miles.

option 2. train to Penrith, then ride via Greystoke, Mungrisedale, Threlkeld, Keswick, Whinlater. 30ish miles.

option 1 is cheaper on the train.

anyone done either?

d45yth
    Free Member

How much cheaper is the Windermere train? I’d rather do the Penrith route you mention because you’d be following the C2C. It’s a bad road for cyclists coming from Windermere, especially if the weather’s not good.

Pridds

Agree with above, there are some points from Windermere where you can’t avoid the a591 and cycling on it is not fun. From penrith you can follow the c2c route and it’s a much more pleasant experience.

anc
    Free Member

If its Buttermere your going to your better off going over Newlands, Whinlatter takes u to lorton.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Answering the title, get a lift.
    For the options listed 2
    (not done either but driven and ridden enough round there to take a good guess)
    If it’s proper crap give some of the Penrith lot a shout and see if they can give you a lift. You might be able to get the bike on the bus too and then ride from Cockermouth/Keswick.

ton

I know the road from windermere to ambleside is a bit rubbish. but the rest of it is not too bad, round thirlmere.

don’t want a lift, I want to ride it.

jonk

Windermere up to rydal on the 591. When you get to thirlmere take a left on the old road to st johns in the vale then up through keswick to portinscale then over newlands to buttermere.

ton

jonk, that’s the route….cheers. just done it on bikehike, looks ok.

TomB

Train to Whitehaven? Connects from Carlisle or Lancaster/barrow, then follow the c2c to lorton and up the road past crummock water to buttermere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckoned you were serious about riding just there is always the chance it’s torrential rain and blowing a hell of a head wind 🙂

Train to Workington or Whitehaven is a good call but a will take a lot longer and throw in a change in Carlisle (by which time you would be a fair way in from Penrith.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘getting to Buttermere, via train and bike……easiest?’ is closed to new replies.