• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • getting to Bodo Norway with your bike…….anyone?
  • ton

looking for the easiest way to get to Bodo in Norway with our bikes, next summer.
    flights from Leeds or Manchester are available, but look like 3 changes on route.

anyone flown to northern Norway with bikes?

Del

not with bikes, but used to pass through bodo quite frequently. if you can get to norway they have a good rail system. there’s a sleeper that does pretty much the length of the country. never had any issues loosing luggage on flights though, and flying is a well used method of getting about norway, cos it’s such a long country.
    or is it just the expense of carrying the bikes you’re thinking about?

ton

not the expense, more the worry of the bikes not arriving, with it being 3 changes.
    always travelled via ferries or trains when touring, only flown to the alps and pyrenees with the bikes before.

Del

try not to get flights that have too short a connection ( guessing change at schiphol? ) and you should be fine.
    DO NOT go via CDG.
    guess there is probably a ferry and train combination you could use but it would take ages – may just as well build an extra day in to your trip to allow for the bikes being late.
    when i was going out there i always took hold luggage and never had anything go awol.

ton

Del, just found direct flights to Oslo with sas, then a next day flight to Bodo with them too. looks ideal.

oh, and when is the best time of year to go mate….like when the mossies are asleep?

mrlugz
    Free Member

We flew with SAS to norway earlier in the year.

From Manchester to Oslo.

Only grief we had was at the jet park car park. They were proper arsey when we tried to load 5 bikes on the shuttle bus.

100mphplus
    Free Member

We flew M/C to Oslo, then Oslo to Bodo with SAS with our bikes.
    We got late flight on a Fri from M/C and stayed in one of the Hotel across the road from airport entrance, then early flight from Oslo to Bodo Sat am.
    We left our bikes and cases in Airport luggage storage to save hauling them to hotel.

Del

i was working so no real insight in to the mossie situation i’m afraid. i was there at all times of year. walking in to site in august was primaloft jacket and hat on the way in at 6am, shirt sleeves and no hat on the way back mid afternoon, so be prepared for the temperature to wag about a bit.
    there certainly weren’t any mossie issues in february, but it was -17. 8)
    lovely part of the world in many respects and the norwegians are a very accommodating bunch on a personal level.

sideshow
    Free Member

Passed through there on a road trip this July – so can’t help you with getting there (we took ferry to dunkirque and ferry hirshals-larvik)

Can’t speak for other times of year but the mosquitoes were not even 1% as bad as the midge clouds I’ve experienced in Scotland.

ton

100mphplus, that is what we have opted to do. overnight in Oslo at the raderson at the airport.

cheers all.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just had a look at it on the map. Further north and more coastal than i’ve been, i reckon you’ll not have an issue with mossies. Get yourself a fair bit south and more sheltered/forested (Trondheim maybe) in may/june/july and you’ll lose several pints of blood a day. I’ve heard of (not seen) areas with virtually no wildlife other than largish, slowish grazers (Deer, Elk, Pigs basically) thanks to the mossies. Anything that can move out, moves out.

Can’t help with transport, i drove.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Still, get some antihistamines and Mygga to be on the safe side.

ton

going in late august to the Lofoten isles. quite breezy too, so hopefully it wont be too bad.

taking a fair bit of planning, flight to Oslo, overnight there, flight to Bodo, feery to Moskenes.
    10 days exploring then repeat the travel marathon…..hope it is worth it. 😀

100mphplus
    Free Member

We were there end July beginning Aug and I can’t remember any problems with mossies?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

That’s pretty much out of season.

Usually start dying off in early/mid july depending on where you are (north/south/inland/coastal/forested)

We can pretty much see the sea from where we are, so we have a very short season (pretty much mid may-end of june) and only have an issue occasionally, when its calm and damp.

20 km inland they suffer for pretty much all of the three months, may-july. But they are sheltered and quite heavily forested.

Greybeard
    Free Member

When I went to Lofoten to go sea kayaking, we took the ferry to Gothenburg and the train through Sweden (up the Baltic coast and over the top) to Narvik. Might be worth considering?

nbt

*tick* looks ace. Looking forward to the report when you get back, but for now I shall use this thread as an inspiration for forthcoming trips

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘getting to Bodo Norway with your bike…….anyone?’ is closed to new replies.