Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Getting the black off crank arms ideas
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

My pet hate is black crank arms. My bike came with them and, surprise surprise, it is rubbing off. Anyone got a quick and painless way of polishing the whole arm ??
    Thanks guys

johnnystorm

Is it anodized? Oven cleaner and a nylon scourer?

psycorp
    Free Member

I used a dremel and wire wool when I did mine.

TheSlider
    Free Member

I suppose they are anodised ? Whatever the normal finish is. Tried wire wool but it’s pretty slow going. Didn’t use any liquid apart from water. Will try both those then. Thanks guys

dovebiker

Caustic soda

voodoo_chile

Work down with wet nd dry down to really fine stuff then autosol it for a bit ..

Denis99
    Free Member

Wet and dry paper with some water.

It’s a messy job though, it”ll take some time though.

Finish off with a tube of Autosol, and some fine wire wool.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If its anodised oven cleaner won’t work. You need caustic soda. It works very well but is very dangerous. Other than that is wet and dry and elbow grease.

johnnystorm

Aren’t most oven cleaners caustic soda?

Alphabet

But black is the best colour. My pet hate is when crank arms come in anything but black.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Oven cleaners are not normally strong enough to remove anodising. I did a lot of experiments when I was considering stripping some rims to get painted. In the end the only thing that would remove it was caustic soda. It’s easy enough just very dangerous if you are not careful. I’m not normally mr health and safety but I was extra cautious messing with this stuff.

dannyh
    Free Member

Shimano AM45 shoes do the trick on mine. I love the shoes, but they do seem wide compared to others!

ssboggy

Caustic soda, wear thick rubber gloves and don’t leave them in too long. 5 minutes or so should do then give them a rub over with a scourer and all the anodising will come off.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Mr Cycle pink bike cleaner from the poundshop. According to my brother it eats anodised finishes if you leave it on too long.

nwill1
    Free Member

See my Saint cranks polished here…

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11321170/

Caustic soda but BE CAREFUL ! The stuff is leathal !

Rinse then wet/dry them working finer and finer, finish with autosol.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Brilliant response from all. I LOVE THIS FORUM

Northwind

Shimano? Ride for 5 minutes, it’ll all come off.

(Raceface are clever about this, they have the raised bits which look cool once polished)

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Alphabet – Member

But black is the best colour. My pet hate is when crank arms come in anything but black.

Deviant.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cant link to it.

holst
    Free Member

Replace them with some silver ones and sell the black ones.

RustyNissanPrairie

Glass bead blast, polish afterwards. Take 10minutes

Goldigger
    Free Member

Get a bag of anodising striper and etch
    http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Anodise-Stripper-and-Etch.php
    They also have an eBay store..

Get a polishing kit that can be used in a drill, that will take no time at all..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281553615522

cookeaa

a useful ‘how to’ But basically it requires time, emery paper and a Dremel… Caustic soda? Bollox to that!

cjr61

Caustic soda works a treat.

…Just don’t drink it or splash it anywhere!

Dump the cranks in the soda & water, leave until the fizzing mostly stops, rinse well then autosol for a shiny finish.

Sorted

TheSlider
    Free Member

Had a got is afternoon on the non drive arm and it’s looking pretty good but just read ‘cjr61’ and realised I made it harder than I needed. Tomorrow is another day……cheers all !

TheSlider
    Free Member

By the way, they are SRAM X1’s not sure if they are powder coated or anodised but the soda trick is working using a scourer. Took about an hour and half. Think I need to make it thicker !!!

sirromj

I’m fairly sure there’s another brand who make something with a similar name but specially for rubbing off annodized finishes.

papamountain
    Free Member

Drain cleaner. Ano comes off in minutes. Then metal polish.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m fairly sure there’s another brand who make something with a similar name but specially for rubbing off annodized finishes.

scotchbrite (comes in different colours/grades)

https://www.mscdirect.co.uk/CGI/INSRCH?ns=1&oldNtt=&oldNtk=&oldURLVar=&scrNtt=scotch-brite&image.x=0&image.y=0&Ntk=Keyword+Search

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Quick ride in Kielder. Gone.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Getting the black off crank arms ideas’ is closed to new replies.