Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Getting specs frames glazed
  • bowglie

Has anyone bought spectacle frames online and then got them glazed by a high st optician? Any issues?

FWIW, I was going to get the frames from my local optician before Xmas, but they’ve sold the frames and can’t get any more as they were a 2015 model, and the opticians are trying to talk me into buying a different frame that they have in stock – they were a bit evasive when I asked about glazing frames that I supply.

globalti
    Free Member

If they won’t do it, move on and find someone who will.

jam-bo

because all the profit margin is in the frames.

edit: just take your prescription and get them glazed by the online retailer with the frame in stock?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Don’t go to a high street optician – find your nearest optical workshop and go there or so online.

My lenses are £85 minimum on the high street but I was charged £39 at the optical workshop out of the town centre.

tomd
    Free Member

Yes, local independent high street optician did it no problem for me. It was actually them that recommended doing it that way – she said they can’t keep a decent enough range of frames but still happy to do all the rest.

FWIW the independent place charged about 50% less for the lenses than the big high street places wanted (£100 vs £200). Exact same lenses from the same manufacturer. One of these things where it pays to shop around.

z1ppy

yep had my local indy opticians reglazed all my glasses (everyday/spares/sunglasses) & then bought some sport frame off them, as they’d actually reglaze my old ones for not a lot, instead of only giving me the option of buying me new ones, like all the major stores had previously.

bowglie

Thanks for the replies – think I’ll go for the online frames. TBH, if I’d got a straightforward prescription, I’d have the specs made up at one of the online places – but, I’m a middle aged old f**t, and now need varifocals, so I’d rather go to a high street shop to get my boss-eyes measured up!

northernmatt

Just get an eye test done at an opticians and then get the frames glazed by ciliary blue. Cheap as chips.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Have you tried varifocals? I couldn’t get on with them at all. Evil things!

jkomo

Varifocals need doing by a proper opticians.
    Specsavers will reglaze existing frames. Single vision £39. Varis from £88 to £198 depending on quality.
    Cheapest are okay, worth going mid to top depending on budget.
    And if you don’t get on they’ll give a refund.
    Your frame won’t be covered if it breaks though. (Not likely unless it’s shit or a copy)

CountZero

suburbanreuben – Member
    Have you tried varifocals? I couldn’t get on with them at all. Evil things!

Basic varifocals are difficult to cope with, but properly set up multipoint varifocals are superb, there’s no obvious changes or distortions when you look around wearing them, I wear mine when driving, I can see perfectly ahead, at the dash, at my phone’s satnav sat on top of the dash…
    They are expensive, though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Getting specs frames glazed’ is closed to new replies.