Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Getting soooooo wet and cold, it puts you off riding
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

I can't get over your waterproofs "only" lasting a couple of hours… I suffer make use of a similar layer of thermal insulation to Ton though. Always the last to notice the cold (oh, and I have only used it once, but a rash vest keeps you toasty even when wet through).

teagirl
    Free Member

Ya softie! Us girls were out today in wind and rain, only saw one bloke out! 😀

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Johnny,I got my idea from riding the place. It is short enough to blast round.There's been a liberal coating of ice on my last two visits.
    If we waited for warm days and dry trails,we wouldn't get much riding done on our woderful island. Riding in the mud keeps you sharp.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as taken in soggy Yorkshire on Saturday:

he's obviously hating it 🙁

Ti29er
    Free Member

Is there a sound reason why some people choose not to wear some sort of eye protection?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is there a sound reason why some people choose not to wear some sort of eye protection?

a) I don't like it
    b) it's unnecessary
    c) the eyelids and eyelashes already provide protection

Ti29er
    Free Member

The eyes are too sensitive & too easily damaged not to add simple protection IMHO plus we have only one layer of protection (my dogs, by way of a contrast, have two), plus eyelashes and closed eyes were never meant for cycling activities.

hora
    Free Member

Its well documented my aversion to rain.

However I rode on Sat in vertical wind with hail/rain.

How I did it- British Army DPM jacket, two merino wool tops and a baseball cap under my helmet. **** who cares what that bit looks like- but it DOES keep the rain out of your face properly.

nbt

Young Dave riley – Member

Johnny,I got my idea from riding the place. It is short enough to blast round.

Penmachno takes me about 2 to 2.5 hours just for loop 1, so 3.5 to 4 for both I reckon, but to be honest the only time we've ridden both we cut out one section entirely (the clearfelled bowl just after you rejoin loop 1) as the weather was so awful we couldn't actually ride: one of the girls was literally blown off her bike into the ditch.

You're obviously quicker than me

Ti29er
    Free Member

As an aside – now that the worst of the February Part 2 weather has now abated – does anyone wear full length waterproof trews?
    I've been eyeing up those w/proof over-shorts that would seem to be a good idea but the full length w/proofs I own for trekking seems like a hiding to gas mark 6!

PS – Rode Pen's 2x loops in 3hrs with lots of photo / video stops in October & thought it was magnificent.

chiefgrooveguru

Buffalo shirt and Sealskinz?

MartinGT
    Free Member

Simple answer, MTFU and get some lycra on instead of baggies. Baggies are cold when they are wet.

Did a cracking ride around Dent yesterday, got wet trough but was still warm and I was wearing, Lycra shorts, leg wwarmers, cycle top, gillet & arm warmers and gloves, helmet etc and was nice and toasty

Rorschach
    Free Member

"Penmachno takes me about 2 to 2.5 hours just for loop 1, so 3.5 to 4 for both I reckon" what…walking!!!!
    Actually scrub that most of the people I saw on saturday would have been quicker walking-and while I'm ranting whats with stopping for mechanicals right in the middle of the trail!!! And stopping for a chin wag exactly at the point the singletrack ends at the fire road thereby blocking it off.Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I should REALLY stay away from manmade trails…..

lowey

FWIW Binners, book a nice day and go back to Penmachno. Its my fav man made trail. I love it.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmm Glentress Red is mine then Penmachno.

Saying that I've never done the South Wales ones.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The eyes are too sensitive & too easily damaged not to add simple protection IMHO

I'll take my chances – the one time I nearly got something stuck in my eye it came in from the side where I doubt glasses would have made any difference.

plus eyelashes and closed eyes were never meant for cycling activities.

it's called "blinking"…

does anyone wear full length waterproof trews?

shorts all year round 🙂

Mounty_73

I did the wettest ride on Friday, its been a while since I have ridden a REALLY wet one like that…BUT…IMO…

Its hard.
    It makes you think why do I do it and sometimes it makes you want to stop doing it.
    Once you have done it, you feel much better for having done it.
    It does toughen you up. 😉

I will also be re-thinking about my kit etc

Over the last few years I just have the attitude I just dont care about the weather anymore, half the battle is in the mind…and simply getting outside..

Just get out and ride…. 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

FWIW, I’ve been reading about the Falkland’s Conflict and one of the reasons the Para’s, Royals et al did so well on the islands was, in one commentator’s opinion the British cold weather training was clearly superior to the Argies.

So don’t be too despondent, we, we wheeled few, are out there in all weathers, at all hours of the day & night, proving that the worst of the British weather can do pretty much what it damn well likes but it still won’t stop us hardened souls riding our bikes in it!

ps – I do believe the sun has got its hat on this week!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"eyewear"

Tend to ride slower on the slippery hills over-winter so seem to get less crap thrown off the front wheel and into my eyes, and my crud-guard and specs help a bit too.

As the trails dry out my speed increases and I get lots more crap hit me in the eye – very dangerous losing your sight at 20+ mph, having to slam the brakes on while blind and then clear it out. Even then I often return home and look in the mirror to see grit jammed into the corners of my eyes!

The fork-beef-flap is a good, cheap defence and a new one will be going on this weekend. But I've also just bought some close-fitting prescription Oakleys (£££). When they turn up, I hope they help.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The fork-beef-flap is a good, cheap defence

on Saturday everyone remarked that my face was clean and they were all like the shot above, despite having fork-flaps. I have a crud catcher zip-tied under my fork crown – it may be inelegant but it obviates the need for eyewear 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I have a crud catcher zip-tied under my fork crown"

Interesting but how does it not interfere with steering? Got a picture?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Geometry plays a big part.
    My Giant VT2 threw everything into my face, regardless of the weather.
    The 29er is my pal and so treats me with more respect & keeps me reasonably splatter-free.
    Both have / had Crud carchers.

Now I need to invent a rear mud guard that works with bigger wheels as the Crud Catcher doesn't!

hora
    Free Member

I can tell you one thing. I **** hate those bastard rear crudcatchers. I ripped the thing off this weekend as it keeps BRRR'ing on the rear wheel then coming off sideways/hanging off etc etc.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"BRRR'ing on the rear wheel then coming off sideways/hanging off"

Sounds like you have the wrong lump of rubber under the clasp and maybe could do with tightening it up. Love mine – keeps my bum comfy. Ugly things tho.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Getting soooooo wet and cold, it puts you off riding’ is closed to new replies.