Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Getting Someone Else's Banking Emails
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I appear to be getting an American’s banking emails. It started off with a load of emails about a tax return through a US company called Turbo Tax. They seem to be some form of online tax return company in the US. Now I am getting loads of emails about a new credit card from Net Spend.

They don’t appear to be dodgy. Just emails saying thank you for signing up, your card is on its way, your new card has been activated etc.

I have spoken to my bank who confirm that no direct debits etc. have been set up. They also sent me some antivirus software to scan my emails etc. No phishing emails or similar nasties found.

I have concluded that someone put the wrong email in when signing up. Presumably they have a very similar email address. I would have expected the email address would need to be confirmed by the applicant, but maybe online banking security isn’t as hot in the US as it is over here?

Do I ignore the emails, contact this Net Spend and say they have the wrong email address or do something else?

peterfile
    Free Member

Tell them they have the wrong email, just in case its legit

lemonysam
    Free Member

I get this for two people, a samamatha in north london and a samir in texas. The sad bit is, they both seem to lead more interesting lives than me…

Russell96

I get someone who’s left the US military and signed up for various education programs available for vets, along with reminders to get their Toyota serviced and a copy of their agreement with a local cable company for TV and internet. I’ve tried replying to the senders with no change, so now they must wonder why their car dealer is crap at service, why they never get any email from their university and bills for their cable TV.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Happens to me sometimes, I have quite a common name. Most recently, I’ve had:
    – regular estate agent’s details of houses for sale in Adelaide (they look lovely, but the commute would be a bastard)
    – reminders to follow up on my expressed interest in what appears to be some sort of pyramid selling scheme run by an Australian Pastor
    – confidential architect’s drawings for a property development project, together with notes about how planning permission might be obtained. It all seemed rather sketchy to me; but at least this guy was nice enough to acknowledge my reply and apologise
    – details of a spa weekend that the sender had arranged for me and her, together with a couple of recent photos. I was tempted to just rock up to this one and see what happened – the lady was quite pretty.

plyphon
    Free Member

Heh,

I get Verizon emails for someone called Linda in America.

I contacted Verizon and told them, they replied saying they have removed my email from her account.

She then readded my email. Now my email isn’t name.secondname, nor is my name Linda, so wtf right.

I tried to contact Verizon again, but eventually I just blocked them and now they sit somewhere between the Nigerian Princes and the pills that promise me extra endurance.

sniff
    Free Member

Go to the website and enter your email to login. Hit forgotten password and you can get into their account. Either visit your favourite bike website with said credit details and fill you boots or see if there is more info to track the person down like address etc.

bensales
    Free Member

I get some fella’s Paypal and Ebay emails. I’ve tried to get in touch with him to tell him he’s put his email address in wrong but had no luck. Equally spent a long time on with Paypal trying to explain to them that I could easily reset his Paypal password and access his account. They didn’t seem very bothered.

One of these days I’ll just shut down his Paypal and Ebay accounts.

drlex
    Free Member

One of these days I’ll just shut down his Paypal and Ebay accounts.

Isn’t the STW-way to order something from Dave Hinde using PPG?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Getting Someone Else's Banking Emails’ is closed to new replies.