Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Getting smells out of kit????
  • Sugar2
    Free Member

Can someone tell me how to remove the general smells from cycling kit. I must excrete a fair amount of urea (!) and it is making my kit stink, Persil and a fabric softner won’t touch it?! White vinegar or bicarbonate of soda?

Anyone with a proven method as my new kit is being ruined.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Tub of oxy action… removes stains from white shirts etc etc a treat!

snowslave

Wash, dry, then put in the freezer for a few days

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

Stop washing thing at silly low temps 40º etc – use 60º at least

Sugar2
    Free Member

I was doing my bit for the environment!

Ok so it will be a 60 degree wash and some Oxy. My kit pongs to high heaven.

snowslave

Freezing your kit every now and then for a good while kills the bacteria in just the same way a hot wash does

geoffj

Dry it on the line outside now the fine weather is coming. UV is the best disinfectant there is.

bassspine
    Free Member

Sunlight as m’learned colleague says is a top, cheap destinkifier. If the weather isn’t cooperating, I soak all my gear once in a while in water with a few drops of tea tree oil in it. Then wash it as usual.

If you wash some expensive synthetic wicky gear too hot, it kills the material but washing at low temps doesn’t kill the bacteria.

Tea tree is a mild disinfectant that only smells slightly wierd.

MrK
    Free Member

snowslave – Member
    Freezing your kit every now and then for a good while kills the bacteria in just the same way a hot wash does

says who?! it just slows the metabolic rate of the bugs to zero. they’re still there and will come back on the thaw

GW
    Free Member

seriously?
    your kit is so smelly that washing it doesn’t remove the smell?
    bin it!

Rich
    Free Member

Set fire to it.

ajf
    Free Member

Use tekwash or soak in miltons steriliser stuff. My running stuff was potent but is now a managable smell.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dry on the line, or go to your local shop and pick up some http://www.zoflora.co.uk/home/

and add a few drops of it in the washing machine where you’d normally put conditioner, seems to work for mine. I HATE the horrible slightly musty smell when clothes havent dried properly, I seem to be super-sensitive to it.

enfht
    Free Member

My kit never smelt in the old days when well-weathered ugly women used to wash it on a rock in the river. Damn those pesky washine machines, hotpoint have a lot to answer for imo 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

Assos detergent. You’ll choke at how expensive it is but you only need a tiny bit, and you can just add half a cap to normal detergent. It’s brilliant at killing smells.

Beware of using sunlight, as the UV could degrade the fibres in the fabric, being synthetic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Getting smells out of kit????’ is closed to new replies.