Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Getting rid of the smell of pi$$y smell of ammonia – how?
  • IHN

So, the Great Move North has gone swimmingly so far, and we moved into our new (rented) place on Tuesday. The thing is, either the landlord or the previous tenant has cleaned the carpets with, I suspect, one of those machines you can hire at the dry cleaners. The cleaning agent obviously had ammonia in it, as the rooms now have a delightful smell of stale pi$$…

Any ideas for getting rid of the less than beautiful bouquet?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Baking soda (bicarb), tip a packet on a plate and leave it in the room?

Cougar

Ring the landlord?

binners

IIRC I think you pour red wine on the carpets

wwaswas

I’d suspect the previous tenant had pissed on the floor in all the rooms if it were me…

IHN

Cougar – don’t really want to go there yet, don’t want to start off as the whinging tenant.

Binners – good idea. Surely, if I pour both red and white wine on, it won’t stain…

geetee1972
    Free Member

The thing is, neither the landlord nor the previous tenant has cleaned the carpets with, I suspect, one of those machines you can hire at the dry cleaners. The cleaning agent obviously had ammonia in it, as and the rooms now have a delightful smell of stale pi$$…

More likely…… 🙄

binners

EXACTLY!!!

banks
    Free Member

It’s the landlords problem. Otherwise, shit loads of baking soda & salt, brush into carpets & Hoover up a few days later. Worked for me on multiple occasions when I’ve pissed on the floor or thrown up on it.

binners

If the house has 70’s sofa’s and carpets you have to do this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8CTscW3dpI[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Classic neutralising reaction required and by the power of the internet:

The recipe works because the reaction of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
    produces large amount of oxygen. The oxygen molecules bond to the thiols,
    breaking them up into carbon dioxide and ammonia, that evaporates quickly
    thereby effectively neutralizing the thoils and their foul-smelling odor.

THE RECIPE

* 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
    * 1/4 cup baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon of liquid soap

Gently mix all ingredients in a non-metal container. Do not mix or shake
    vigorously!

The mixture is best used when fresh but can be stored. Do not keep mixture in an
    airtight container as baking soda and hydrogen peroxide when mixed together
    release loads of oxygen. We don’t want an explosion on our hands on top of the
    mess we already have!

I mix and keep mine in a large spray bottle I bought from Home Depot but on old
    plastic liter soda bottle works just a well. Just remember to keep the cap on
    loose.

3% hydrogen peroxide can be bought at most grocery and drug stores in pint
    and quart bottles.

A word of caution:

Surfaces that are porous may swell e.g. drywall, wood flooring, particle board,
    etc. with application of this recipe. But if your surface is already ruined by cat
    urine and you want to get rid of the odor until you can replace it – give it a try.
    Source(s):
    For more information, tips, and advice, visit http://www.thejanitorialsupply.com/
    Hope this helps!

binners

hydrogen peroxide? You didn’t find that on a site praising the prophet did you thm? 😉

Actually, what that makes is pretty much old-style, non-bio washing powder. When added to water it just releases a lot of oxygen

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Careful Binners, that could be misinterpreted!!

The answer is no, but I did wonder about the instruction “do not mix or stir vigorously”!! 😉

binners

I used to work on a plant that made the stuff. Everyone was blond.

Shove Hydrogen Peroxide onto anything and it tends to get a tad lively. I’ve heard fertiliser is a definite no no 😉

3% hydrogen peroxide can be bought at most grocery and drug stores in pint
    and quart bottles.

I definitely wouldn’t want to keep containers of the stuff around the house!! And I’d imagine going requesting some at your local grocery store would get you straight on a government watched list of some form or other 😯

Bunnyhop

Foul smelling odour you say?
    Have you accidently moved into our house?

Send MartynS round with a big sponge, hot water and soap to act as chief scrubber.

JPcapel
    Free Member

As another way of viewing this…

You attempt to clean (remove odour) from carpet, you muck up the carpet in someway, shape or form.
    Under the terms of most tenancy agreements you then are liable for the damage caused and end up funding intrinsic value of carpet.

Better approach, don’t fear being labeled a moaning tenant, rather your paying good money to cover another parties mortgage, ask, as is reasonable, for agent/landlord to remediate the odour that is present in the carpets.

Best of luck, smell of p155 is rank.

footflaps

If we’re talking internet chemistry, what you need is an old Irish recipe: For this you’ll need an oil drum, 100kg of fertiliser, a few bags of sugar and some diesel. Mix well and pack ‘cleaning agent’ in oil drum.

Place in middle of carpet, stand well back and light fuse – pretty much guarantees you’ll no longer have a house smelling of ammonia. However, you might lose your deposit…

sparkyrhino

boil up a sheeps head, that will get rid of the smell

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of the smell of pi$$y smell of ammonia – how?’ is closed to new replies.