Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Getting rid of the "flasky" taste from your flask.
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have two Stainless Steel Thermos flasks – both excellent at keeping my coffee warm all day. However, as some of you will no doubt have experienced, the coffee tastes a bit “flasky” after a few hours. I keep the SS clean, but it seems that it’s the silicone (?) seals used on the flask which seem to get a bit stinky. No amount of dishwashing or soaking in boiling water seems to change this?

Anybody managed to get them clean? Hot soak in a solution of baking soda maybe?

Cougar

Milton?

I found the best way of keeping coffee in a flask tasting like coffee is to not put milk in it.

maccruiskeen

I don’t use milk and that helps. Some people recommend denture cleaning tablets (take two with a glass of water every 4 hrs – a smelly flask will soon be the last of your worries, but you’ll be the corpse with the brightest smile in the morgue) or biological laundry detergent for de-fugging stuff, although with the latter you then need to try and get rid of the laundry flavour

zeesaffa
    Free Member

This is the reason I browse this forum!
    Forget bikes… It’s for these conundrums that bother me everyday yet I’ve never thought of asking anyone about it!

cinnamon_girl

Bicarbonate of soda overnight then rinse thoroughly. Don’t put milk in it. That’s why Creamers were invented, available from most supermarkets. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t put milk in it.

Guilty as charged folks!

Tbh, like I said, the flask itself smells fresh as a daisy (I’m quite good about keeping them clean); it’s the seals that have gone a bit rank. I’ll try soaking them in hot solution of bicarb of soda when I pick some up this week.

I’ll stop adding milk in the mornings and bring some separately – I have no bloody end of spare plastic vessels for carrying milk these days anyway. 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

Avoid milk in the flask and try not top it up to the silicone seal level.

😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And evidently keep the flask vertical. 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

Punish the flask with gin. It’s the only way.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Just use hot water in the flask and the rest of your brew making kit seperately in little click boxes

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

At that rate, I might as well bring a kettle. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

When i used flasks regular i swore by no milk + not washing the flask often – treat it like a cafetiere.

Rinse it daily and steralise once a month or so. No metaliccy flask taste 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Getting rid of the "flasky" taste from your flask.’ is closed to new replies.