Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • getting paid to ride to work…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

this is a little hypothetical but here goes….

…so here in germany they have a scheme where-by you can claim (i think) 21cents back for every km on your way to work.

but if you ride a bike or take public transport you get nothing.

shouldn’t this be the other way round?

if you were to get an extra £10/week for using your bike, would you?

would it make a difference?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

umm yeah!! and if they did back pay I could retire!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh city council wanted to introduce a scheme to pay people the same milage rate as cars to cycle to work or cycle for work appointments as stats show commuter cyclists less time off sick. The taxman decided this was a taxable benefit so that stopped the idea.

jim
    Free Member

I get 20p a mile for cycling to work. Have to pay tax on it though.

wors

Who calculates the mileage?

I can come to work numerous ways, the shortest being 7 miles and other ways that are longer.

miketually
    Free Member

I got 20p per mile for cycling for work, but not to work.

aP
    Free Member

You can claim 20p per mile for cycling to other sites from work.
    We do it here – quite a few people will cycle out from here rather than take public transport (no one really drives).

stuckinarut
    Free Member

I get £4.50 a day for cycling in to work,

or rather it means I don’t have to fork out £4.50 a day for car parking if I’m on the bike. Incentive enough for me, not so much the cost but the never-ending quest for car park change!

atlaz
    Free Member

You can also do it if you’re going to work if your place of work is temporarily changed. So if you live in the middle of an area and you’re an engineer who needs to get around the local area for site visits (for example), you can get the 20p a mile.

I fail to see how they can validate this so I can only assume some people will abuse this unmercifully.

jim
    Free Member

Who calculates the mileage?

It’s based on the shortest road route, so it makes no difference if I choose a 20mile route rather than the direct 3.

I just tell them how many days in the month I’ve ridden in.

kimbers

well my tube fare would be over a grand a year

my bike cost about 250 🙂 brake pads servicing probably costs me about 100 a year?

but dont actually get paid for it

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Our trust offer you money to turn down your rights to a car parking permit as well as paying you a rate to ride in out side of your normal hours but as it is less than the car rate i tend to drive when coming in out of hours 😉

MoreCashThanDash

We get 20p per mile for mileage on company business, not for commuting in.

Commuting does save me at least a tenner a week in petrol, and next year we move to an office with no parking, so it will save me the same again to avoid driving to the tram stop and then paying to come in on the tram.

And don’t get me started on the Workplace Parking Levy or whatever it is called…..

D0NK

ooh I’d love to get 20p per mile for riding in, 125miles a week, bargain.

beej

I get £85 per month (gross) for not having a parking space, and I can claim 20p per mile for riding between buildings, although I’ve not ever bothered to claim that.

matt_outandabout

I paid myself and partner 20p per mile to ride for work.

My brothers old architects practice in Newcastle paid 50p per mile(!), including commuting(!) and provided lockers/bike park/showers etc, the argument being that it was cheaper than providing a parking space for fat, unhealthy staff to use. Bonus (although they had to pay tax on it 🙁 )

grumm
    Free Member

I could get 20p per mile for cycling for work (not to work), except I think now that I have a c2w scheme bike I can’t claim it.

Incentives for cycling to work is a great idea though.

onandon
    Free Member

if you are a PAYE employee then no, you cant claim BUT if you are a limited company or work through an umbrella company you can claim for cycling and walking ……not sure of the rates per mile though

samuri
    Free Member

yeah, we can claim mileage for moving between sites but not for travelling to our regular place of work. This is one rate for a car and another for a bike.

AdamW
    Free Member

We get 50p per day if we commute in by bike/motorbike or car share. I started commuting last year and go in a couple of times a week (Its quite a distance for me!) and have made £25 so far. We get given ‘bonus bonds’ or equivalent to spend in the canteen.

coffeeking
    Free Member

We get 20p a mile for cycling on work time, nowt for commuting to and from work.
    I have a mate who once did a 100mile trip to another work location, then 100 miles back and claimed it from his work with a look of confusion from the woman doing the expenses – he has the forms photocopied and framed 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘getting paid to ride to work…..’ is closed to new replies.