Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Getting over jet lag
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon
    Having never done a 2 week holiday in a much different time zone I am really struggling to get my body back to GMT. So STW what are your tips for resolving this?
    Cheers

Flaperon

24 hour fast then breakfast at the correct time.

daftvader
    Free Member

Ooof! Couldn’t do that!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Stay up, don’t take a “nap”.

Then self medicate with alcohol and an Actifed tablet to get to sleep at the right time.

Works for me.

IANAD.

konagirl
    Free Member

Lots of daylight and eating at the right times. It’s hard but avoid ‘naps’ in the day and also avoid caffeine so you are more likely to get to sleep at night.

Next time, start shifting your time zone the day before you fly back and change your watch / eating / sleeping on your flight as far as you can to get back to UK time. So for eastwards (USA return) flights, eat early at the airport and don’t eat on the flight until breakfast, get straight to sleep.

Rule of thumb is it can take some people 1 day per 1 hour time difference to adapt.

crikey
    Free Member

Rule of thumb is it can take some people 1 day per 1 hour time difference to adapt.

Lol.

I work on nights 4 or 5 times a year, and have anywhere from 1 to 3 days to change over into day mode. Given that I’m looking at a 12 hour time difference, 12 days would seem a tad excessive.

You’ll be tired for a couple of days, but I’m sure you’ll pull through…

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks chaps! Last time I went to South America I nearly died so the jet lag really wasn’t an issue… This time I’m really feeling it and it was only 5 hours behind!

shermer75
    Free Member

Lol.
    I work on nights 4 or 5 times a year, and have anywhere from 1 to 3 days to change over into day mode. Given that I’m looking at a 12 hour time difference, 12 days would seem a tad excessive.
    You’ll be tired for a couple of days, but I’m sure you’ll pull through…

There’s more to it than just sleeping at different times. The body syncs its hormone levels to daylight too.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

duh….use the force? 😉

crikey
    Free Member

There’s more to it than just sleeping at different times. The body syncs its hormone levels to daylight too.

Durr… Really?

I’ve been doing nights and days for 30 years, I know.

daftvader
    Free Member

Whathaviisaidnow…. It doesn’t work like that on the daftside!!! 😆

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rum.

daftvader
    Free Member

Did waaaaaay too much of that in Cuba… Liver needs a bit of a rest!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Squeeze in some lime for vitamin C?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Whathaviisaidnow…. It doesn’t work like that on the daftside!!!

🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Lots of coffee in the mornings, lay off it after lunch, that is always my routine. Plus, just live with it and don’t stress out if you find yourself lying in bed.

daftvader
    Free Member

Richpenny… Nota bad plan, sir, may try that later!!!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Flying east always hit me worst.

Get out in the sunlight whenever possible, it helps reset your clock.

Xylene
    Free Member

Get some modafanil great for jet lag

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On boarding the flight set your watch to the time at your destination. Try and fit around that. So, if you should be sleeping, sleep. Etc.

Am off Westbound tomorrow at around lunchtime. Will treat it as a normal Sunday. Big lunch, couple of glasses of wine. Plenty of water. Nice afternoon snooze. Then, on arrival stay up later than normal to get in to the right time.

Eastbound, homeward flight, much easier! Night flight. Same watch tactic, but just a cheeky glass of Port or two with some cheese and then straight to sleep!

tjagain

I do day and night shifts – my recipe for getting over the shift lag is simply to not fret about it. Worked the last 3 nights so am in night mode. Today I slept for the morning. (4 hrs sleep) I will stay up until tired tonight and then sleep until I wake – and will be back in day mode.

Don’t worry about the time. Get outside for some exercise and then sleep when your body tells you to.

IMO its a bit like insomnia – its gets worse when you worry about it so don’t worry.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cfh…I haven’t got a watch…. Tjagain I suffer with insomnia too 😕

tjagain

so go to bed when tired and set your alarm for what time you have to get up. Get up then. Stay up until tired. repeat .

daftvader
    Free Member

That’s generally what I do tbh. But with the kids at home I need to be back on form asap and I’m really not having much fun with it

crikey
    Free Member

We really need a ‘walking away shaking head at the silliness’ emoji.

Jet lag is not a condition that anyone should be taking medication for; it’s a period of fatigue following a mess about with your sleeping patterns.

Suck it up and don’t take stuff for it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I think he needs a travel mug of coffee to keep him awake.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Try not to go to bed before 20:30. Avoid naps, if you do nap keep it short in a uncomfortable chair. Do simple activities ideally not too physically demanding but still active. Regular breaks. Force yourself up in the morning at normal times.

I’m at 75% after 1 day but it takes about 3 days to fully recover for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Crikey is correct!

The only medication you should be considering for jetlag is a nice glass or two of something and plenty of water. And sleep.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Light is the key. Once read advice about looking out of the window of the flight and keeping your eyes accustomed to the light as you fly east and (usually because of overnight flights) follow the sun rise. Worked for me the one time I managed to try it.

Most of the time though everyone wants the shutters down and get broken sleep throughout the flight. Better to sleep while it’s dark and then be woken and shutters open as the sun rises. Serve breakfast then, instead of just before approach for landing. Though sun does glare through the windows. Need shades on the windows but not block it out.

daftvader
    Free Member

Well I have taken on board all the suggestions and am now taking several glasses of nice beer, followed by several glasses of nice rum possibly with some lime for added vitamin C. Further information as events warrant!!

seadog101

I do long haul flights across the Atlantic every month. It’s for work. They suck.

Avoid coffee (caffeine in any form) and booze before, during and after flight (maybe one wine with the meal…?). Fight through the tiredness and try to go to bed at the right time following the flight.

I normally arrive home mid-morning, and beat the weariness by taking a long walk in the afternoon. Makes me shattered come the evening and the get a good nights kip off the back of it. right as rain in the morning.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

seadog, mind if I ask where you’re flying to, and who with? Our paths may cross! I do similar, usually about once a month to the US, increasingly doing Asia as well, so trying to spread things out a little.

Am a regular on DL to ATL, and BA to SEA, ORD and IAD.

dantsw13

I’m a Longhaul pilot, so spend my life jet lagged! Don’t overthink it is my main advice. Once you get your head around the fact that resting in a darkened room with the lights out is almost the same restorative power as sleep, you’ll stress about it less, and probably get some sleep!

If I land back and get home before midday, I’ll have 2 hrs sleep, then stay up until normal bedtime. I always sleep well back in my own bed, regardless of East or West.

I don’t see the point flying through the night, then trying to stay up all day – that’s a 7 hr sleep deficit! I’ve just flown back from Seattle today. I had a 2 hr nap before leaving the hotel(after watching Wiggo & mates), a 2hr nap on the flight, and got home at 4PM, so I’ll stay up until bedtime now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wondered when you’d get here, Dan!

(BTW, next BA is on a 74, so won’t get to “buy” you that drink!)

daftvader
    Free Member

2 hour nap on the flight

😯 😆

dantsw13

We had 3 pilots, so all get a rest in our little penthouse suite! ( bunk above the 1st class cabin)

CFH, I’ll find you somewhere!! My next trip is a passenger too, flying to Boston on Thursday on a 747 to bring back a 777.

seadog101

@CFH

Usually out LHR-JFK (BA), then JFK to Georgetown in Guyana (Caribbean)
    Homewards is Georgetown to Antigua (Liat), Antigua to Gatwick.

The out flights are normally good, but homewards across the Caribbean with Liat is rather comical – never check in baggage, the last you will ever see it, expect long delays, extra nights in hotels, visit other islands randomly…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, different routes, then! Rarely do JFK these days. Have done Antigua to LGW, but it was with Dan’s lot, in the comfy seats up front. No worries about baggage or service there! LIAT do sound a bit touch and go, but then so are AA or KLM!

Dan, will be sure to let you know next time I’m on your fleet.

daftvader
    Free Member

More international paperclip sales people out there cfh!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Getting over jet lag’ is closed to new replies.