Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Getting over hair loss (vanity content)
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve been very slowly losing my hair since I was 19. It thankfully has been a very slow process and at 31 now it has just about reached the point whereby shaving it off completely is the only solution to stop looking like a young(ish) male desperately trying to cover up a (large) bald patch.

Over the years I’ve always managed to have hairstyles which more or less masked my thinning crop so was ok with it… I thought. It’s only now that I’ve realised how it has more or less destroyed my confidence, made me very very self aware and I’d go as far to say caused me anxiety and affected me socially. I wouldn’t say I am vein really but I have so many (possibly misplaced?) hang ups over being a skinhead. I worry over people’s impression of me, how I will appear in job interviews or meetings etc. will people think I am a skin head thug? Does it add 10 years onto me? Am I a bit of a laughing stock with my slap head? Basically my self esteem is a bit battered and despite the fact I remind myself it’s just hair I can’t help but feel very anxious about it.

Any other fellow follicly challenged folk who have managed not to stress over it?

m0rk
    Free Member

Useless without pics to laugh look at

That said, I have a v short haircut (grade 1) and after a week or two it looks a lot less ‘thug’ in a suit when I go to work.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Do you have a body like this.? If the answer is yes then I wouldn’t worry about your hair.

alfabus
    Free Member

don’t worry… unless you bic it, people will be able to tell that you’ve shaved it because you are a vain slaphead.

you’re welcome 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Look for some cool male role models with no hair. You’ll find loads.

Ask yourself what you think when you see a man with a grade 0 walking down the street. Do you think ‘omg look at him’ ? Of course you don’t. People don’t even look twice.

Am I a bit of a laughing stock with my slap head?

Have you EVER laughed at anyone with a grade 0?

Non-issue. If it’s good enough for Jason Statham, it’s plenty good enough for the rest of us!

Northwind

The only thing that’s remotely funny, is when people make terrible attempts to hide it. Otherwise, as above, it’s not even on people’s radar.

Except gullible women, obviously, they might think you’re more virile 😉

russ295
    Free Member

The hair styles that mask the thinning crop have prob looked worse than bald patch!
    Fellow baldy-ish here

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get it whipped off! Or treat yourself!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLpZj44ugc[/video]

bearnecessities

Over the years I’ve always managed to have hairstyles which more or less masked my thinning crop

No you haven’t 😀

Prepare for years of over-compensation at the gym!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Early 20’s had half an hour of angst then went to buy some clippers, job done.
    Why the angst? It’s just very short hair, not like you lost a limb or anything.
    As for looking like a thug it’s 2013 not 1970
    You think a combover or a baldy-ponytail looks good?

Deal with it.

d45yth
    Free Member

😆 at Monkeychild’s pic, I was going to post something similar but that’s much better!
    EDIT: Fancy a holiday? [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2HaijRs5KE[/video]

phunkmaster
    Free Member

You do not have to be Narcissus to be self concious about losing your hair but don’t worry about it mate. My colleagues with shaved heads look extremely smart and I don’t think anyone has ever mistaken them for C18.

zippykona

HAIR

NO HAIR

samuri
    Free Member

Balding is not a choice. Being bald is. Control your own destiny.[1]

[1] I still haven’t shaved my head despite knowing I’m a right slaphead from the back.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

get ur self castrated, it the nasty testosterone that **** up ur hair.
    but seriously have you tried minoxidil combined with Propecia.
    if i lost my hair id probably kill my self, but im female so its a fate worse than death.. or being fat

steve_b77
    Free Member

£29.99 for a set of Babyliss DIY cutters and get shot.

Not only will the ladies instantly swoon when you walk into the office, men will be jealous of your new movie star looks and you save a frikkin fortune on poor attempts to cover the baldy bits.

bearnecessities

but im female so its a fate worse than death.. or being fat

To be fair, large wabs makes up for a lot, even if a porker 😀

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

The shaved-head look is v-e-r-y foxy—stop fretting and get clipping, you’ll look gorgeous 8)

pacerc200
    Free Member

Think of your head as a solar panel for a sex machine, shave and unleash your inner power.

You are loosing your hair, it happens. MTFU it’s not as if its due to chemotherapy or any other medical intervention.

binners

Get up on a Monday morning, get the clippers on your baldy bonce. No guard. That’s for pussies (Or so I’ve heard).

Congratulations! That’s your hair care routine taken care of for the week!

It’s very liberating. You’ll never look back!

zippykona

Honestly, shaving your head feels so good. If I go more than a week I start to feel all niggly.
    Thankfully it’s not the 70s and you can shave your head and still be part of society.
    I defy you to break out the clippers, have a look in the mirror and not stand that little bit taller.
    We are men, embrace that fact.

higgo
    Free Member

Propecia?
    Not far off chemical castration.

binners

Obviously… I look like Vin Diesel*

* if he’d been living next door to Greggs for a while and had a weakness for sausage rolls.

pingu66
    Free Member

You can chose to look stupid with hairstyles which more or less masked your thinning crop (did you have a full comb over). Or yu can embrace it. There really isn’t a choice, its gone, unless you spend a lot of money on hair implants.

On a serious note at job interviews if you know your stuff, dressed appropriately and obviously do not have inappropriate tats nobody will consider your thinning hair.

bearnecessities

Obviously… I look like Vin Diesel*

* if he’d been living next door to Greggs for a while and had a weakness for sausage rolls.

😀

globalti
    Free Member

A shaved head looks good if your head is a good shape. If it isn’t, you’ll look a dork.

Mine started falling out when I was 21 and I’m used to it now though I still regret not being able to have a decent style. In the end what matters is your personality and good eye contact, which distracts attention away from your hair. Look people direct in the eye and smile and they will love you for it; last month a woman in an airport said to me: “You’re a very handsome man” but I’m sure she was really after my passport.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

Propecia?
    Not far off chemical castration.

if i had to chose between sex or hair, then it would have to be hair.

crikey
    Free Member

if i had to chose between sex or hair, then it would have to be hair.

You’ve met the wife then…

higgo
    Free Member

Yes, but you’re a girl.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

You’ve met the wife then…

if you were a woman you would understand.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

Yes, but you’re a girl.

an incredibly vain one.

crikey
    Free Member

an incredibly vain one.

Aaah….

No, it’s too easy a reply… 🙂

chris_db
    Free Member

I’m as bald as a coot and have been since 23, now 49. I wouldn’t have it back I’d look a right **** with hair!

Chris

AdamW
    Free Member

On the positive side you can now go out and try out a load of hats. My mate who shaves his head has loads of beanies and stuff to keep his head warm in the cold.

Don’t worry about it, embrace it. Its a sign of virility!

binners

Don’t forget your summer hat wardrobe too! Lots of sun is no laughing matter (well… It is for your mates) when you’ve a big shiny fod!

Embrace the wide brimmed hat! You too can look like Geoffrey Boycott! 🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Amazingly the comments have made me feel better. Even the piss take ones. I realise I have to just get over myself. I think I also have a bit of hair style envy. The last time I had a hair style which I thought was genuinely cool was in 1998, since thn it’s just been about trying to make my hair line look like it wasn’t receding.

Anyway, it is done. Shaved down to a grade 1/2 I think (grade 1 with the little lever flipped forward). Not bad considering. Wife, being kind, said I look a bit like Kelly Slater. I’ll take that.

pacerc200
    Free Member

Good on you, next step clean it up with a razor.

zippykona

Welcome aboard brother.

mogrim

All the guys I know at work with hair loss end up shaving their heads, it’s completely normal now – and a lot more acceptable than either a combover or some grim ponytail attempt to pretend they’re still 18…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Getting over hair loss (vanity content)’ is closed to new replies.