Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Getting old my eyes are failing any deals on Oakley Presciption lenses!
  • postierich
    Free Member

To much sorting in the morning and too much time in front of my laptop are causing issueswith my one good eye, so planning on getting my eyes tested on the high which companies deal with oakleys and any reccomendations.

Rich

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Funnily enough Rich, I was told earlier this week I needed glasses (I work in IT though – I’m meant to have specs). Vision Express have some good offers, made even better by the fact work are paying 50% of it. Just nippin into town now to pick up my prescription Oakleys for work and a pair of Ray Ban-esque ‘Bench’ sunglasses for driving…

mefty
    Free Member

You do realise Oakley sponsored Lance Armstrong – how can you contemplate wearing them – beggars belief.

zilog6128

Good luck finding a Vision Express offer that includes Oakleys! The best I could squeeze out of them was 10% using the “Advantage Gold” card I bought with my previous pair of glasses. They will give you a free eye test though if you spend enough (Oakleys will easily cover it 🙂 ) I think they are the only big chain shop that does them although where I live there is also an independent optician who does Oakleys. A few online places offer discounts compared to the High Street, but not massive.

druidh
    Free Member

Optical Express often have some sort of £50 Off voucher doing the rounds. That’s what I’ve used twice.

Here’s a 10% Off in the meantime.. http://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/docs/Optical-Express_Eye-test-voucher.pdf

Houns

Be careful with vision express, they use their own lenses, not Oakley. I found this out when I got a pair of Rx twires.

An yes, if you buy a pair of Oakleys that are sunglasses, not Rx specific frames, you should get the sunglasses lens back too

Oh and iirc Oakley only paid for LA cancer treatment, they don’t pay anyone to wear their glasses

postierich
    Free Member

How much is an eye test these days?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Sitting here wearing Oakley Drill Bits from Vision Express. I bought them as a friend recommended the frames as being bombproof, and they have indeed laughed in the face of the ‘…grab daddy’s glasses…’ phase from my daughter. Aftercare from FE has been surprisingly good – beats the local guys I was with hands down. Defo not cheap, esp as I wanted uber-thin lenses (not Oakley, as noted above)….

druidh
    Free Member

Free in Scotland (every two years). I think it’s about £15 otherwise.

mefty
    Free Member

they don’t pay anyone to wear their glasses

You are kidding, aren’t you? I was in my post.

zilog6128

Be careful with vision express, they use their own lenses, not Oakley. I found this out when I got a pair of Rx twires.

Is this true only for normal specs? They definitely gave me the impression that my Jawbones & prescription lenses were coming directly from Oakley? I understand you are the Oakley expert so if anyone knows it should be you!

An yes, if you buy a pair of Oakleys that are sunglasses, not Rx specific frames, you should get the sunglasses lens back too

Yep, and bugger all good they are to me! Hadn’t thought about it before but I suppose I should try to flog them on here!!

How much is an eye test these days?

Unless you go to an independent there should always be a free offer on if you look around the discount voucher sites/nectar/etc.

esp as I wanted uber-thin lenses

out of interest, was this for aesthetic reasons or do you get less distortion/fishbowl etc from them?

Houns

With iridium lenses etc they will be Oakley, but for just regular clear lenses they used their own

mefty
    Free Member

Oakley lenses aren’t as brilliant as their marketing suggests so I wouldn’t get that hung up on it.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Is this any use?

10% OFF Oakley Prescription Sunglasses

I’ve used Rx sport before and would give them a thumbs up

grum
    Free Member

Any reason not to just wear contacts and normal shades? I’ve been considering this recently as my eyesight isn’t great.

I’ve calculated that if I improve my vision I’ll be able to shred 28% more gnar on the average ride.

crankslave

I usually get a test done on the high street, Vision Express most recently and then buy Oakley frames with clear lenses via Iris Optical
    ww.irisoptical.co.uk

Just got some Crosslinks which are good for riding to and from work as well as normal use, with Iris’s own lenses it was £165 all in.

If have to have Oakley lenses for general non riding use shop around online is my advice.

Oh and if you d intend to buy elsewhere, make sure you get your pupil measurement – VE say they can’t give this out because of liability issues which is probably b*llocks and just a way of making it difficult shopping elsewhere for specs.

druidh
    Free Member

I tried that first. I found that any wind around the lens hitting my eye made them water and the contact would flush out. It might work OK with something like a Windjacket, or if you have less sensitive eyes than mine.

dasnut
    Free Member

Pupillary distance is not rocket science link

bristolbiker
    Free Member

out of interest, was this for aesthetic reasons or do you get less distortion/fishbowl etc from them?

Yeah – one eye needs a more powerful lens, so it’s a combination of aethetics/weight/’because I can’. The thinner you want, the more distortion is introduced at the edges of the compound ultra-thin lenses, so you pay more for thinness and even more to reduce the distortion at the edges. I have the Oakley’s with ‘very-thin-but-moderate-distortion’ for wearing at home with the kids and keep a pair of rimless with ‘very-thin-minimum-distortion’ lenses at work – both came out at about the same please-can-I-have-a-little-sit-down price overall.

VE say they can’t give this out because of liability issues which is probably b*llocks and just a way of making it difficult shopping elsewhere for specs.

That’s bobbins – they’ve always been happy to give me a full prescription summary whenever asked.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Getting old my eyes are failing any deals on Oakley Presciption lenses!’ is closed to new replies.