Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Getting oily drivetrain gunk of carpet.
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Any ideas appreciated guys.Made a bit of a mess trying to clean my GT in the flat.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A rug 🙂

Failing that some washing up liquid (small amount) after that a carpet cleaner might do it.

After that a rug.

discoduck
    Free Member

Auto Glym tar remover,
    That stuff will shift it ! Let me know how you get on ?

mushrooms
    Free Member

TF2 or GT85 is good then some soap.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Don’t worry mike,a rug or runner was my first idea.Trouble is the stains are near a door and may catch on opening.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Vanish power foam – big pink aerosol of the stuff – its some kind of voodoo magic – not yet had anything that it wont shift….

amplebrew

WD40 is worth a go.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

GT85 always works for me.

kayak23

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8CTscW3dpI[/video]

toys19
    Free Member

Anything with limonene in it works really really well.

frogstomp

Neat Fairy Liquid (other brands are available) did the job on an oily chainring mark on my stairs that had been there for months – put a decent amount on, work it in and then rinse it off a few times (wash-vac good for the last step).

Cheezpleez

If all else fails and you’re really bothered, get a professional carpet cleaner in. I have a mate who does it and the results are impressive.

krixmeister

Hairspray. I think the alcohol in it is what helps, although not sure. In any case, and old shop trick – whenever I get oil on clothes, just shoot some hairspray on it and chuck it in the laundry, usually works.

wwaswas

placing a loved ones favourite garment within about 5 feet of anything oily is normally enough to ensure full transfer, ime.

globalti
    Free Member

You need to dissolve the greasy stain first with something like paraffin or Swarfega. Actualy Swarfega is a better idea because it won’t soak into the carpet like paraffin and it’s water soluble. Then wash and dry, wash and dry until it’s all removed from the pile.

shortcut

FinishLine citrus degreaser I found to be ace.

andyl
    Free Member

IPA and then draw it up with some kitchen roll.

Avoid anything with solvents that might affect the colour of the carpet.

(test anything you use on a small bit somewhere)

mattbiltong
    Free Member

Copious amounts of brake/clutch cleaner and a good scrub worked for me in the past, basically pure alcohol so evaporates without a trace.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Baby wipes

boblo
    Free Member

off….

English 101.

Speshpaul

“IPA and then draw it up with some kitchen roll.2

Greene King?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I bought some carpet cleaner from Home Bargains for about £3 a while ago, only just started using it and it gets rid of dirt like it was never there.

allyharp

Rub your calf up against it? Seems to be a magnet for it whenever I’ve over-lubed my chain.

ThePinkster

Just remember – you’ll probably need to clean the rest of the carpet afterwards otherwise they’ll be one patch much cleaner than the rest so whatever you use buy plenty of it. 😉

allmountainventure
    Free Member

White wine vinegar?

Does just about everything so worth a shot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Getting oily drivetrain gunk of carpet.’ is closed to new replies.