Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Getting my value
  • Stu_N

So, I got to the point I was running the drivetrain on my hardtail into the ground.

The chain finally went last week so I changed everything. This was the chainring (old one is on the right):

Had to hammer a screwdriver into the cassette to hold it as a chainwhip just slid over the teeth of the cassette.

I guess I got an extra 1,000 miles out of everything once the chain went past 1.0 on the park guide. Let’s hope the Big Ring and granny are OK- they looked fine, but so did the cassette….

br
    Free Member

Yes, but you’ve replaced it with a Shimano ring, so you’ll need 2 more to cover the same miles a Middleburn would…

Stu_N

Aye, Shimano ring was kicking around the house. It’ll do me for time being; the CR7732 for old XT cranks seems to have been discontinued so need to review options.

I reckon that Middleburn ring has done about 10,000 miles and outlived a dozen chains and half a dozen cassettes. It slipped on a half-worn chain from another bike when I tried it about 9 months ago so went back to old fully worn chain until that snapped, which it did last week.

scotroutes

Thanks for making that clear 😉

Northwind

b r – Member

Yes, but you’ve replaced it with a Shimano ring, so you’ll need 2 more to cover the same miles a Middleburn would…

I guess this is literally a YMMV, my Middleburn hardcoat middle ring was shorter lived than my SLX one. Didn’t shift as well either even when brand new.

Yet to find out how long deore steel ones last. Til mountains crumble into the plain I suspect.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Getting my value’ is closed to new replies.