Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting movies onto your mobile – have you done this? (techy content)
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

I have a DVD which I have ripped to a single .VOB file using DVD Decrypt. This is great because all you get is the film and none of the ads, menus, trailers etc. This plays back in good resolution and includes 6.1 sound and the file size is 3.7Gb. Good for a home media library.

I tried compressing this to MP4 using a freebie converter called Videora. The aim is to playback the movie on my mobile, but the file size is coming up at 630Mb and the phone says the file is invalid, but I can download a perfectly watchable MP4 movie from BBC iPlayer which comes in at 154Mb.

Have you used and conversion s/w with selectable compression settings?

Any advice welcome!

IanMmmm
    Free Member

PC or Mac? If it's a Mac, you should try Handbrake.

brakes
    Free Member

I've used DVD Decrypt and Handbrake to get movies onto my iPhone
    it's not the most straightforward process

Spongebob
    Free Member

I use a Windows based PC.

GrahamS

I've used Videora plenty of times in the past to convert downloaded DivX movies (all legal of course) to watch on my iPhone.

mogrim

What phone? Nokia comes with a free video convertor, although I don't know if it supports VOB files.

tyger
    Free Member

Why would anyone want to watch a film on such a small screen?

billybob
    Free Member

Why would anyone want to watch a film on such a small screen?

Possibly if you are travelling on a train or plane for several hours it's sometimes a bit tricky to set up your 42" LCD screen with blu-ray & 7.1 sound…

Flaperon

Handbrake works fine with my Nexus One (aka HTC Desire variant).

Mr_C
    Free Member

Handbrake also comes in PC flavour.

There is a useful guide here which tells you how to rip DVDs to a Samsung Galaxy, but this will work for most other mobiles with some changes to the resolution.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Try using format factory, Works well for me.

The-Trail-Builder
    Free Member

I got Follow Me on my iphone… Cant stop watching it !! I love it 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice!

My phone is a nokia 5800 and I have used it to watch BBC content through the fully featured BBC iPlayer app which lets you download and watch up to 7 days after.

The 3.2" screen is adequate for watching content and kills the boredom of train and plane journeys.

I also used the phone for this when I went camping in the Lakes.

I regard this facility as a top feature.

I didn't realize Nokia supplied free conversion s/w. I'll have to look that up.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

trail builder, where did you get follow me, and how on your i phone?

mogrim

I didn't realize Nokia supplied free conversion s/w. I'll have to look that up.

It's part of the PC suite, it's not the most reliable of software but when it works it does at least optimise the films for the 5800's screen.

TenMen
    Free Member

I've got a 5800, and I use FormatFactory as mentioned above. It's got settings for each make/brand of mobile phone you want to convert to, including the 5800, and it works perfectly for me.

ads-b
    Free Member

Sorry to drag an old thread up, but trawling through various other sources I just got confused and STW seems to be on my level of technical sophistication (i.e. limited).

How do you take all the variuos VOB files from a DVD and create an MP4 to work on my HTC Desire. I tried converting one via a trial version of a converter but it only converted the trailer and stalled at the others. Also would I not just end up with loads of MP4 files? How do i get lots of VOB files to one MP4 files?

Adam

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting movies onto your mobile – have you done this? (techy content)’ is closed to new replies.