Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Getting kids into climbing
  • aracer
    Free Member

Seconding doesn’t seem unreasonable – it was the belaying I was wondering about (my oldest has done quite a bit of top rope belaying at climbing club, but I still wouldn’t trust him to belay me on his own, let alone lead belaying!) I’ve not had another climber with me when I’ve taken my kids, so I’ve set up top rope belays for them.

We were supposed to be going to the indoor wall tonight, but oldest had the optician and I’ve got the lurgy – for the same reason as fanatic it will be a dash straight from school as it’s cheaper before 4 (I’ve not taken them to the new wall I climb at yet, though they’ve both been with cubs).

slowoldman

When I learnt to climb, I was instructed on how to create a harness out of about 3 (I think) metres of webbing.

That was a standard routine for abseiling before the days of sit harnesses. I remember it well because I did my first climbing tying a hawser laid rope around my waist before graduating to a Whillans. I wouldn’t use a tape harness for actual climbing though.

Cougar

I had a quick go on the bouldering wall and loved it too.

One Of Us, One Of Us…!

Just got back from the wall with daughter #2. She loved it! The heights started off being an issue, but after three attempts she got to the top and never looked back. Turned into a red sweaty mess in no time.

Brilliant. (Told you so…!)

Turned up with a few minutes to spare to get in off-peak. It’s a real dash to get there in time. Anyway, it knocked a whole £2 off the price. So now £8 per visit. Taking my 6 year old boy next week….

I think I see your problem. Have you tried having fewer children? (-:

In honesty, I’d suggest talking to the wall. Well, y’know, the staff there, not the wall itself. You’ve got three kids who are all keen to climb regularly, you’re thinking of starting yourself even, but it’s prohibitively expensive so can we negotiate a family discount or something? Maybe just waive the hire costs even, you’re planning on stocking up on gear at Christmas. After all, it’d be a shame if you all had to stop giving them money week in week out for the next several years.

Cougar

Where are you geographically, incidentally? Which wall are you attending? (Apologies if you’ve already said.)

fanatic278
    Free Member

Where are you geographically, incidentally? Which wall are you attending? (Apologies if you’ve already said.)

Aberdeenshire. The two indoor options are RGU (university) or Transition Extreme (£8 plus kit hire). However, the in-laws live in Aberlour (1.5hr away) and there’s a council run climbing wall that only costs £2.20! Another brilliant example of us Aberdonians having to pay a premium over the rest of Scotland.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not poor. Happy to pay for sport activities. Just have to be sensible when you also factor in all the other activities they do (guides/beavers/brownies/swimming/trampolining….)

Off to the in-laws today so will check out the wall there.

I think I see your problem. Have you tried having fewer children? (-:

If it was up to my wife we’d have more 🙂 Three is a nice number though.

aracer
    Free Member

To be fair, £8 is a fairly normal price for a commercial climbing wall, which they almost all are. I’m not aware of any council run ones anywhere down this way.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Kit = Decathlon.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Transition extreme has £5 admission on Fridays from 6pm-10pm

Cougar

Aberdeenshire

Ah, a bit off the beaten track for me then I’m afraid!

thepodge
    Free Member

Another boulderer here, just wait till you hook onto an auto belay and think oh this is easy then look down and you realise you’re 10 times higher then you are normally.

My 3 year old loves or hates bouldering depending on the phase of the moon.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Getting kids into climbing’ is closed to new replies.