Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Getting chilly – anyone lit the stove yet?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Wife and kids informed me last night that I should light the stove – I replied that it was never going to happen during September and they skulked off.
    It did get me thinking though – the heating isn’t on yet but it’s getting noticeably cooler at night. I think I’d rather light the stove than start burning oil – but oil can be replaced and, although I’ve more wood than ever, it is a finite amount.
    Anyone given in yet?

Houns

Still sleeping with window in bedroom open, so no, no chance

geoffj

Thinking about it – but the wood stores are all full to capacity, it would make them look untidy if I started using stuff out of them 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Edit: The thermostat said it was 18 degs so I’m holding out until it hits 16 😈

Mintman
    Free Member

Yeah gave in last night for the first time this year. We could’ve just put jumpers on but we’d been away all weekend so it warmed the lounge/house quite quickly which was nice.

Mildly disappointed that we didn’t make it to October though…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Not quite, but soon I think – all that wood isn’t going to burn itself I guess! 😉

It’s not so much lighting up itself I look forward, it’s that it signals its nearly time to get down the woods and start felling trees again… and so the cycle continues….

footflaps

We gave in Sunday night after returning from two weeks in Southern Italy, but I intend to try and hold out now till at least October.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m heading to a ceilidh in the Cairngorms this weekend.

Had a quick look at the forecast to see whether to take my summer or winter bag. Lows of -1. I absolutely bloody love winter so this is exceptionally good news 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Chilly ? Where ? Not here . Was out in garage till 10 last night in shorts and tee

And thats me back from 13 weeks in 30-40 degrees.

How ever i did fill the oil tank and order a few loads of wood from the stw approved ( hes a member) wood supplier in the village

kcal

first lit last week!
    cooler and blowy today, might need on again tonight.

last night was much milder, dropped a fair few degrees (or wind has changed)
    thankfully stocked up on some timber supplies last night, couple of hours shifting chopped trees worked up a good heat..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Chester! It may not be that chilly (I’m still in shorts) but I’m in a house with 4 women so my odds of making it to October are not looking good.

carlphillips
    Free Member

hell no!
    not until oct at the earliest…as houns said the windows are still all open so no chance yet…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Hoping to make october TBH. Suspect my OH might have other ideas though.

Have yet to order in the final lot of wood for winter yet (I know, we’re late, etc, but our guy delivers seasoned logs).

frogstomp

Down to 4 degrees overnight earlier in the week.. not clicked the heating in yet but first log fire of the season to take the chill off.

warton
    Free Member

No.

That reminds me, must get the stove actually installed. It’s been sitting in the hearth for a year now….

khani
    Free Member

Put it on the for the first time this year the other night, shouldn’t have bothered really as after a couple of hours it was sweltering.
    Not time yet…

mangatank
    Free Member

Had a radiator on intermittently since last week, and it’s on now for the first time during the day.

As ever, it’s warmer outside that indoors. How?!

Coyote
    Free Member

although I’ve more wood than ever

*snigger*

Andy-R

I’ve had the fire lit a couple of times in the last week and probably will tonight too.
    After that, I’m off to Greece until the first week in November – I’ll probably have the stove lit there towards the end of October but when we get back here it’ll feel as if we’ve been dropped straight into winter.

Lovely 🙄

speshspenner
    Free Member

No. But I think MrsSs has been clicking the heating on whilst I’m on nights 😈 ,3 females in my house so I’m fighting a loosing battle!

rocketman
    Free Member

Still in shorts and tee shirt at Chez Rocket

Its not October yet

Houns

As usual I have to post this

[video]http://youtu.be/fLNkTUPaooo[/video]

Houns

😡

br
    Free Member

Yep, last day of August as it had dropped into single-figures early evening here.

On this Sunday morning there was a ground frost.

And who cares what the calendar says, it’s the temp that matters.

cinnamon_girl

No chance but will admit to wearing bed socks. 😳

😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

Phwoar 🙂

stoddys
    Free Member

32 today, 20 at night, got up this morning to go and clean pool at 6am it was 22 and it felt a bit chilly.
    Think I will leave it a wile longer tho.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The car reckoned it was 9 degrees last night and I’d bought a new maul. Like hell was I not going to light the fire.

freddyg
    Free Member

Slightly off topic..

Having recently moved into a rented property with a wood burning stove, I have yet to purchase any real quantity of logs – a bag of kiln-dried logs from Booths is waiting to be opened when necessary.

This thread prompted me into looking for rough prices on-line; the prices seem to vary quite significantly.

Therefore, in your experience, what should I expect to pay for 1 cubic metre of kiln dried hardwood logs?

trail_rat
    Free Member

50-60 quid round here for naturally dried.

Seems to shoot up to about 90 for kiln dried.

Never seen the need as youll store it out in the air where it will absorb some moisture back in

br
    Free Member

Therefore, in your experience, what should I expect to pay for 1 cubic metre of kiln dried hardwood logs? [/i]

It depends…

We use these guys:

http://www.realfirewood.co.uk/

Not the cheapest by a long way, but very, very dry plus we’ve a large dry garage that we can store a full load in. We actually buy the bags on a pallet, easy to handle and a couple of nights in a bag.

We’re balancing the price against needing the flue swept too less often too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

More wood than ever and the bedroom window is still open but its is a bit chilly in the evenings. Told the wife that she can have a fire come half term. She and the cat will be out after wood tomorrow I reckon. Actually I miss the fire and the burner.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it a vacumn garage ? Still has air in

Also balancing it out against the flue needing swept less.

Foolish at best. If your burning right you shouldnt get much soot/tar out anyway rarely get more than a couple of cups full of soot out the chinney – and we have had coal and wood fires since i was yay high. gets swept once a year regardless of that fact as due dilligence to make sure there are no nests or other nastys that could cause chinney fires. I have no fear of chinney fires from tar or soot.

People who close their fires in to look at the glowing embers all the time and save fuel are at danger of this though.

granny_ring

Mutterings are being made that it’s ‘freezing’ outside now…..choosing to ignore them for now.
    The better half has found her fleece. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The sitting room stove is on every night, it’s getting near the time to start lighting the one in the lobby.

A Swiss visitor to the garden suggested that wood stored for more than five years is no good for burning. I’m not sure how much truth there is in that but if he’s right I’m screwed.

cinnamon_girl

Just wondering whether there are any sparkly new designs for Onesies? Or even cosy new fabrics?

I really must stop exercising self-restraint. 😀

cinnamon_girl

£12 at Asda and there’s even a camo one. 8)

bruneep

trail_rat – Member
    Is it a vacumn garage ? Still has air in

Also balancing it out against the flue needing swept less.

Foolish at best. If your burning right you shouldnt get much soot/tar out anyway rarely get more than a couple of cups full of soot out the chinney – and we have had coal and wood fires since i was yay high. gets swept once a year regardless of that fact as due dilligence to make sure there are no nests or other nastys that could cause chinney fires. I have no fear of chinney fires from tar or soot.

People who close their fires in to look at the glowing embers all the time and save fuel are at danger of this though.

Just fear of the man who would extinguish said fire 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

My house isnt that tall and doesnt have many doors.;) so wont need the height appliance + door closer of the year 2013

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve given in….. we were in the Peaks over the weekend and came back Sunday afternoon to pouring rain and 12 degs. Nothing for it but to light the stove which was a thing of beauty but I fear it will now be lit every night unless something major happens to the weather.
    Heating is still off though 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Getting chilly – anyone lit the stove yet?’ is closed to new replies.