Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Getting Canadian dollars? Here or there?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Off to Whistler in a week and need some CAD. Is it cheaper to get it here or just get the cash out/pay by card there?
    Looking at $1000 if that makes a difference..
    Thanks 🙂

tomhoward

I got cash out when I was there, ($400 at a time) more for convenience than anything else, the rate was comparable. though some places can charge your card in GBP, avoiding any non sterling charges from your bank.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’d get a few dollars here, like 50-60, to cover buying things like a drink at the airport when arrive, tips for drivers that sort of thing but other than that pretty much what tom said.

thenorthwind

some places can charge your card in GBP, avoiding any non sterling charges from your bank.

Do NOT do that. You don’t get “charged” but you get an appalling exchange rate.

Correct answer is to get a card with no overseas spending/withdrawal fees (e.g. Halifax Clarity) but probably too late now (sorry! But get one now for your next trip).

dogmatix

+1 for halifax clarity…. just make sure you pay it off straight away.

tomhoward

It showed me the rate on the machine, rate was cheaper than the 2.75%+£1.25 the bank charge.

Was only in one shop, admittedly.

rosscore
    Free Member

I’m reliably informed the Post office give reasonable exchange rates, don’t do it at the airport or via your bank, I know shipping money that Transferwise site is good, but getting actual cash I shall be watching this thread with interest since I normally get my arm ripped off at the airport.

stevied
    Free Member

e.g. Halifax Clarity

Fly in 8 days, card will be delivered ‘in less than 7’…will try and get one.
    Mastercard rate looks much better than PO etc (1.72 vs 1.66)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Getting Canadian dollars? Here or there?’ is closed to new replies.