Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Getting bikes to the Alps?
  • Taz

Is anyone aware of any companies that take bikes over to the Alps?

I want to take 3 bikes with me for an extended trip next summer (Road bike, DH bike & Trail Bike) and obviously the airlines won’t let me take 3 bikes.

I could ship via DHL or similar or I could simply hire the lesser used bikes when out there. Both are pretty expensive options though and I would much prefer to have my own bikes out there

Driving down is not really an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Taz

Anyone on the evening shift able to help 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Driving definitely not an option? Always very handy to have a vehicle out there (and a big pile of spares), especially if you are going self catering?

mart
    Free Member

Don’t rule out taking 3 bikes on a plane. I used to work for a guiding company and we regularly travelled with 3,4, 5, sometimes more bikes each. It’s possible, but make all the arrangements for both flights beforehand and keep copies of everything.

Taz

Driving is not an option unfortunately unless I get a long term hire car (which I guess may not be totally ruled out)

Mart – really? I guess it would mean contacting the airline in advance as not an option on the internet

titusrider
    Free Member

Taz your not giving us too much to work with coz uve pretty much ruled out every option except a mythical winged beast 🙂

Taz

Sorry Titus rider 😳

Taz

Too fast.

I guess my question is – Are there any companies that take bikes from the UK to the Alps as part of maybe an overall package deal. I would not want the package but may see if they sell that bike transfer as a standalone service

titusrider
    Free Member

😛

mart
    Free Member

Sure Taz, just do some homework on the operators that fly to the destination you want. For the Alps, I’d start with Easyjet to Geneva. Ring their customer services and tell them what you want to do. There are others of course. Then you have to get them to the airport, and get picked up at the other end. There are two transfer companies I know of (Magic Rides and Professional Transfers) who will take you and your bikes to anywhere in the Morzine/Les Gets area, and pick you up again when you go home. It’s a real shame you can’t drive down though, as all this is going to cost a packet and with a car you can have so many things you won’t be able to fly with. Spares, workstand, etc, etc, but if you can’t you can’t.

joolsburger
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

Buy a car and drive it there, have it while you are there – and then sell it when you get back?

Plus to cover costs, advertise for someone to share?

Or try a removal company that covers UK-Europe, see of they’ll add it on to a wagon?

And how much did the courier companies actually want out if interest?

Or Royal Mail?

Taz

OK some helpful ideas here – thanks. The buy, use then sell a car/van idea may have some merit and I will check out the airline rules.

As to costs. I started pricing this 2 years ago when I originally planned the trip. A broken collar bone stopped that plan but I do remember shipping being pretty expensive. Can’t recall the details TBH.

thomthumb
    Free Member

post them as a parcel?

Straightliner

Take your favourite with you by plane and get the less used bikes brought down with any Brits travelling to your resort, which should work out as a small donation towards fuel costs. Even if they’re not in the same resort, it might be possible to borrow/hire a car/van one day to go and collect it from some other location.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Getting bikes to the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.