Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Getting back onto the bike after fibula fracture
  • tyredbiker
    Free Member

After a stupid fall onto a pile of wood I found out I had a non-displaced spiral fracture to my fibula. Was in a cast from 6th july til the 26th and have been in a walker boot which I’ve been told can come off on thursday (although I’ve been walking without it round the house already).
    However the doctor isn’t seeing me until the end of the month, and even then they’ve all been very non-committal in saying what I can/can’t do (because I presume they are scared of getting sued). Anyone else been in a similar position? Any phsyio techniques recommended?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally, I generally ignore doctors on stuff like this and listen to my body. I’ve just had a cast off my broken able after 8 weeks and I was back riding 2 days later. Nothing serious, just a few miles on flat roads at a low pace. It’s easier than walking, put it that way. 🙂

FB-ATB

I snapped the end of my fibula off and the advice from physio was to use the elastic bands gradually building up resistance, once I was out of the cast and walking without crutches.

Once I could do more, I did a lot of swimming and turbo trainer work.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Mine’s at the end of my fibula too, so worried about using spds as my ankle doesn’t feel overly stable and clipping out might be a faff. Reckon i just need to MTFU and try out the gym/swimming/cycling etc and do what doesn’t hurt. Think its silly for the doctor to arrange appointment and physio two weeks after I start walking without the boot though!

FB-ATB

As I rode for 3 more days after breaking mine, drove home from Morzine and was at work for a week before I went to the drs, I wasn’t overly concerned about following their instructions!

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Broke my tib and fib got the whole works internal plates and nail etc, took it easy for a while another fall is just not worth it. As others have said above listen to your body you will know when it feels ok and if you are tired or there is any pain stop.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Getting back onto the bike after fibula fracture’ is closed to new replies.