Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Getting back on a 26"
  • honourablegeorge

Just sat on my 26″ full suss, after the last few rides being on the 27+ HT. It just feels odd now, short and perched on top and just weird.

Anyone else find the same when swapping between wheelsizes?

I worry this is going to get bloody expensive.

nickc

just went the other way (26-27.5). doesn’t look a huge difference sat over there, but when I’m riding it…Look at the size of the wheel!!

kayla1
    Free Member

26″ feels mahoosive after pottering about on a BMX 😆

br
    Free Member

Just sat on my 26″ full suss, after the last few rides being on the 27+ HT. It just feels odd now, short and perched on top and just weird.

Anyone else find the same when swapping between wheelsizes?

What’s “short” and “perched” got to do with wheelsizes, that’s geometry and (frame) sizing.

Can’t say I can tell the difference between the two to be honest, but then my 26″ Enduro is a long bike and the 170mm Vengeance forks put the front wheel quite far forward

Northwind

I went to and fro with my 26er hardtail and 29er enduro bike and tbh the main thing was, the 26 inch front tyre looked ridiculous, looking down on it was always offputting when I swapped. But it still rode great.

Now my only 26er has 4.8 tyres on it so it doesn’t have that problem.

phil40
    Free Member

I have gone the other way, just bought a 2011 Orange 5 so it is 26″ or nothing for me! No idea if it is ‘poppy’ or ‘brings the trail alive’ but parts are fairly cheap, and second hand wheels are cheap as chips 😀

BadlyWiredDog

I found myself looking at a 26″ 2.5 Minion DHF and thinking how narrow and suspect it looks in terms of grip… so yes, I hear you.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I love getting back on my 26″ chameleon. It feels so fast and nimble. I never get on the 27.5″ and notice the benefit of the bigger wheels but I always notice how fun the 26’s are. It’s down to the bike as well though.

honourablegeorge

b r – Member

What’s “short” and “perched” got to do with wheelsizes, that’s geometry and (frame) sizing

Geo of the two bikes us near the same… same bar width, reach, saddle height… HA much the same (65 vs 64, but the 64 is HT) etc. I think a lot of it is the BB drop… being below the BB. Skinny tyres part of it too.

Mostly just perception I guess… I loved the 26 bike two weeks ago

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I took my 26″ 120mm HT (Decade Virtue) out for the first time in over a year last weekend. Not ridden it since I got my TR Scout.

It felt weird for about 10 minutes, then just as lovely as ever. I need to get the dropper fixed and use it more often. Its a good skills sharpener.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Well that will be me this weekend… only got the 26″ anthem to use as the 27.5 five is out of use with only one wheel..

But in all honesty getting back on the 26″ it feels so nibble and chuckable..I can throw it around like a little toy..wheelies just by thinking about it.. 6ft bunny hops.
    But I still can’t manage a manual…so I guess I’ve failed in life.
    it makes my five feel like a tank…!
    But on the other hand it feels like I could break the anthem easily now.

andyl
    Free Member

I just like all my bikes. One is a 26″ 150mm travel carbon hard tail, one is a more XC 29er hard tail which is being replaced by a slacker steel frame and big wide carbon rims and the other is a 160/140 travel 27.5. I like options!

The 29er just rolls over stuff and gives great confidence but I find it nice to get back on the 26″ and be a little bit scared but enjoy how nimble it is, feels like mountainbiking on a long slack BMX and is just the fun that riding bikes should be.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Ride all sizes quite regularly.

26er I rode today still feels awesome. 27.5 HT I rode a couple of days back is superb, but that’s geometry related I reckon. I don’t think the wheels roll any better than the 26″ bike’s.

My 29er HT I’m taking out tomorrow is also a hoot. The wheels on this one are noticeably smoother rolling.

But the main thing is they’re all fun and I’m lucky to be able to ride in some great places.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I love getting back on my 26″ chameleon. It feels so fast and nimble. I never get on the 27.5″ and notice the benefit of the bigger wheels but I always notice how fun the 26’s are. It’s down to the bike as well though

this for me with my morning glory. Some trails rock with the correct sized wheels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Getting back on a 26"’ is closed to new replies.