• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Getting back into snowboard – Scottish snow seasons?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Used to snowboard a lot approx 15-20 years ago, went to Cham and Les Arc quite a bit and every other weekend to Scotland (used to sneak onto Ski Rossendale a few nights of the week as well!)

My bike buddy and his son are having lessons and its kicked in the idea of getting another board&gear for this winter.

However one of the reasons I stopped was that the first 3 or 4 years we were riding were great with plenty of snow at Glenshee but then they started getting less till it wasnt worth going Scotland. Les Arc was a bit hit and miss towards the end as well.

So my question is – what have Scotland’s snow seasons been like over the last few years? I dont think its worth getting a board for just a few weeks a year in France, I’d want to have the Scottish roadtrips again.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

Past few years in Scotland have generally been pretty good, with a couple of exceptionally good years in there. Last year was a shocker though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

This last year wasn’t just bad, it was virtually non existent. I think the Coe opened about 5 days or something.

Before that the last few years have been good.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I live maybe an hour’s drive from glenshee and I haven’t been boarding since the 2015/2016 season. Last year was horrendous, I’m not convinced the preceding couple of years were all that either.

I’d definitely not be buying kit if I was relying on Scottish snow and had a fair drive to get to it.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

To get the most from Scotland, and to at least give you the chance to get some mileage in, regardless of the ski centres running, you really need to consider getting off piste. This would entail split board, or maybe considering snow shoes in addition to your board. (Don’t ask me which works best as I’m a skier.)

To keep safe you will need some mountaineering knowledge and a good understanding of snow conditions. The latter might seem a bit dry but the weird thing is, the more you look into it, the more interesting it becomes.

This will open up the opportunity of using any ribbon of snow, anywhere, anytime. Think early season, even ski fencing, or later runs down burn lines (terrain traps, but very exciting, especially in spring when holes start appearing ;)).

Have fun and stay safe.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I wouldn’t plan a trip in advance. Else you’re booking a holiday and turn up with no snow. Last minute, good conditions, go.

RustyNissanPrairie – Member 
    I dont think its worth getting a board for just a few weeks a year in France, I’d want to have the Scottish roadtrips again.

I’m not a boarder, but for skiing, it’s definitely worth buying your own even just for one trip a year. Rental stuff can be terrible. More so with boots though. That said, more reliable powder makes it more worth it. Hence I favour North American trips.

RustyNissanPrairie

The poor Scottish seasons as mentioned above are kinda putting me off, as much as I love the sport its not really worth buying all the gear for a week away a year, it was the Scottish roadtrips that were the icing(!) on the cake. Smashing down the Tiger run when conditions were good used to make it worthwhile.

The Sottish roadtrips were always last minute – check the weather, sleeping bag in the car and head up there (from Rossendale) but towards the end a decent forecast/report in the morning actually meant rocks and stones everywhere once you got there it was that changeable/poor.

Im guessing the awesome memories of ChamJam ’97 are going to probably remain just that!

balfa
    Free Member

To ski in Scotland you have to be the eternal optimist. If you wait for the perfect conditions you’ll never go. You got to take the ‘in it to win it approach’ on many days as often the weather or conditions are not as bad as you expect. On the otherside you have to learn the rough limit that lift served skiing becomes impossible due to wind. You need to get used to watching the weather on a daily basis through winter. When it comes together though it is fantastic and its something special to be able to ski locally.

I managed only 6 days last year with most of that touring. However the last few years have generally been good. Touring is definitely recommended to get the best out of the skiing in the Scottish hills. Some videos of mine from the last few years. The first was during last winter when there was ‘no snow’!

[video]http://vimeo.com/199736080[/video]

[video]http://vimeo.com/120181990[/video]

andykirk
    Free Member

As said above last year was crap, totally crap. The 6 years or so before that were great! I was up almost every weekend for months to Glenshee/ Glencoe. I don’t care if the weather conditions are good or poor, as long as there is snow it’s always a laugh with friends and it is always nice to just be in the mountains. I hope last year was a freak occurrence, although I believe it does happen every now and then. I have never been to Europe and had no snow, mind you we always ensure we go high up just to be safe.

NZCol

Last season every time I managed to wangle a day to go up the weather had gone warm, i had 2 days of alright conditions. Year before i had 10 epic days.

paulg22
    Free Member

I think England had a better snow season than Scotland last year…

geoffj

Last year was a shocker – I think I had 1 half day at Cairngorm last winter.
    This season is going to be orsum though 8)

Spin
    Free Member

To get the most from Scotland, and to at least give you the chance to get some mileage in, regardless of the ski centres running, you really need to consider getting off piste

This.

Piste skiing in Scotland is unreliable, busy and dull.

Touring in Scotland is only unreliable!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Getting back into snowboard – Scottish snow seasons?’ is closed to new replies.