Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Getting around in Amsterdam, advice please :)
  • stayhigh

Morning all,

I’m trying to organise a suprise birthday trip to Amsterdam for the Pleinvrees Festival at Park Twiske in a couple of weeks time (1/9 to 4/9).

The idea is we land Friday evening, go to festival on Saturday, have Sunday to explore the city and then fly home again on monday.

Park Twiske is just up from Amsterdam Nord so I figure staying closer to there is good as it finishes late Saturday night so it will be easier to get back again afterwards, probably with a cab. We can use the trams/buses to get around for the rest of the weekend and will only have cabin bags for luggage.

So how easy is Amsterdam to get around with public transport?

DrJ

Incredibly easy – apart from the various rail networks there is a metro and a comprehensive tram system.

stayhigh

That’s good to know, can you get a travel card type thing for a few days?

Also do they run through the night at all as it could work out cheaper than a cab for the Saturday night.

cranberry
    Free Member

Just get a 3 day ticket and hop on-off public transport as required:

https://www.ns.nl/producten/en/alleen-te-koop-via-station-of-kaartautomaat/p/amsterdam-travel-ticket

Download 9292 to your phone for journey planning and times:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.negentwee&hl=en

stayhigh

Now dare I say it but that bus pass looks just the ticket 😛

Seems all I need to do now is organise flights and somewhere to stay that doesn’t cost £300 for the weekend 😯

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its pretty easy to walk around amsterdam!

DrJ

No use to you but I will mention for future reference that the CitizenM hotel at the airport is cheap(ish) and convenient (for the airport obvs)

stayhigh

I’m sure it is but I imagine going back and forth to the airport and the hotel then the hotel and the festival maybe a bit of a trek 😀

DrJ

I’m sure – it wasn’t a suggestion for you right now, but maybe for other readers. Or for you at a later date 🙂

rs
    Free Member

They have uber too.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Don’t drink and drive….

ossify

Amsterdam? Is no one going to suggest a bicycle?

Luggage no problem – I’m sure you can hire a bakfiets from somewhere 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

I tend to pick a coffee shop and astral-project myself around the city for a couple of days

dan129
    Free Member

Stayed there recently and got on great with the trams you can get tickets valid for 1hour up to 3days just flash them against the meter when you get on!

We stayed a short tram hop from Dam Square at the tulip inn west in Slotervidjik was a quiet clean hotel and a good breakfast.

plyphon
    Free Member

Download the CityMapper app and just follow what it tells you to do

thomthumb
    Free Member

back and forth to the airport

even the taxi driver told us to get a train.

it’s really easy bikes/ trains/ trams.

+1 on the app
    +1 on bike hire.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Getting around in Amsterdam, advice please :)’ is closed to new replies.