Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • getting an iphone fixed; reccomendations?
  • v8ninety

Hi there. M’lovely wife accidently dropped her 3GS on the tiled kitchen floor yesterday, resulting in a very shattered glass screen. We don’t have insurance on the phone, (too pricey; over the length of the contract paying out more than the cost of a new phone seems daft).

A quick google reveals a host of firms offering to replace the glass for around the £35-40 mark which seems reasonable. Has anyone used one of these firms? would they recommend it? i doubt they use OEM parts, but not a problem if the quality is right. Any experience out there?

Cheers in advance,

Chris

v8ninety

Anybody?

BoardinBob

Only concern would be voiding the warranty as the work was done by a 3rd party.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The front glass and digitiser are about £20 from Amazon, takes about an hour to remove and replace. Did it on a friends one not too long ago, just be slow and methodical and you’ll be fine. Just be careful when reconnecting the ribbon cables, as they are fiddly!
    Lots of vids on youtube showing what to do. Just make sure you get the right glass for a 3GS.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh and all the tools are usually included as well.

mieszko
    Free Member

I would not bother with replacing the glass and digitalizer only, especially not at £20. They go for about £6-9 on eBay. After watching vids on Youtube it takes ages and it looks like a massive faff.

Instead save yourself some time, get a full replacement screen assembly (lcd+glass+digitlizer all built and ready to be connected) off eBay for £30. It takes less than 5 minutes to swap it over. Just buy from a good seller who will offer warranty as backlight on the one I bough did not work but sorted it out with the seller and got a replacement.

Compare vids on Youtube of iPhone LCD screen replacement vs digitalizer replacement.

cb

I’ve heard of plenty of folk taking iPhones back to apple shops and having them replaced foc, even outside of warranty period. Seems to be plenty of goodwill around when it comes to iphones

cb

Edit: screens that is

Cougar

+1 for asking Apple.

Mate of mine had his done by a third party recently and raved about the service; let me know if you don’t get anywhere and I’ll ask him who he used.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘getting an iphone fixed; reccomendations?’ is closed to new replies.