• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Getting an extension/building work done…the process if you may…
  • DrP

So the place we’ve bought needs a bit of building/extending etc etc..
    Despite not having done this before, and I’ll not be doing the work myself, I like to get an ‘understanding’ of what’s involved..
    I’ve picked up this book:

Just to understand planning laws etc, but I’m still not 100% clear of the actual steps involved!

It seems to be:
    Get house
    Think of what work you want done
    Get architect/designer in to see if it’s possible
    Get builders to quote on that work – choose builder here
    Get planning permission if needed
    Start work…

Is this right?

If, say, I needed a garage rebuilt, would I need a designer for that?
    Or can I start to get builder quotes in straight away for stuff like that?

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

First off, you want to ring:

DrP

It’s not going to be ‘that grand’….

DrP

IA

Not 100% on the exact order, but I can offer this useful advice. Phone up your local council planning dept. and have an (informal) chat with them about your plans. IME they’re very helpful and will let you know what needs to be done when and by whom etc. They’ll be able to advise if you need planning permission or building regs checks (two different things!) on whatever you want to do.

E.g. some stuff you can get them out to inspect, but if someone appropriate does it they can self certify whatever it is. E.g. a FENSA member doing windows.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You only need planning permission if there is a significant change of size, style or use. Permitted development allows you to make changes up to a certain size, it’s good to know the basic rules as an extra few centimetres can make a big difference.

The Planning Portal website homepage has a guide that shows what is allowed.

Anything affecting boundaries, available light, neighbouring structures and party walls have added restrictions. An architect will be able to help with all of this but is only really necessary if you are making a statement, want to use new technology, have a restricted space or other complications.

If you are replacing existing, without changes, then you don’t need permission but it still needs to be built to the current building regulations. A good builder will know how to achieve this without needing the specifications laid out for them.

Or you could just call Kev, I wouldn’t.

freeagent
    Free Member

We did a large extension + Dorma loft conversion on our bungalow last summer, the process was a bit more like –

1. Lots of research into what we wanted/what we could get away with
    2. ‘interview’ a couple of architects to get their ideas.
    3. Appoint Architect
    4. Architect produces ‘planning’ drawings and submits to council,
    other approvals sought as required. (Thames water in our case)
    We needed a certificate of lawfulness for our works.
    Speak to neighbours – sort out party wall agreements as required.
    5. Once all approvals are in place, Architect produces construction drawings. (inc review by structural Engineer as required)
    6. Construction drawings submitted to building control (we used a contractor, rather than council)
    7. You can now get your shortlisted builders to quote from the detailed/approved construction drawings, which means they are all working from the same info. (we also wrote a job spec, which detailed all extra info not on drawings)
    8. appoint builder/main contractor.

fionap

Get house
    Start work…

Is this right?

Roughly right. It’s not an entirely linear process.
    I’d say:
    – get house
    – live in house for a bit to work out what you need – might well be different to your first impressions
    – if it’s a replacement garage/porch etc, go straight to builders for quotes etc. Most garages can be built under your ‘permitted rights’, but check on http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/. (also check that the permitted rights have not been restricted by any previous work on the house – search on your local council’s planning site for any previous applications.)

– If it’s an extension, have an initial chat with an architect etc to find out if it’s feasible or if they have any better suggestions. They will be able to confirm if you need planning permission (again have a look at the link above).
    – Appoint architect etc to draw up plans for submission to LPA for planning permission if required / or for builders to quote from if it falls under ‘permitted development’ (a lot of builders will want measured drawings and basic specs before they will quote)
    – Choose whether to go down ‘full plans’ or ‘building notice’ route for Building Regulations approval – one is done in advance, one is checked as you go along – generally not much difference in price, so it typically comes down to the size of the job (larger to be done in advance for lower risk).
    – Appoint structural engineer to do calculations as required for building control.
    – Appoint building control inspector – you’ve got a choice of Local Authority or Independent Approved Inspectors, in my experience the latter are cheaper and more flexible.
    – Get quotes from builders either from planning drawings (probably not enough detail for a larger project) or from BR/construction drawings.
    – Appoint builder
    – Live through a bit of mess for a while
    – Get it signed off by building control
    – Move in
    – Have a cup of tea.

You can also get Quantity Surveyors involved if you want really detailed costings. I’ve got a £220k extension on site in Devon where the client wanted fixed price detailed quotes from the bidding contractors, so he appointed a QS to cost up the scheme before hand so he had something to compare against. Depending on the scale of the job, you can also get stuck in to what choice of contract etc – architect should be able to advise on this if required.

johndoh
    Free Member

And when you are considering your plans, speak to a good architect to advise on best ‘investment’ in the work – for example, if you are building additional living space, would you be best to allow for a downstairs loo and two small extra rooms rather than one large room, would you be best having open plan or not etc. so when you come to sell you get the best return.

footflaps

No, a single storey garage would be very straight forward for a builder. You would need Building Control involved though.

Yes.

DrP

The Haynes book/housebuilding.co.uk has been really useful as I’m much clearer about teh difference between planning apps, and building control, and PDs etc.

I THINK my plans should all fall under PDs, but of course will double check this.

Thanks for the ‘order lists’ above- something useful to go with.

We’ll have the place, but it’ll be empty of a few months, so want to get things done as quick as possible, and not drag it out too long…

DrP

TimP
    Free Member

Dont forget to get the asbestos checked out 😉

DrP

meh… abestos smashbestos…

DrP

footflaps

I THINK my plans should all fall under PDs, but of course will double check this.

If you do need Planning, worth asking them how long it will take. Our local planning department has had a lot of staff cuts (thanks to the Osbourne) so works on a ‘only process an application if you phone us up every day and hassle us’ basis. My workshop took over a year until I figured out how they worked, then it all happened in 2 weeks after about 20 phone calls….

rene59
    Free Member

Get house that suits you without needing any work done.
    Start work…

Is this right?

It is now!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

We initially got a couple of architects in, first one said the size of extension we wanted wouldn’t be allowed, 120% of original building, second one said gables would be a no no. Got the plans drawn up with what we wanted, went straight through planning no problems.
    After that i pretty much did everything myself, had a couple of brickies in to help as although i can lay bricks to a good standard, speed was an issue.
    The total floor area added was 1450sq ft at a cost of £70000.
    It was tough at times, because of restricted access there was a lot of hand balling.

First pic is me and my dad digging foundations, i thought it was never going to stop raining.

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-QnpwaXNeTIE/UrMKhSzCLnI/AAAAAAAAGRg/Vmi5zWqud7Q/w769-h577-no/scaffold%2B008.jpg[/img]

Doh1Nut

I am sure that you have found the two year extension of the PD distances. Single storey extensions 3m=>6m for attached. 4m=>8m for detached.
    Assuming that you are not in special area etc. The two storey lengths are unchanged.

Some councils (like Guildford) have a formalized chargeable process for the quick informal chat.
    Guildford’s website for planning is very good and you can find out what properties have planning – when they were approved etc.
    The only thing they dont do well (unlike Spelthorne) is clearly show the “we like this – we dont like that” photos which could save you a bunch of time.

Although bloke in our office had to take Guildford to appeal (and won with all costs) for them not following their own rules and guidlines.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just to add, i am not a builder, i was a jeweller/model maker for 25 years. If you can read and use a tape measure, there is no reason why pretty much anyone can’t build an extension.

DrP

If you can read and use a tape measure, and have the time, there is no reason why pretty much anyone can’t build an extension…>

🙂

DrP

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Getting an extension/building work done…the process if you may…’ is closed to new replies.