• This topic has 50 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Getting a tennant out following notice period…
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

the lettings agent is not responsible for getting the tenant out, by the way – whether you have a case against them to do with references etc. is another thing, but they will only be able to advise you – the legal advice and the way you proceed is down to you.

but as has been said numerous times in different ways, the only way you'll get legal possession back by the book is by getting a legal expert to serve the correct notice and get an eviction hearing, so the sooner you do it the better (the date on which this can take effect is governed by the payment dates of the tenancy). so get on it!

this: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/Legal/Residential/Tenancies/ending-assured-shorthold-tenancy.htm
    may prove useful reading, to give you an idea of the position.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Flatboy has it about right in his last post. but you don't need a legal expert to serve notice for you. its quite easy to serve notice yourself, as long as you follow the correct legal procedure.

Easier to try agreeing with your tenant to move out. if he has somewhere to go, he is more likely to move out. This is easier than going to court, and a lot less stressful

hora
    Free Member

Jeesus. All the best OP 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

are you in Reading, your welcome to give him my old landlords number, he's a twunt of the highest order and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to hear he's been bancrupted by some squatters taking over his house 🙂

motoscopix
    Free Member

I don't know what kind of arrangement you have with your letting agent but I rent my house out through one who uses a third party who vet prospective tenants. The tennants sign a contract/lease agreeing to the terms and as result this third party agree to pay me the full rental should there be any problems with the tennant missing payments, doing runners etc. OK they take 10% for this and I do have a model tennant (for the past 3 1/2 years) but you never know when situations like yours are going to crop up, and you can bet your bottom dollar that these guys will have them out in the blink of an eye if they're having to stomp up the rent for them.
    As for the poster who said their landlord turfed them out after 1 month, both parties have to agree to a minimum 6 month let by law.

Cheers Paul

john_drummer
    Free Member

As for the poster who said their landlord turfed them out after 1 month, both parties have to agree to a minimum 6 month let by law.

yeah, I thought so too.

surfer
    Free Member

yeah, I thought so too.

The length of the tenancy is decided by both parties, it can be any period not a minimum of 6.

Rich
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

yeah, I thought so too.

Like I said, they asked us if we would leave after a month if they paid a little towards the moving costs, but obviously we didnt, and stayed the full 6 months we were entitled to.

grumm
    Free Member

Getting a tennant out

Which one was it, David or Neil?

Sorry, IGMC.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

"both parties have to agree to a minimum 6 month let by law."

You can agree to any length of fixed term contract. there is no law that states the minimum length of contract.
    Assured shorthold tenancy contracts are normally 6 months, but i've seen them for various periods of time from 3 months up to 7 years

hora
    Free Member

OP, please keep us updated. It could help for any other Landlords in the future.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Getting a tennant out following notice period…’ is closed to new replies.