Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Getting a singlespeed
  • beerbelly
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a singlespeed is it a good idea i weigh 16 stone ?

aw
    Free Member

of course…:-)

sharki
    Free Member

reguardless of your weight, your legs are used to it so try it….

Get something that can be ran with gears so you can keep it if you don’t get on with ss.

It’s not for everyone, but you do need to give it a chance like a lots of rides instead of dismissing it after one or two trys.

theotherjonv

I’m about 14.5-15, and I can do it. I thought it was the preserve only of riding gods but after a ride or two I was hooked.

Try it and see, and as above – give it a chance. My first was a std hardtail with a tensioner etc. so i could have always gone back – but I didn’t and now I have a dedicated ss frame.

zaskar
    Free Member

I found it fun at first but restrictive as I ride to the trail and psin out then at the trails it’s great. Riding back I’m knackered so spinning out is fine.

I’m putting gears back on this weekend!

JxL
    Free Member

Also building a single speed, although it will be winter if not next summer before it is finished!

Aiming for something like this…

Not sure though whether to put some 100mm SiD Race up front or rigid carbon forks!

Mister-P
    Free Member

You can gear it according to fitness / climbing strength and always tinker with it as you get used to it. Do it but as sharki says if you are not 100% sold on the idea get a frame that can be converted to gears if need be.

Rorschach
    Free Member

SS is poinless, painful, joyless exercise in stupidity………of course you should get one.

ononeorange

I was 15 stone when I got one, I love it, took to it straight away. Thumbs could do with more exercise, though. Have even come down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. I’m now under 14 stone, by the way…..!

beerbelly
    Free Member

I will give it a try see how i get on

tommid
    Free Member

I weight about 17St why would your weight be an issue in getting a SS?
    I only ride SS and fixed (I Have been riding fixed for over 10 years before you all acuse me of being a Hipster). I think SS is better if you are a bigger more powerful rider. I often set the pace and have very rarely had any worries about keeping up with my geared mates.
    I ride a Surly 1×1 which is built to last even with the bigger rider…

JxL
    Free Member

Could anyone give me some idea of the gearing for offroad and a bit of climbing? I am after getting some cranks, and some on ebay are going with 32t front chain ring. Would that be okay, and what ring should I then have at the rear?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I went from a Kona with a SS conversion to a Genesis io and I blimmin love it!!! My Hookooekoo has hardly been used since it came along lol. 32 on the front is normal, I run 32:16 and find it more than capable on the trails. Climbing is a lot harder but it will really improve your fitness. I amused some full suss Santa Cruz folk when I cam scooting past them all fully rigid and pedalling like a loon lol(I am by no means and nowhere near a cycling God by the way!!)

takisawa2

I had one.
    And still would if funds would allow but it had to go to pay the kids nursery fees!!!
    I weigh the same as you & got on fine. It was a steel frame & I ran some RC31’s & then On-One carbons. (I discovered I was over the RC31’s weight limit.) Not as bone jarring as you’d think. Fitness wise mine improved & I climbed faster as I instinctively rode at the same pedaling cadence where it would allow.
    As an alternative to a FS it was great, wouldn’t fancy it as an only bike though. It makes you appreciate the FS & its ability. (& skill compensation!!!)

bent_udder
    Free Member

JxL – 2:1 is the classic gearing, but some people don’t have the strength / fitness for it immediately. If you have a 32t chainring (try and fine one that’s not ramped – a DH one is good) then 16t sprocket at the back will give you 2:1. I’ve known people to run 32/17 and 32/18 as well.

You can also go for bigger sprockets and chainrings to get the same ratio, but better pickup and lower wear. For example, I run a 36t chainring and 18t sprocket to give 2:1, but slower wear.

If you have a normal rear wheel with a freehub, you can use spacers and a sprocket to find the right ratio for you. I seem to remember some of the singlespeed kits come with16t and 18t sprockets. If you’re really cunning, you can run both sprockets at once, so it’s easy to swap between ratios if you’re getting knackered or have a long road section. Then you could also get one of those rear mech things… 😉

Basically, if you’re already a fairly strong rider, then 16t is as good a place as any to start. Expect to blow up occasionally, and also to push up at least a couple of hills on the first few rides / weeks / months.

MrAgreeable

What bent_udder said, except a lower ratio may also be worth considering if you ride lots of tight and twisty trails. I was running/rocking 32:16 but went to 32:18 and found it way more lively and fun.

D0NK

32×16 is the standard and I’d go with that, 32×15 or maybe even 14 if you live somewhere very flat, 32×17 if you regularly go up really steep stuff. But you’ll be surprised at what you can get up without a granny ring after a bit of practice.

oh and just to disagree (sorry B_U) I tend to blow up on geared bikes not SS, wierd eh? I think it’s cos with SS I just chill out and spin on the flats where I would be pushing a big gear on geared.

juan
    Free Member

Give it a try as said buy a nice frame with amech hanger and convert it as single speed.

Mine will have to get back to geared now as I live in a very very hilly region of the world 🙁 and I know I will miss it a lot.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Blatent plug, but I have a nice SS for sale if anyone is interested.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-singlespeed-inbred-full-bike-good-spec?replies=1

theotherjonv

I use 32:17 because 17 is a prime number, therefore will only align itself with the chainring and chain exactly the same way once every 32×17 = 544 full rotations of the cranks, which broadly equates to every 1.4miles (assuming no coasting). Thus chain wear is far more even.

Either that or Brant was out of groove armada 16T cogs last time I bought one. I don’t recall exactly.

ski
    Free Member

Do you have many geared bikes beerbelly, you might find they will start to gather dust.

Go for it, what is the worst thing that could happen 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Having a SS complements my geared bike very well. I ride around the New Forest and Lordswood on the SS so it isn’t exactly hilly. I know you get some demented zealots on SS but I find it far more relaxing than the geared bike.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Getting a singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.