Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • getting a plain gold ring to fit better without cut/shut..options?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

seen various ideas/products about . just wondered what’s the best way to get a slightly loose ring to fit better without major surgery to either the ring or person!

Cougar

I am not a jeweller, but I think minor adjustments can be made by a jeweller just by heating it up and stretching / squishing it. You only need to cut and shut for major adjustments. I am not a jeweller.

What you need there is a jeweller.

scotroutes

Moar pize

Onzadog
    Free Member

Move it to a fatter finger?

wombat

Is there some way of making fingers bigger/fatter?

If there is, can the technique be used elsewhere?

Asking for a friend

bodgy
    Free Member

Most jewellers sell little plastic tube things that go around a section of the ring to take up some of the slack. Clunky tho. Just bite the bullet and have it resized – I had my wedding ring resized properly, as the thought of losing it was just awful. Only cost about £30, and you can’t see the join at all.

Edit: here you go.

rossburton
    Free Member

You can get metal clip-on wedges but they’re ugly, just get it resized. Trivial work and you’ll never know.

kilo

+3 for resizing I had mine taken in five sizes and you can’t notice any join. Alternatively try my old diet of curry, Stella and red wine with no cycling to put on five sizes.

theotherjonv

Is there some way of making fingers bigger/fatter

my wedding band fits fine on one ring finger and won’t go over the knuckle of the other where I had it smashed up in a goalkeeping injury.

(You didn’t ask how easy or painless it was)

wombat

theotherjonv – Member

Is there some way of making fingers bigger/fatter

my wedding band fits fine on one ring finger and won’t go over the knuckle of the other where I had it smashed up in a goalkeeping injury.

(You didn’t ask how easy or painless it was)

Apparently my friend doesn’t have a knuckle where they’re wanting to “adjust the sizing”….. 😉

CountZero

I believe goldsmiths have a machine that can reduce a ring in size, it might be hydraulic, I’m not sure, but I wear a very heavy silver ring on my thumb, which fitted ok when it’s hot, but as soon as my hands got cold it would slip off, especially if they were wet, and make a very loud ringing noise when hitting the ground.
    My mate’s a goldsmith, and tried to squeeze it down slightly, but the attempt was fruitless, it’s just too wide and thick, so he was forced to cut a slice out and force it together and solder it, and even that took some doing!

Kryton57

Alternatively try my old diet of curry, Stella and red wine with no cycling to put on five sizes.

This was/is genuine advice for me. At the same time I started training/racing I lost 2.5 stone and mine kept falling off and the was a post here about cyclist fingers getting ripped of due to rings being caught. Thats the last time I attempted to wear mine, and have kept it not resized for when I get back to sofa surfing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘getting a plain gold ring to fit better without cut/shut..options?’ is closed to new replies.