Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Getting a new swing arm made.
  • zippykona

Would prefer a narrower swing arm as my manly calf can hit it.
    It’s a single pivot so not many joins need making.
    Is this something that would be easily done? Carbon with bolt through drop outs would be excellent but aluminium is ok.
    I intend to keep my bike forever so would like it perfect.

taxi25
    Free Member

Nothings impossible, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing it. If you can find someone it won’t be cheap 😯

nemesis
    Free Member

Is this something that would be easily done?

Carbon

No. And it’d cost loads unless you’re willing to do it yourself.

aluminium

Easier but still expensive as it’d need machining for dropouts and pivots and then careful measuring/design/etc.

cookeaa

TBH if you’re willing to roll your sleeves up, do some research you’d probably find making your own composite swing arm quite rewarding and probably far easier than teaching yourself to weld (aluminium) properly…

probably easier to fix too if (when) you break it, IMO of course…

Which specific bike is this for?

goodgrief
    Free Member

Try a wider Q factor?

Stevet1
    Free Member

As an alternative to a new swingarm specialized make some doo-dahs that space your pedals out by 20mm each side-
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-pedal-axle-extenders-ec037162

zippykona

Grief,how would I go about that?
    In ye olden days I could have whacked in a wide BB.
    Edit Steve has answered. Do they bugger your knees?

goodgrief
    Free Member

Cranks with a wider Q factor and pedals with longer axles. Those adaptors pretty extreme, I was thinking more like 10mm gain rather than 40mm.

Even 83mm cranks with 5mm axle spacers either side?

wwaswas

This is the traditional stw start point. Use a Ti Spork if weight is a consideration.

Northwind

As a DIY option you could get a grinder and remove some calf.

AlasdairMc

Northwind – Member
    As a DIY option you could get a grinder and remove some calf.

While I like your thinking, perhaps compression stockings are the less extreme option?

Northwind

It’ll take ages to grind his calves off with compression stockings. You’re a monster.

(Calfs? Calves? This post just got serious!)

brant
    Free Member

Cranks with a wider Q factor and pedals with longer axles. Those adaptors pretty extreme, I was thinking more like 10mm gain rather than 40mm.

Even 83mm cranks with 5mm axle spacers either side?

83mm crank would screw your chainline.

Northwind

Though, with some gear options you could space the ring/rings back inwards. Not an option I like mind.

richmars

Carbon swinging arm? Easy.

ctk
    Free Member

Custom cranks? Groovy Cycles make cranks, I bet he could make some that angled out slightly.

http://www.groovycycleworks.com/hot-rod-cranks

TimothyD
    Free Member

http://www.vernonbarkercycles.co.uk/

He can repair alu frames, and strikes me as a skilled and creative person.

zippykona

Tim D that is a good lead ta.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Alternatively try a motorbike repair shop, I had a Ti frame repaired by one local to me and they had loads of custom swingarms hanging up inside the workshop.

porter_jamie

what frame do you have? i have a heckler and i was thinking a similar thing the other day – i wonder if a billet machined clamshell welded up one would weigh anything like the oe one. would be cool to have 142 rear perhaps, and personally i’d love a ride height adjuster as per most motorbikes, so you dont have to fanny about with offset bushes

brant
    Free Member

I’ve just been googling for the price of custom motorcycle swing arms.

Crikey.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, but motorbikes are for middle aged men with plenty of cash and a midlife crisis so they can afford to spend silly money on swingarms and the like.

Bikes are expected to cost the same as a pack of skittles and a magnum or someone will be accused of profiteering 🙂

zippykona

It’s a Superlight 29. It really just needs the top tube kinking in a bit.

Northwind

Good idea Brant, get Gia or someone to knock one up. Single sided, stretched, slammed and for a 250 section rear tyre for maximum blingz.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How about steel. In bet that would be relatively easy for a bike builder.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, machining pivots, etc is the work of moments 🙂

neilwheel
    Free Member

It would be easier to modify the existing arm than build a new one, and would then require heat treatment and re-finishing.

zippykona

It would need dishing in where I’ve coloured it in black. There’s tons of tyre clearance so that wouldn’t be an issue.
    The left side is ok.

TimothyD
    Free Member

You could possibly ask Vernon Barker to simply modify the swing arm for you if he can repair alu frames?

He might be able to remove the top piece of tubing and replace it with a differently shaped bit.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Getting a new swing arm made.’ is closed to new replies.