Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Getting a motorcycle licence
  • maxray
    Free Member

Is there a direct way of getting your bike licence when you already have a car licence? Is it just a practical test or do you have to do specific bike theory?

5thElefant
    Free Member

You have to do CBT, theory and a test. Having a car licence doesn’t exempt you from any of it (oddly).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069867

You need to do a CBT to use a bike at all – thats a basic acar park type test. Then you can ride a 125 on L plates for 2 years then you either need to do a full test or go back to a car for a year.

You can also do direct access which means doing a big bike test straight away – needs a fairly intensive course of lessons asd you cannot practice on the big bike without suprevision.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I did direct access 8 years ago, CBT first and then onto 500cc honda (not a sports bike) had a weeks worth of 4 hours a day lessons before taking my test. You’ll have to do your theory test too.

anagallis_arvensis

I did direct access in five days,worth noting that the 500cc bikes are easier to ride!

TheFlyingOx

Might be worth hanging on a while. They’re changing the swerve test from “at least 50 kph (31.2 mph)” to “around 30 mph”. You only get two goes at it, and if you do the swerve at, for example, 30 mph then they currently class that as too slow. You then over-correct for the second attempt, give it more beans, start the swerve at 34 mph and fall on your arse. And fail.

johnners
    Free Member

Pah, you youngsters and your new-fangled “training”. In the good old days you just had to ride round the block near the test centre a couple of times.

I believe I’m still entitled to ride the biggest, fastest motorcycle money can buy. Although I’ve not slung a leg over one for nigh on 30 years.

cbike
    Free Member

The year out rule was discarded years ago.

Don’t wait just do it!

bikan
    Free Member

Take a look at this website – it will tell you everything you need to know – and even get you a free ride.

http://www.geton.co.uk

yodagoat
    Free Member

Just do it. Best thing you’ll do.

martinxyz
    Free Member

You need to take a cbt course.you can ride a 50cc with this under your belt upto 2 years but if you want to ride a bigger bike you can go for an A1 or A2 licence.

A1 allows you to ride no bigger than a 125cc with a max power of just under 15bhp.

A2 licence allows you to ride medium sized motorcycles upto 33bhp with a power to weight ratio of 0.21bhp per kg.To get the A2 licence you must sit the test using a bike bigger than 120cc yet under 125cc thats capable of 62.5mph.

Theres also a new accelerated access that folk will need to look into as they might not need to take direct access.. depending on circumstances/age.

Do it now before 2013 as they will only make it harder and harder! I think 24 years of age is going to be the minimum age for riding big bikes in a few years so its not all bad :O)

martymac

do it, i firmly believe it makes you a better car driver too, due to the need for better observation skills.
    wish i could afford another one.

samuri
    Free Member

Having a car licence doesn’t exempt you from any of it (oddly).

Having experienced first hand the way car drivers treat cyclists and motorcyclists, having a car license should IMO mean that you have to go through more tests than normal.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Pah, you youngsters and your new-fangled “training”. In the good old days you just had to ride round the block near the test centre a couple of times.

You had to ride round the block a couple of times!!! 😯

Pah, must be that new-fangled “training”. Once round the block was good enough in my day!!! 😉

Seriously, I find it quite amazing that I can legally ride anything – like something faster than could have ever have been dreamed of when I passed my test….

If I was starting again I think I’d go for the direct access route. I like the idea of the intensity of it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Getting a motorcycle licence’ is closed to new replies.